Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

New BYOC Fuzz Pedal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New BYOC Fuzz Pedal

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default New BYOC Fuzz Pedal

Buildyourownclone.com is about to roll out a new fuzz pedal, a clone of the classic Univox Super Fuzz. While perhaps not as well known as the Fuzz Face, Big Muff Pi and Tone Bender vintage fuzz pedals, it's still got quite a reputation among vintage effects mavens. Probably its most famous proponent was Pete Townshend of The Who, who used one for the better part of ten years. Big, nasty fuzz tone, with a bit of octave effect, though not as strong as an Octavia pedal. Here's a pic of a couple of different versions of the original:

There's some more info and a couple of clips posted HERE. I don't care for the death metal style stuff at the begnning of the MP3, but later on it calms down and you can get a better idea of what it really sounds like. Not for the faint of heart--definitely an extreme fuzz!

Anyway, we BYOC forum moderators get first shot at beta testing the new BYOC kits, so take a wild freakin' guess who has a beta kit coming? Should arrive next week. I'll post some progress pics and impressions of the completed pedal, when available....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

DVM,

I used to own and original back in the '80s. It was the blue/orange version. I think I bought it for $30-$40 and was probably lucky to get $40 for it when I sold it. I wish I still owned it now

Personally, I didn't like it back then. I never could get a sound out of it that I liked. But then again I'm not really a fuzz kind of guy. It will be interesting to see how BYOC implements it. Who knows, maybe my tastes have changed enough that I would like it.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Buildyourownclone.com is about to roll out a new fuzz pedal, a clone of the classic Univox Super Fuzz. While perhaps not as well known as the Fuzz Face, Big Muff Pi and Tone Bender vintage fuzz pedals, it's still got quite a reputation among vintage effects mavens. Probably its most famous proponent was Pete Townshend of The Who, who used one for the better part of ten years. Big, nasty fuzz tone, with a bit of octave effect, though nothing approaching an Octavia sound. Here's a pic of a couple of different versions of the original:

There's some more info and a couple of clips posted HERE. I don't care for the death metal style stuff at the begnning of the MP3, but later on it calms down and you can get a better idea of what it really sounds like. Not for the faint of heart--definitely an extreme fuzz!

Anyway, we BYOC forum moderators get first shot at beta testing the new BYOC kits, so take a wild freakin' guess who has a beta kit coming? Should arrive next week. I'll post some progress pics and impressions of the completed pedal, when available....
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely fizzier than the more murky Fuzz Face. Can't say I'm all that enamored with that clip. I'm still interested to see how it turns out for you. When it comes to fuzz, the question must be asked: germanium or silicon?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Silicon NPN bipolars--six of 'em. No wonder the thing has gain & distortion out the wazoo.

It's not my favorite fuzz style either, but "opinions vary widely" when it comes to effects in general and fuzzes, in particular--or so it seems to me. But since this was an opportunity to add a cool (and free!) vintage fuzz pedal to my collection, I couldn't pass it up. This fuzz apparently has lots of fans, so if I don't like it, I can always sell it to someone who does!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not my favorite fuzz style either, but "opinions vary widely" when it comes to effects in general and fuzzes, in particular--or so it seems to me. But since this was an opportunity to add a free vintage fuzz pedal to my collection, I couldn't pass it up. This fuzz apparently has lots of fans, so if I don't like it, I can always sell it to someone who does!
    Hard to beat free! Who knows? You might just fall in love with it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got it!

Got the beta kit yesterday and populated the PCB last night. Straightforward build and nicely laid out, but quite a few components for a fuzz. Should finish it up tonight.

The physical layout of this pedal is quite different from the "traditional" BYOC kit. I understand that it's representative of the new direction Keith Vonderhulls wants to be taking with his pedal kits. The I/O jacks are mounted on the top side of the enclosure, along with (Spuds will LOVE this) the AC adapter jack. Will make it easier to daisy-chain on a single power adapter.

I'll post some pics, if Keith is comfortable with that (I've asked & am waiting for his answer). It is, after all, a beta design and things could change before the commercial release, so he may not want pics getting out yet.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Just heard back from Keith, and he doesn't mind, so here are two photos. The first is the completed PCB "fit up" with the hardware, but not soldered in yet, and the second is just a PCB closeup:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

'Bout as subtle as a punch in the face, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

There are times when a punch in the face is exactly what's needed. Sonically speaking, of course. No reference to any volume swell thread postings stated or implied....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here are a couple of pics of the fully assembled pedal:

Sounds pretty damn good, but definitely a pedal-to-the-metal fuzz. I like the heavily scooped tone setting mopre than the mid-boosted one--huge, rumbling bottom end. I'm still playing around with the trimpot some. I can get excellent fuzz/sustain, but the octave effect isn't very noticeable. Not as much as I've heard on some video clips, anyway. Need to dial it in a bit more.

As far as the pedal build goes, I really like this new layout. I think Keith has a real winner with this new design. Smooth build, no glitches found in the kit, and everything functions perfectly. I'll try to post a sound clip in the next day or two.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Very good work, DVM. That pedal looks great and looks like a winner. I like the uber-clean layout. :

tung

Sounds pretty damn good, but definitely a pedal-to-the-metal fuzz. I like the heavily scooped tone setting mopre than the mid-boosted one--huge, rumbling bottom end. I'm still playing around with the trimpot some. I can get excellent fuzz/sustain, but the octave effect isn't very noticeable. Not as much as I've heard on some video clips, anyway. Need to dial it in a bit more.

As far as the pedal build goes, I really like this new layout. I think Keith has a real winner with this new design. Smooth build, no glitches found in the kit, and everything functions perfectly. I'll try to post a sound clip in the next day or two.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Tung got me started thinking about how I'll finish this pedal, so I started noodling on the Who/Townshend connection of this vintage effect and came up with a basic concept. Now I just have to decide how I want the graphics to look. I've got that pretty well defined, but I'm undecided on the font to use for the word "FUZZ". Take a look at my 4 candidates on the graphic attached, and let me know which one you like:

Haven't decided if I'll paint the pedal white, as these mock-ups show, or some other very light color, like perhaps a cream or very light blue, or maybe even my "standard" silver metallic. Open to suggestions....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

There are times when a punch in the face is exactly what's needed. Sonically speaking, of course. No reference to any volume swell thread postings stated or implied....
    : 'And that's all I have to say about that'

As for the pedal, my preference would be #2 as well.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys--looks like a pretty clear concensus on #2. That was my preference, too!

Thanks for that link, Robert. :

Here's the winner, full size:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    'Bout as subtle as a punch in the face, eh?

Yep, I agree, but I like it! A fuzz should distinguish itself from other overdrive/distortion/dirt pedals, and that sound certainly does. I guess I am of the mind that a Fuzz pedal is not about subtlety. My fuzz I already own also is not so subtle. I will be interested in hearing clips of the "as-built" pedal when you are done.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I like #2 and #3. Here are a few more cool looking fonts - http://www.bittbox.com/freebies/5-ex...-grunge-fonts/
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm late to the party but it's ok cause I liked #2 also.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Here I am! #2 as well, so I guess it's all good!

Post Thanks / Like

Number 2 was my choice also, nice looking graphic, the layout on the pedal was super clean also. Nice work, Vood!:
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast