Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New BYOC Fuzz Pedal - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New BYOC Fuzz Pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, my Little Big Muff Pi works just fine and can certainly get in my face, but if I didn't have one. . .
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know enough and haven't heard enough of the original pedal to judge how good of a clone it is, but it seems to be a pretty versatile heavy-duty fuzz.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

If you already own a Big Muff or clone thereof, you won't really need one of these. But if you want an over-the-top fuzz in that genre, or if you're a huge Who/Townshend fan, this pedal is a good choice.

One comment on that tone toggle--rarely (in my experience, anyway) does throwing a switch result in such drastically different tone from a pedal. Maybe I should label the two toggle positions "day" and "night"!

I really like the new layout--quicker build and cleaner result. The only tricky part is the tight soldering work required to connect the AC adapter jack to the PCB. Provided comments to Keith on that, so who knows--he may make a change or two. After all, this is a beta kit. I'll post here when the commercial kit becomes available....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

If memory serves, DVM's clone sounds a lot like the vintage version. I wish I still had my original to say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    One comment on that tone toggle--rarely (in my experience, anyway) does throwing a switch result in such drastically different tone from a pedal. Maybe I should label the two toggle positions "day" and "night"!
    I like that! : You should consider using them as labels for your pedal.

I really like the new layout--quicker build and cleaner result. The only tricky part is the tight soldering work required to connect the AC adapter jack to the PCB. Provided comments to Keith on that, so who knows--he may make a change or two. After all, this is a beta kit. I'll post here when the commercial kit becomes available....
    If anything, I bet the clone is quieter and laid out better. The originals had pretty cheesy PCBs in them and were kind of noisy.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    If anything, I bet the clone is quieter and laid out better. The originals had pretty cheesy PCBs in them and were kind of noisy.
    Yeah, I saw a "gut shot" of an old Super Fuzz posted on the net, and it was indeed a cheesy looking affair. The BYOC boards are just gorgeous--best I've ever seen.

As far as noise goes, I'm sure that modern component quality helps--metal film resistors, box metallized film capacitors, etc. But it's still a pretty noisy pedal just due to the nature of the circuit. These multi-transistor gain stage distortion and fuzz pedals all seem to be prone to high noise levels, and this one contains six high-gain NPN bipolar trannies (2N5088's). I definitely wouldn't want to run one of these with my S-S-S Strats at positions 1-3-5 without a noise reduction pedal. Didn't seem to have a high amount of intrinsic noise (i.e. fundamental to the pedal itself), but it sure boosted the single coil 60 Hz hum noticeably. Not bad at all with humbuckers or at the hum-cancelling 2 & 4 positions on my Strat.

The other good point is that it doesn't take much on the volume knob to get to overall "unity gain". With the fuzz/gain knob at about 1:30, I only had to run the volume at ~9 o'clock. That's about the lowest I've seen in the pedals I've owned/built. So you're generally down below where any hum gets really objectionable.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, like I said, if I didn't already have a Big Muff that I am happy with, I would put this on the list. The versatility you mention in this pedal, and also the incredible versatility built into my Mouse v.2 (Rabid Rodent) you built for me is really a plus, if you are getting a pedal. Plus the nice parts and great build that you do. I am pretty much clueless about all that, but I can sure recognize the appreciation expressed by folks like Tung, who do know.

If you already own a Big Muff or clone thereof, you won't really need one of these. But if you want an over-the-top fuzz in that genre, or if you're a huge Who/Townshend fan, this pedal is a good choice.

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Painted & decaled:

Last edited by duhvoodooman; November 5th, 2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added the obligatory "gut shot"

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Stellar work, DVM. :

tung

Painted & decaled:

I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Very shagadellic man.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123