Thread: Spider Valve...Returned it today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Valve...Returned it today

After having the Spider Valve 212 since Oct. 4th, I finally decided after the honeymoon was over, to return it today to GC. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad amp, but that's about as far as it goes after spending some time with it...my opinion anyway.

The two high gain channels...metal and insane...are pretty useless, for me anyway. I found the blues and crunch channels to be too dark sounding, and the cleans not as clean as I'd like. Alot of the presets are very good, but I began to notice that on low or medium volumes, the amp does display some digital "brittleness" to it....I compared it to my Flextone III XL several times, and I much prefer the tones of the Flextone. The Flextone to me, had better highs, less thumpy mids, and a tighter bass.

I returned the amp and found a pristine used Peavey Delta Blues 210...Not a scratch on it or scuff, and CLEAN. The original owner even installed the tube tamer on the power tubes. I've been wanting a Delta Blues for some time, and why I never got one, I don't know...awesome amp.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Wise choice on the Delta. Congrats.

I haven't found any charm in the Spider Valve either. Now the Delta on the other hand....speaks.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Wise choice on the Delta. Congrats.

I haven't found any charm in the Spider Valve either. Now the Delta on the other hand....speaks.
    Agreed. The Spider Valve isn't a "terrible" amp...I think though if they had done more with the amp models, such as on the Flextone, it would be a good sounding amp. I found the Spider Valve to be lacking in sustain, harmonics, and found the highs to be spikey and the lows to be too overwhelming.

The Delta Blues is awesome, and in my opinion one of the most under-rated amps out there.

The cool thing too is that the previous owner installed a tube tamer on the Delta Blues too...cool.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    The cool thing too is that the previous owner installed a tube tamer on the Delta Blues too...cool.
    So does the tube tame actually work? I get horrible rattle with JJs around the house. I can't really hear it at gig level though but if it's one of those things that will make a difference I'd certainly consider making the investment.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to...by retaining the power tubes, I haven't heard any rattle at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frisellfan19
    That Line 6 Spider Valve is a piece of shit and so is pretty much everything that company makes. I have a DL4 that I love, but that's really the only pedal that has even remotely impressed me.
    There you go...let it all out now.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

TS, I tried to like that amp. It didn't do it for me either. I like my old PodXT just fine for recording but that's about it. I'm not a tube snob either. I get pleasure outta playing through some SS amps as well. Look on the 'bay for a DuoVerb. There are the best amps Line 6 ever made.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bogner makes a fine amp... I tried the Spider, and didn't want the modeling/tube combe for what I was looking for. I think Line 6 Spider amps have provided a lot of bang for the buck for many guitarists.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Good decision to return it. I heard that Bogner wants to bring out a cheaper pure Bogner series that will be approx. the same price category as the Spider Valve. As far as I heard the sales numbers of the Spider Valve are very bad.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    As far as I heard the sales numbers of the Spider Valve are very bad.
    Which could mean in the very new future you might be able to pick one up super cheap...that is if you really want one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    TS, I tried to like that amp. It didn't do it for me either. I like my old PodXT just fine for recording but that's about it. I'm not a tube snob either. I get pleasure outta playing through some SS amps as well. Look on the 'bay for a DuoVerb. There are the best amps Line 6 ever made.
    I thought the Spider Valve sounded pretty good at first, but the more I played it, the more dull it sounded to me. The cleans just didn't have that shimmer or sparkle, and the lows were too flabby, and the mids seemed to deep...It just seemed to lack something.

I have a POD XT too and love it and owned a Duoverb combo..excellent amp. I have a Flextone III XL now that I REALLY like....

I think Line 6 makes some good products, I just think they missed on the Spider Valve. I think if they would have made a tube model of the Flextone III or Duoverb, they would have had a winner.

What kills the Spider and the Spider Valve are weak amp models (some which are actually based on a "mix" of several amps). Taking the platform of a Spider and putting tubes in it, did little I think, to improve the tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Good decision to return it. I heard that Bogner wants to bring out a cheaper pure Bogner series that will be approx. the same price category as the Spider Valve. As far as I heard the sales numbers of the Spider Valve are very bad.
    Bogner is coming out with the Alchemist...40 watts, in a head, 112 combo, and a 212 combo. I think the 212 combo is going to go for about $300 more than the Spider Valve 212