Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hagstrom Viking Standard, Review - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hagstrom Viking Standard, Review

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, you hit on one of my favorite things about my Hag is that it doesn't need anything. They built it right the first time. You can just focus on playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review. We have to shops nearby that have a bunch of Hagstroms. I have to go play them now after I read your review. Your guitar looks beautiful an I think it is very important that you feel to play in a different way with it than with your other guitars.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rabid Rodent Byoc guitar pedal

Hey Sunvalleylaw !

I m thinking about get a DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Byoc guitar pedal, could you give a little review on how it works and how it sounds..

Thanks

Blazes:
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sure, will do. I will put some thoughts together later and post in the BYOC v.2 Mouse thread started by DVM. I am not promising, but I may get the chance to do a clip or two also.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet guitar & you've copped some nice Santana-esque tones.

Did you think about a Reverend Manta Ray when you were looking for a 335-style guitar?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Sweet guitar & you've copped some nice Santana-esque tones.

Did you think about a Reverend Manta Ray when you were looking for a 335-style guitar?
    Thanks! It is fun to try and find tones on this thing, and my strat for that matter. To answer your question, no, I really didn't. Not because it would not be nice, but I have never seen a Reverend guitar in person, and although the Hagstrom has some little tweeks that bring it slightly off center in 335 style land, it is still a bit more traditional seeming to me overall. I have been attracted to the Hagstrom since someone (I think Elavd) put up a "which 335" thread some time back. I also found a great deal, and I really liked the clips I found that demonstrated good cleans AND a good rawk sound. And I do tend to stay a bit close to traditional markers in my guitar taste. I admire your taste in guitars, and I remember your saying you like to look for things that are a bit different. I bet that Manta Ray would be great.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched the Hagstrom Review from Guitar World.

That is one sweet axe. I love the headstock & the trapeze.

Very quirky yet classy.

:
    I pick a moon dog.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the candidates if I win the raffle.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I believe I have my first case of GAS!!!!!!:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Power
    I believe I have my first case of GAS!!!!!!:
    He's joined the cult!

Someone get him looking at & listening to some amphs & we'll have a keeper.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    He's joined the cult!

Someone get him looking at & listening to some amphs & we'll have a keeper.

Yep, gotta decide on an amplifier setup still. Think I'm set on the Viking as the first electric in my collection though!:

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody want to chime in on whether I can get a truly aggressive punk/metal sound out of a semi-hollow such as the Viking?

I know bands such as Tiger Army (if anyone knows who they are....) use semi-hollows to good effect. I believe their guit player uses a Gretsch Duo-Jet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Vik Power, here is a vid (of NOT me) getting some punk tones out of a red Viking like mine at between about a half minute to a minute and a half in.

I think it can, especially with a pedal like the Rabid Rodent DVM built for me.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about punk/metal out of a hollowbody, but this guy can get pretty heavy with one :
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Vik Power, here is a vid (of NOT me) getting some punk tones out of a red Viking like mine at between about a half minute to a minute and a half in.

I think it can, especially with a pedal like the Rabid Rodent DVM built for me.
    :

That was excellent! Any ideas on amp/effects this guy might be using?????

I just read last night that Tim Armstrong of Rancid is a big Hagstrom Viking user as well so.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    Not sure about punk/metal out of a hollowbody, but this guy can get pretty heavy with one :

I wouldn't have guessed that Lifeson played one! : Very cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No I have no idea what he was using. Double click the vid above and it will take you to youtube and you can see if he says, or ask him. I did not know that about Rancid, but it does not surprise me. You can get feedback so easily, semis are good tools I think for making loud, punkish noise.

That is a cool Lifeson pic too Trev!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    No I have no idea what he was using. Double click the vid above and it will take you to youtube and you can see if he says, or ask him. I did not know that about Rancid, but it does not surprise me. You can get feedback so easily, semis are good tools I think for making loud, punkish noise.

That is a cool Lifeson pic too Trev!

Thanks for the tip about double clicking on the youtube link. I didn't know that it worked like that. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any of that info is included. The guy does have a website though and I'll do some further research there......

Post Thanks / Like

Uncle Ted did fine with his semi-hollow for hard rock.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast