Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hagstrom Viking Standard, Review - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hagstrom Viking Standard, Review

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Power
    I wouldn't have guessed that Lifeson played one! : Very cool!
    That, my friend, is the one-off 355 that Gibson gave Mr. Lifeson at the end of a factory tour in '77. In an interview, Alex said he almost cried when he saw his name engraved on the truss rod cover. It's a beaut, for sure!
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This artist page http://www.hagstromguitars.com/artist.html shows a lot of artists who play Vikings and others, including a vid with Dweezil Zappa playing a Vik that has been modified. Looks like plenty of folks get pretty hard sounds out of them.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Blazes, that is the Vik II, which is a bolt on neck. I am not an expert, but I am told that makes a difference.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

That is, if anything, a very beautiful guitar. Nice review! Now, if only I had a bunch of extra cash lying around...
    It's got six strings, right? What more do you need to know?

Guitars: Breedlove passport D20, Ibanez SR400, Xaviere XV 820
    amps: Yamaha DG-60
    musical experience: drummer/ lead singer in punk outfit --> drummer/guitar/singer in psychedelic jam-band --> drums/bass/guitar/singer in folk band --> drummer/ lead vocals in experimental band http://www.myspace.com/adnascentia --> guitar/ lead vocals in indie band http://www.myspace.com/itsanoreaster

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering how you like this guitar now that you've had a chance to get to know it a bit more. I've already paid for one from an eBay seller named Tim (Mauery, I think). I've talked with him on the phone and I think he might be the same guy that you mention in the thread. I believe he lives in Salisbury, MD. I can't really change my mind about the purchase but I was wondering if the guitar has performed to your expectations and how you like the sound and quality of the guitar now that you've had it a while.

By the way, I'm a new member to the forum and I am learning without an instructor. I currently play an Alvarez AD60 acoustic and have been playing for about 3 months. I haven't even purchased an amp to use with the Hagstrom but will probably buy a small Fender Frontman practice amp to start with. Musician's Friend has 4 of these amps ranging from 10 to 25 amps and from $60 - $100. Any info or advice will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Bluenote; November 28th, 2009 at 07:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bluenote

I got the Viking Deluxe the same time SVL got his Viking Standard. We both got them from Tim and he gave us a more than fair deal.

I just got around to changing stings on mine and now I'm playing it a lot more. It has held tuning well. The neck is very stable and a gas to play. If you are looking into one from Tim I think you'll be happy with your purchase. The Vikings that I've had my hands on have been very well crafted and if you do buy from Tim he has very good customer service.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no G.A.S.! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote
    I was wondering how you like this guitar now that you've had a chance to get to know it a bit more. I've already paid for one from an eBay seller named Tim (Mauery, I think). I've talked with him on the phone and I think he might be the same guy that you mention in the thread. I believe he lives in Salisbury, MD. I can't really change my mind about the purchase but I was wondering if the guitar has performed to your expectations and how you like the sound and quality of the guitar now that you've had it a while.
    Hi Bluenote! Welcome! Stop on over and post an intro in "The Fret Players" section. You will get a bunch of warm welcomes and get to know a few folks I am sure. I was out of town this weekend and am just getting around to replying to you.

As Spudman noted, he and I both bought our Hags from Tim. I was quite pleased and the review above tells it. Well, a year later and I feel the same way. Expectations, sound and quality fully met, and exceeded frankly. I did not think I was going to get this nice a guitar when I ordered it. The guitar sounds great, plays great, and was exactly the right second electric for me to buy. I suspect and bet you will be pleased. It will be fun for you to play around with blending the bridge and neck pups, playing full neck and full bridge, and messing around with the tone knobs. Lots and lots of tones in the clean section. And then when you feel like getting dirty and rocking it up, it will take you there fast. Sustain for weeks! Lots of fun for sure, and it has not diminished in the first year's ownership.

It is a good season for this guitar, as I am doing jazzy/bluesy versions of Christmas tunes, going for smoky jazz tones with a bit of sparkle. And mine is a good color for the season too. Have fun! EDIT: BTW, what color did you get?

Oh, and re: the amph, I would say save just a little more and get a Vox DA-5 at least, or just a little more yet and get a Peavey Vypyr 30. Lots to play with there, and a good sound for the money. More versatile than the really little frontman amphs I think.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for responding. The guitar arrived yesterday and I was able to briefly check it out in the evening after work although as I mentioned I don't yet have an amp to plug into. The one thing that I noticed right away was that one each of the tone and volume knobs was loose. Aside from prying the pot shaft wider at the top I think the solution to the problem would be to replace the knobs as an easy fix. The loose knobs just seem to have a bit too large opening. Does anyone know if these pot shafts are course or fine splines? Also, just wondering if you guys registered your guitars with Hagstrom for warranty purposes?

Aside from the loose knobs the guitar looks great and for the money it looks like a lot of guitar. I'll post again about that once I have played it (with my limited abilities).

I'll gladly accept any advice on fixing the loose knobs and what the spline sizes are.

Thanks for the welcome Sunvalleylaw and I will try to post in the newbie section with an intro soon. BTW, I have the red Viking. I actually found Fret.net by doing an image search for Viking on Google and pictures of your guitar came up from this site.

Post Thanks / Like

If those shafts are split then gently take a flat blade screwdriver to them and very carefully put a little pressure in the split to make it wider. It doesn't take very much. If they are not split then try Teflon plumbers tape around the shaft and then put the knob back on. It shouldn't take much of this either.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response Spudman. The pots have the split shaft so I'll try to widen them a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

new GEAR GAS

1st I learned about Collings Guitars
    then Heritage Guitars
    now these GAS AND MORE GAS i NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY REAL BAD. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a pic of me with the new Viking that I bought from Tim. I'm still deciding on the amp and giving that Peavey Vypyr that Sunvalleylaw recommended some serious thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sweet! Looks very familiar. Re: the amph, make sure you go play one, and also a Vox AD 30 or something like it. I like the Peavey a lot, but when you go play it you will probably need to tweek the pre-sets it has dialed in, unless the shop has already done so. At least I did. They tend to come set up to be oversaturated with gain. Have fun with that new axe!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. It may be difficult to play that particular amp without traveling maybe an hour or more.. The music shops in the area have limited showroom stock but I'll do some calling around about it. It is part of the reason that I shop online so much (cost savings can be substantial also).

I was wondering if this is the amp that you have and also what you think of the smaller Peavey Vypyr 15. As far as output for a live performance I don't anticipate that happening any time too soon so I am thinking of this first amp as a practice amp really. The other difficulty with my selection process is that I've never owned or really played much electric guitar so I don't know what features are valuable in an amp. With the limited playing that I've done all that I can really hear is that adjusting the guitar's tone controls changes the sound from low to high (like bass/treble) and reverb creates an echo-like effect? I'm not sure what too much gain would sound like.

I would like to achieve a David Gilmour-like sound (as much as I can without a Strat) for playing some of the leads that he has written over the years that I will be trying to learn at some point. Otherwise I don't have a desired sound in mind. I think that I should be able to play clean jazz tones with the Viking also? I'm unsure how to manipulate sound through the amp/distortion box stuff so anything you can suggest would be a great help if you might have the time to give me a bit of advice on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My advice is to find a solid state amp, used, on craigslist. Look for something 20w or more. I ended up with a Fender Stage 1000 (1 x 12, solid state with digital flanger, reverb, tremolo, delay etc) with a foot pedal. I've been really pleased with this amp. It was basically brand new, I got it for $200.

An SS amp with some digital effects or models will be good to mess around with and discover your sound. The digital effects are great to play around with, to see what you like. I didn't fully appreciate my Fender amp until I got a Blackheart Little Giant...I had read so much hype about tubes that I continually second guessed the Fender. I was wrong. I use the Fender more often than my LG.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions and info Commodore 64. I got a recommendation for the Peavey Vypyr 30 from Sunvalleylaw and I think it was good advice. I've been playing the amp now for a few days and still exploring all of the options. So far it has been nothing but pure enjoyment. I really like the versatility of the Vypyr. At this point I don't play out so it is everything that I need and I think it will serve me well as I am developing my skills.

Post Thanks / Like

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast