Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Hagstrom Viking Standard, Review
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hagstrom Viking Standard, Review

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Hagstrom Viking Standard, Review

There have been a bunch of posts about this guitar ( http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8598&page=5 ) and of course Spud's Hagstrom Viking Deluxe thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8817 ). But I have not done a review or made anything but general comments and thought I would consolidate my thoughts into a more formal review. This review may be a work in progress and I may add to it as time goes, but here are my impressions after having it a few weeks.

1. Looks, fit and finish - all very good. It is just beautiful looking to me. Although the seller had some nice looking "B" Stocks, I went with the "A" stock so I would have full warranty. And it is a beautiful thing. The above are the pics I have so far, and I will add some natural light ones sometime soon. The binding on the headstock with the mother of pearl is really nice, and complements the nice cream binding on the neck and body. Yes, the plastic is now off the pickguard and pups. Came off right after that second pic was taken.

2. Neck - I love the slim, fast neck. As many here know, I was looking for a humbucker guitar to diversify from my strat. I could not get used to a Les Paul neck, and nothing else, save for possibly a Gretsch Electromatic, was wowing me. Necks are still very important to me. This one is fast, easy to play, and has that "just right" feel to me. It has Hagstrom's special H shaped truss rod that gives it stability, despite being very thin. Fits me well. The only quibble I have at all, (and really my only quibble with the guitar) is that this one has just the slightest amount of catching on the tops of the fret ends. Nothing that requires dealing with, but if I was going to be real picky, I could have them smoothed just a tiny bit to make them absolute butter.

I really like the fretboard, which is made of a dense composite wood material they call Resinator. It has a good, fast feel that allows for a lot of control, and to my ears sounds great.

It has a nice quality self lubricating graphite composite nut. Its tuners seem to be of good quality and have a cool, retro look, and they work well.

3. Pickups/Tones - Hagstrom proprietary HJ-50 humbuckers. The guitar is resonant and projects nicely unamplified. Nice woody tones. I like all three positions, neck, both and bridge, and although I have not figured out all the tones that can be dialed in with the two volume and two tone knobs, it has both great, warm, woody, jazzy clean tones, and ballsy, sustainy, feedbacky rock tones, with lots of variation in each. The neck position is very warm and sultry. Kicking on the middle with both pups adds some spank, and oomph. I really like having the neck full on and dialing back the bridge just a little to have a touch of spank and a lot of warmth. The bridge just rocks and I can really see getting some rockabilly out of it once I learn some. The guitar sustains for days. Turn on an overdrive or a distortion and the thing kicks a$$! Several vid clips are linked in the threads above that give a good feel for the various tones.

4. Switches, pots, controls, jack - everything seems fitted very well, works great and seems to be of good quality.

5. Intangibles - the guitar somehow causes me to approach playing differently. Partly the feel, partly the sounds. In practicing songs I have been working on, previously only with my strat, I immediately found myself finding different places to play. Right now I am spending most of my time with its clean tones, but I am sure I will start using it to explore humbucker driven rock and roll, and learn to play with that feedback and sustain. I will always love my strat, but this is a great companion to it.

This link to the Hagstrom Viking page http://www.hagstromguitars.com/viking.html has links to three magazine reviews written by people with more knowledge and experience than I possess, and has a link to a great vid featuring the guitar. All of those reviews are favorable and I have to agree.

Those are my impressions after a few weeks, and I hope to add some clips and more photos, and more thoughts as the weeks go on.

Bottom line, two thumbs up : : , and I would highly recommend it to anyone considering one.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; January 19th, 2011 at 10:34 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review Steve!

Your smile on that picture tells more than a thousand words though

Does the Viking have the Super58 pickups? Those sound amazing imo ..
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great review Steve. I'm glad you're loving it so much. Gorgeous Guitar!!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

What a sweet guitar, your review is GASIN me up man: I love it when a nice guitar can be gotten without paying over 2000 dollas.

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys for the complements. I hope the review helps someone. M29, one of the great things about this guitar is that you can get a really nice playing and sounding 335 type guitar, and a ballsy one at that, for a very fair price. Tim Mauer, mentioned and linked in Spud's Vik Deluxe thread, can get one to a person's door, for under $400, and for a bit more, include a very nice hard case. I paid $430, and mine is full warranty A stock, and included the case you see in the picture. A nice, padded hard shell case by Guardian.

SS, the pickups on the vikings, both deluxe and standard, are matched Hagstrom HJ-50s. I am not familiar with the ones you are asking about, but these are very nice, and although I have a Dimarzio Virtual Hot PAF to use in something, I do not see switching these out.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; November 6th, 2008 at 11:01 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

excellent review....that is a beauty of a guitar and is a nice compliment to your strat!! :
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

That is just a neat looking guitar...even though it's red. *ducks* Just kidding I think it should be red and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I bet it does play as good as it looks.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review, Steve! : Thanks for taking the time to post it. And, unlike Tone, I'm very partial to red guitars--got two of 'em!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was initially really jonesing for the sunburst, but the Cherry was a much better deal through Tim, and now that I have it, I really like it! DVM, your red one also is a beaut!
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; June 23rd, 2009 at 10:46 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, Steve! Thanks for taking the time to post it.
    Beautiful guitar, and I also play differently on different guitars I own.
    I think the red looks gorgeous, btw.
    I only have one red guitar now....more on that later.
    Kudos on your killer deal on this one!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Not being a big fan of sunburst, I definitely think the red is better. It's simply a classy guitar.

I am also glad you've taken such a liking to the semi HB, but it's tough not to.

Now stop posting pictures, I'm cut off for awhile. The trade was ok, but buying another one would not go over well. Hmm, maybe I'll get a hold of the guy you bought yours from and see if he wants to trade $500 (or less) for one like yours.

Enjoy buddy, you earned that guitar.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, SVL - sounds (and looks) like you've got a keeper. I also enjoy going back and forth between my Washburn 335 clone and the Fullerton to play with the different tone colors and bite. Have fun!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Yep SVL that's a sweet ride.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default clip

As promised. I have not played around with this backer in a long while, and I am a bit surprised how rusty I feel/sound, but hopefully this gives an idea of how the guitar sounds. I tried a take of the intro through the intro solo, then did some various wanking trying out a couple of things to give some more guitar sounds.

This is with just a bit of overdrive (Bad Monkey with level turned down to about 9) into the C-30 mic'd. It is center switch position with both pups on, neck dimed, bridge turned down to 7 or 8, tone rolled back on the bridge to 5 or 6, and neck just a bit to 7.

http://www.box.net/shared/1jskcgro1m

I have not posted any clips in a long time, and I am not an accomplished player, but hopefully this gives a feel for some of the sounds. I am going to add a clean clip too at some point.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    As promised. I have not played around with this backer in a long while, and I am a bit surprised how rusty I feel/sound, but hopefully this gives an idea of how the guitar sounds. I tried a take of the intro through the intro solo, then did some various wanking trying out a couple of things to give some more guitar sounds.

This is with just a bit of overdrive (Bad Monkey with level turned down to about 9) into the C-30 mic'd. It is center switch position with both pups on, neck dimed, bridge turned down to 7 or 8, tone rolled back on the bridge to 5 or 6, and neck just a bit to 7.

http://www.box.net/shared/1jskcgro1m

I have not posted any clips in a long time, and I am not an accomplished player, but hopefully this gives a feel for some of the sounds. I am going to add a clean clip too at some point.
    Very nice Steve - sounds sweet and a good song for that guitar.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

excellent steve....nice playing and that guitar sounds great....i think i am going to start working on that song....can you link to the backing track?
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

stunning instrument and what a great deal.
    I bet it can sustain for days too!
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Though I feel as though I have been reminded to go back and practice old songs more often. I have been focusing on other things.

Warren, here is the backer, first post on this collab thread:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5557

Maybe it is time to fire it up again, or you can just download it and play around with it. It is a great backer for experimenting with the stuff a lot of us have been working on.

Andy, yes it can.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Warren, here is the backer, first post on this collab thread:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5557
    got it....thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast