Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Squier 20th Anniversary Standard Strat

Thread: Squier 20th Anniversary Standard Strat

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Squier 20th Anniversary Standard Strat

I'm making an appointment with my therapist tomorrow first thing, but before I do and deal with my G.A.S. problem I'd like to share the 20th Anniversary Squier Strat with you.

I found this used from an online reputable instrument seller for less than half its suggested retail price. The guitar came double boxed with peanut foam packaging to absorb the shock between the boxes. It also came with a cord and tremolo bar.

I must say that right off the bat I'm pretty impressed with this Indonesian built Strat. The body is standard thickness same as my Mexican Strat. The switch seems sturdy enough to last a while and so does the rest of the hardware. 2 point tremolo with block saddles, 70's large headstock(the Squier site says "60's headstock" but I don't think that is correct. Is it?), maple 22 fret one piece neck with skunk stripe and standard tremolo cover and zinc (I think) tremolo block. The reason I mentioned the tremolo cover is a standard is because the Chinese Special Edition Squier Strats have a tremolo cover that allows spring adjustment without removal. Those have 2 long holes in the cover. The fretboard is a 9.5" radius and feels great. And of course it comes with the standard alnico pickups. The strings line up well with all 3 pickups pole pieces.

The tuners are about the only thing I'm not crazy about, but I haven't really tested them completely yet. I also haven't taken the pickguard off yet to say what is underneath.

The finish on this one is a really nice, deep candy apple red on what I'm told is an Agathis body. On the back is a 20th Anniversary neck plate apparently made in 2002. Of the reviews for what is supposed to be this guitar, most of the people say it has 21 frets so I'm not sure who knows what.
    This is on the Squier website guitar specification chart: Product Prices, Features And Specifications Are Subject To Change Without Notice. That could be a reason along with 2 different countries making this model. This one has the gold Squier letters and others have black. It's confusing to me.

The sound is quite good. Totally Strat-like in all positions with good resonance and projection unplugged. The nut is cut right and accepts 10-46 strings. The frets are medium jumbo and are much bigger than my early 90's Mexican Strat. Feels good too and the action is just right with no buzzes.

Since it came to me used I can't really speak for what it was like brand new. Right now it is set up very well with no neck/fret problems what so ever and it plays real easy at A440.

I'll be giving it a workout in the weeks to come and will add to this post as I discover all its nuances. Yet for now I will have to say that the Squier Standard Series guitars are a very good for those on a budget.
    Last edited by Spudman; November 5th, 2006 at 01:33 PM.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.