Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viking Clip Clean - Attempt at Gravity, not clean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Viking Clip Clean - Attempt at Gravity, not clean

http://www.box.net/shared/6r8s7czx0f

I said I would put up a clip of the Hagstrom Viking played clean. I worked for over an hour yesterday recording a take that sounded pretty good for what I can do, re-doing mistakes, putting stuff together. This isn't it. LOL! I lost that one when my computer seized up from all my re-takes and crashed, and I hadn't saved my work. So this is a once through take starting off with a clam on the first note. On the chords, some are new shapes, and some I am trying to play with the thumb over the top, and I tend to bend the chord out of tune. At this point, I am just trying to form the chords and strum them once or twice between changes. As I get more comfortable, I will try to play them more like Mayer does. Anyhow, here it is clams and all. There is time left if someone wants to record over the second half of the backer.

The Viking was on the neck pickup, clean, tone turned up, volume most of the way up but not dimed.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Steve, its definately that classic hollow body sound.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great SVL. More member clips are exactly what this place needs! Thanks for posting.

PS, I think red was the way to go... classic!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good Steve!:
    Nice big 355 sound, your lead sounds good, and those chords will fall into place soon with a bit more practice. I'd like to hear another take later after you get more comfortable with the chords, to compare the two.
    Thanks for posting the clip, and sorry 'bout the lost take........
    that sucks, been there, done that, time consuming............
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

You make that that Viking sound sweet and clean Steve: The neck pickup has a nice open unclouded sound very nice indeed. You are gettin around that fretboard man, keep it goin. Nice clean recording especially for a one take. Like Algonquin says, we need lots of member clips:

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great job on the solo Steve. Lovely tone from that Viking!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

man that viking has some great tone! makes we want to plug in my artcore! i haven't played it plugged in in awhile (been on an acoustic kick lately)....but my new champ xd may change that!
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet tone, Nice job keep at it.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice tone, Sun! You got a good geetar!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys. One thought on the tone, the Vik has a really sweet sound, and there are no pedals on in this clip. So that points out how nice the Peavey C-30 is. A guitar straight in to the clean channel, set at 3 with some reverb turned on and the EQ flat. Mic'd with the SM57 into the Toneport into the computer. Thanks guys on the complements. Sorry about the sloppy chord work, but they are new shapes and are slowly coming. I will do a re-record when I am a bit better at the rest of it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Great job on the solo Steve. Lovely tone from that Viking!
    Thanks Lev, and thanks for all the great help you gave me getting started on this song. It gave me a much better understanding of what was going on in the song.

Now my mission is to nail it on both guitars, and put up a clip with the strat too. It has a whole different feel, and it is a strat song after all.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, nice bit of guitar playing. I'm especially impressed with the precision in your note bending.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Aeolian! That is a nice complement. The solo stuff is a mix of bends and slides. There are quite a few slides on the second solo part and the first part is more bending.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

The tone is really nice on this Steve and I could throw something on the end of this if you like:
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    So that points out how nice the Peavey C-30 is. A guitar straight in to the clean channel, set at 3 with some reverb turned on and the EQ flat. Mic'd with the SM57 into the Toneport into the computer.
    I'd like to try micing as opposed to using the Toneport amp models. I've got an old Fostex mic that was pretty similar to the SM58. Mics must have come down in price, as I see Shure SM57's going around the $110 price. I know they were more $$$ in the 80's, because mine was about $100 back then, and it was much cheaper than a Shure. Are you happy with the 57 SVL?... maybe I should get one, I'll scope the locals for a bit to see if I can find a good quality used one.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is pretty much the first one I owned, and most all my recordings have been through it. I have gotten complements on the recording on my clips I have posted here, and it seems to do a very good job of recording my set up. So yes, I am happy with it. It was a gift from my parents, along with a short mic boom that is perfect for my amph.

I like recording my gear mic'd a lot because then I get a sense of what my gear does for if I get a chance to play out with it. It is fun to play with all the Toneport amph models and stompboxes and such, but I tend to record with my live gear.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree, that's a really sweet clean tone with good body. I like the playing, Steve, and particularly some of the chord voicings - what chords are you playing there?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    It is fun to play with all the Toneport amph models and stompboxes and such, but I tend to record with my live gear.
    I'm still not getting this recording thing as far as what I need to record.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I just threw a quick couple of riffs at the end of this hope you don't mind
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast