Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Viking Clip Clean - Attempt at Gravity, not clean - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Viking Clip Clean - Attempt at Gravity, not clean

Post Thanks / Like

Very sweet cleans there, Steve. Nice sounding guitar....and amp! : :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zeusse
    I just threw a quick couple of riffs at the end of this hope you don't mind
    Heck no! I am honored. Thanks for hopping in! I have to put the kids to bed and will come back in a few and listen.

EDIT: Hey Zeusse, I had missed your first post on my way out of the office. I am glad you went ahead and hopped in. I love that about this place. I like listening to your approach and learning from your different way of approaching the melody. That is a really nice tone as well! Thanks again for joining me!
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; November 10th, 2008 at 10:14 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1
    Yeah, I agree, that's a really sweet clean tone with good body. I like the playing, Steve, and particularly some of the chord voicings - what chords are you playing there?
    Wow, that is weird, it is like a missed a couple posts before I left work.

The chords are a barre G with the the thumb on low E instead of barring across, C with thumb over the top again at eight with index barring the high E and B, G at 9, D at 10, mute A (there must be a real name for that voicing, but I don't know it. I got it off the sheet music). Barre Am7 at 5th fret, D7 with muted E strings, B at 3, G at 5, D at 4, A at 5, a tough Gm/Bb with A and D barred at 5, low E at 6, G at 7, B at 8, mute high E, EbM7 muting low E, A and high E at 6, G at 7, B and D at 8, and back to the D7, then back into G and C and repeat.

Now if you can follow that gibberish, . . . The chord voicings are one of the fun parts of this song. :

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I'm still not getting this recording thing as far as what I need to record.

Strum, there are a couple threads on it, but basically, you need a USB interface of some kind, (I like the Toneports, but lots of people get cheaper MAudio interfaces and others), and some recording software. Something like Audacity or Cubase or something. You can add pedals or multi effects (Does your multi effect have a USB out? Then plug it into the computer and record into Audacity) If not, plug that into a USB interface, dial in the tone you want, and go. You don't have to have the multi effect or processor, but lots of people like to. I like to mic my amph best. That goes through the USB interface too.

My first recording was a Guitar jack to audio input cable adapter thing, and I plugged directly into my computer. It worked, but not much signal.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That is a lovely and sweet guitar tone and the amph has a very direct articulation, strong in its tone. I like your clip very much, it has a nice mood and your playing get better and better - to be honest - I was surprised by the nice lines you played in the beginning! Great Steve!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jimi!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting the clips SVL

Your new Viking sure sounds sweeet

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, Thanks for the chords!
    Ted
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Mic'd with the SM57 into the Toneport into the computer.
    It's funny how these things have a chain reaction effect. You posted this and inspired me to make a post in this HR&SC Showcase as well. Had a conversation with you about miking amps with the sm57, then Roberts separate thread about the same microphone. Now I'm just waiting for the Purolator truck to arrive sometime later this week with a package for me :
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Sounds good Steve!:
    Nice big 355 sound, your lead sounds good, and those chords will fall into place soon with a bit more practice. I'd like to hear another take later after you get more comfortable with the chords, to compare the two.
    Thanks for posting the clip, and sorry 'bout the lost take........
    that sucks, been there, done that, time consuming............
    Well OG, I came back to this one. I had not been playing it, but dusted it off a few weeks back. A tiny little bit more comfortable with the chords (though I still struggle with combining my rhythm with lead), and attempted to keep the lead going to finish the song as Spudman said. So here it is. I will keep working on it and post again. This take is again with the viking, though I really love the strat on this song. The vik just happened to be home tonight while the strat is up at the office with the Fender.

http://www.box.net/shared/ks46bd9alr
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

My first time reading this thread. Sounds real nice Steve. Actually dozed off a little the first time listening to it. Nice relaxing, laid back and clean vibe.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I must have missed this thread the first time through. Way to go Steve! Love the tones from the Viking.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Kat and Syo for the kind words. I like playing around with that backing track. I am attempting to clear my next hurdle in playing, which is combining rhythm elements with lead elements. This song is a good opportunity for that. I spent a long time a year, year and half ago focusing on learning scales, modes, and lead lines, and noodling to backing tracks. Then I felt my rhythm playing suffered. That was a while back, and I have not cleared that hurdle to my satisfaction yet.

Since I realized that focus, I quit lessons for a while. I put some time into the Mark Wein materials, which really help by the way, but then a remodel to bring my mother in law into my house interfered with my playing time over the summer and early fall. Not much progress. And my playing in the time I have had since late fall has been devoted mostly to my acoustic end, as I joined an acoustic jam that plays mostly folk oriented stuff, and bluegrass. Plus I got my Martin which took me in that direction for a while. It is fun to come back to this essentially slow blues and mess around with it.

Though it is a strat song, and I really like my strat with it, the Vik does sound good on this IMHO.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Really great Steve, I love that you have the confidence now to improvise your own lines at the end. It's actually a pretty challenging song to combine lead and rhythm on because some of the chord fingering is a little unusual so take your time with it.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, SVL!
    Nice clean tone from that axe, too, btw. Sounds as good as she looks.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

very nice svl !!!! I respect the control...
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12