Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
A tribute to a dear friend and a great man!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tribute to a dear friend and a great man!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A tribute to a dear friend and a great man!

Last Friday Mike Roberts, an old friend and an incredible lawyer suffered a massive heart attack in Court. His life was saved by an Assistant District Attorney and a Court Coordinator. Here is the original story from the Waco Trib:

"Courthouse employees scramble to help save life of Waco attorney Mike Roberts who collapsed

Saturday, November 08, 2008

By Tommy Witherspoon

Tribune-Herald staff writer

Fast action by some cool-headed courthouse employees Friday morning may have saved the life of a popular Waco attorney.

Michael B. Roberts, who apparently was running late, was seen scurrying across Washington Avenue toward the McLennan County Courthouse early Friday. Seated in 54th State District Court for routine pretrial docket call, Roberts began experiencing difficulty breathing and suffered an apparent heart attack as Judge Matt Johnson was calling a list of defendants.

Johnson singled out the calm responses of Assistant District Attorney Wayne Coughran, 19th State District Court assistant court coordinator Ellen Watson and the team of courthouse deputies for jumping in and helping the 60-year-old Roberts before fire department first responders and ambulance service paramedics arrived to take over.

Coughran and Watson, who both have previous emergency medical training, started CPR on Roberts, whom Watson said was not breathing and did not have a pulse when they began.

“We knew we had to do something for him,” said Coughran, who like most of the 50 or so people in the courtroom at the time, appeared shaken and somber afterward.

Watson said she learned emergency training after her son was hit by a car when he was 4.

She said she felt so helpless then that she took a course so she would be better prepared in emergency situations.

Courthouse deputies Sgt. Jimmie Channon, Jack Campbell and Donald Taylor rushed a defibrillator from their first-floor office to the third-floor courtroom as Sheriff’s Office investigator James Pack, a former ambulance company paramedic, rushed over from the courthouse annex to help.

The deputies shocked Roberts with the defibrillator about 10 times and then turned over his care to paramedics as Larry Courtney, a courthouse deputy and Baptist minister, led a group that included Roberts’ wife, Wanda, in a prayer.

Roberts was rushed to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, where he was listed in critical condition Friday afternoon. Later Friday night, hospital officials said Roberts was still in critical condition."

After spending the weekend on life support they were able to revive him. Today's article from the Waco Trib:

"After being removed from life support following heart attack, Waco attorney Mike Roberts asks for a cigarette and beer

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

By Tommy Witherspoon

Tribune-Herald staff writer

One of the first things Michael B. Roberts did after he was removed from life support Sunday was to say he could really go for a beer and a cigarette.

His family and those who know him were relieved to hear about his requests, which signaled that he is feeling better and has not changed much.

Roberts, a Waco attorney, was still listed in critical condition Monday in Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center’s intensive care unit after suffering a major heart attack Friday morning at the McLennan County Courthouse. Sheriff Larry Lynch Monday praised deputies and others at the courthouse who used CPR and a defibrillator to revive Roberts, who, one attorney said, initially had no pulse and was not breathing.

“We are just taking it slow and easy,” Roberts’ son, Troy, said Monday from the intensive-care waiting room. “He is doing better and doing some talking and moving his limbs somewhat. He is not on life support anymore, so that is a good thing.”

Roberts’ other sons, Marcus, Malcolm and Cory, and his wife, Wanda, are keeping a close vigil at the hospital, Troy Robers said. They are joined in spirit by Roberts’ courthouse family, many of whom inquired about him Monday morning."

Now you guys know why I love him so much. Mike's got a hard road ahead of him, but we'll be here to help him every step of the way. Send as much mojo as you can friends, he's gonna need it.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Been there, done that.

BTW, are you related to this guy? "After being removed from life support following heart attack, Waco attorney Mike Roberts asks for a cigarette and beer"

and one final comment, when I saw the subject I thought this was going to be about me.:
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and don't take my comments the wrong way, you know I have a special place in my heart (no pun intended) for people that experience this sort of thing.

Humor is the best medicine. Go down there and make him laugh or send him this

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, yea, yea, I know what you're thinking. . . "who is that strange dude and what else does he stick up his nose???"

CB and I went over to see his wife Wanda on Friday night. CB also stopped in today to check in on him. He's very depressed right now and they're waiting for him to get strong enough for bypass. He has 70% blockage in four arteries, but Mike's the toughest SOB I know and he can make it.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

actually, i've been there three times, i went on saturday, too.

and i will go as often as i can, to help encourage him and be support to his family.

i have a candle lit for him, and pinkie swore to wanda that i would light one right after the other until he gets out of there. and he will.

he's one of the...

you know, there are lots and lots of wonderful people in the world.

sometimes, you run into people who just make your heart happy that you saw them that day.

he and his wife are like that.

please send mojo. they need it.
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Yea, yea, yea, I know what you're thinking. . . "who is that strange dude and what else does he stick up his nose???"

CB and I went over to see his wife Wanda on Friday night. CB also stopped in today to check in on him. He's very depressed right now and they're waiting for him to get strong enough for bypass. He has 70% blockage in four arteries, but Mike's the toughest SOB I know and he can make it.
    I understand the depression, it makes you realize you are not immortal. I remember I actually had myself convinced I would never die, now I'm just shooting for 900 years old.

He will be okay, the work they do with the heart, it's just amazing. Get his mind off the clogged arteries, tell him he has a bigger problem - tell him the heart only has three arteries and they will have to figure out where the fourth one came from.

Also tell him you know a guy in Ohio that had to get two stents and they had to go in through the crotch area. I knew my brain was in that area, but I was surprised to find out my heart was there too. I guess when I told girls my heart ached for them, I wasn't kidding.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Also tell him you know a guy in Ohio that had to get two stents and they had to go in through the crotch area. I knew my brain was in that area, but I was surprised to find out my heart was there too.
    DAMN! Either way you look at it, the doc didn't have much to work with.:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    DAMN! Either way you look at it, the doc didn't have much to work with.:
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Mucho mojo sent!! :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

sending major mojo to your friend and his family....
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers and mojo for your friend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Prayers and mojo on the way.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers and mojo sent.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mojo

Prayers and mojo for your pal. Yeah, ya just never know when that dude in the black cloak and carrying a sickle is gonna cut your legs out from under ya.

Very quickly, TWO days before my vacation in August, I had my blood pressure checked in work, just on a whim because I was talking to her about my daughter. WELL, I threw a 170/106 reading and WE were all like, Holy Crap!!! Saw my doc next day, got some BP meds (lisinopril) and went away. Come home two weeks later and saw the TOP heart doc in Philly. My BP was still high (160/100), he changed my meds and ordered a nuclear stress test. These meds worked and I passed the stress test perfectly last week. I was sweatin' bullets over that one.

Strum......dude, you wrote some FUNNY stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers and mojo sent.
    Best wishes and hoping for a speedy recovery for your friend.
    6 yrs. ago I had to drive my (then) construction supervisor to the hospital....he didn't want to wait for an ambulance. He was having severe chest pains......and drinking a cup of coffee and smoking a cigarette as I flew down the interstate to the hospital.: Got him there and after the tests found out he had a 90% blockage! After surgery and rehab he was back to work in 6 weeks.........and feeling better than he had in years.: You might tell Mike that story if it helps........
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Good thoughts and prayers to your friend.

Thank god someone was nearbye who knew CPR. It's not a hard thing to learn. If you're ever in a situation where you put the training to use you'll be very happy you took the course. Someone else of course will be even happier.

Thanks for sharing the story.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers and thoughts are with him and his family.
    Washburn J28SCE Cumberland
    Washburn D10S
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday
    Friends Are Cherished Music Is Pleasure

Post Thanks / Like

Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery :

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. I didn't have the chance to go see Mike today, but word at the Courthouse is that he was able to sit up and eat breakfast this morning, and they think he'll be strong enough for surgery by Friday. They were very concerned that there might be some brain damage, but so far it's looking positive. He's recognizing and visiting with the people who see him, though he is having some problems with walking.

Oh, and he's still upset that his doctor won't bring him a cigarette or a beer.:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast