Thread: Axe FX seems like a killer unit

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Axe FX seems like a killer unit

Have you guys heard of Axe-FX from Fractal Audio? www.fractalaudio.com

It seems like an incredible unit. People say it's the real thing - much more than a modeler. $1499 for the basic unit.

Check youtube for more videos. Man, this thing seems fantastic. :

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

The price kills it for me, but it does seem to be the real deal.....the modeling sounds much more genuine than the RP series which just seem way too digital for my tastes....I will say that the time based FX on the RPs are pretty good tho...especially the chorus and flange......noise gate sucks.

that reminds me....I really need to get the electric set up out again and play some.....ahhh the thrills that winter in the midwest brings.....especially after this sunday when the NASCAR championship is all wrapped up and I have 4 hours of free time on Sundays between now and late February :-)
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, I've heard a lot about it. They claim that they will be making a smaller pedal version, but with the economy I wonder whether they will.

It's all too expensive for me, but I'd love to have one.
    I pick a moon dog.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a good Guitar Player article about the Axe-FX. Wouldn't you know it, I feel some gas bubbling up here, any one else?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine will maybe order the Axe FX Ultra for his studio. We have investigated a bit on this product and it seems to be the best unit on the market if it comes down to modeling/emulating.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

The truly cool & exceedingly frightening thing about it is how parametrizable it is. I'd either never get around to playing or I'd park it somewhere & pretend it was a single channel amp with only a volume control.

Some mad genius however will invent a new amp sound by tweaking that will be killer.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a wicked unit! I have an Ultra, and ended up selling most of my amps because of it. The tweekablility of it is insane! If you can hear it in your head you can create it on this unit and it WILL sound authentic.
    Main Rig - Reverend Wolfman > Korg Pitchblack tuner >Vox Clyde Wah > MXR HW Script Phase 90 > MXR 108 Fuzz > Diaz Texas Ranger > Nova Drive > VL Analog Chorus > ModTone Analog Delay > Vox Night Train > 60's Vox 2x12 (Scumback M75 and Hellatone 30)

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

The price kills it for me too, but I am looking into one of those hats. I have a hard time justifying what I own now, based on my skill level. Nothing wrong with the desire, but definitely something more fitting for some of the talent around here - I mean that as a sincere compliment.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I am absolutely loving mine!

The FX is not some average fizz box loaded with lots of blinking lights and cool displays. This gem is true pro audio stuff, equally at home on a stage as it is in a studio.

It's a bit expensive, but worth every penny for those who seek excellent sound with extreme versatility. The FX Standard is currently going for around $1500, the Ultra around $2000. The Ultra has a lot more processing power and some effects the Standard doesn't, but a Standard should suit most typical players. I paid $2200 for my Germino Club 40 - a great sounding amp, but a one trick pony. With that considered, $1500 isn't too bad for a horse that can deal cards.

Best amp oriented purchase I've ever made, and it anchors my new rig. : Fractal Audio hit a stadium clearing home run with the FX.

For those considering it, feel free to post or PM me. I can give you the straight skinny on it and relate my experiences with it.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.