Thread: Why I like playing bass

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why I like playing bass

Not that I can play like this, but this is the kind of thing that I'd play if I could. I'm working on it . . .

By the by, that guy's site is pretty sweet for learning bass.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

thats a brothers Johnson song, and Louis"thunder thumbs" Johnson is one fierce bass player.
    He uses alot of thumb slapping and I believe he has some instructional videos out.

you have good taste in bass players my friend:
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

I may have to invest in his DVD. Don't get me wrong, I love the Steve Harrises, Billy Sheehans, and Geddy Lees of the world, but there's just something about old school funk that gets the blood pumping. I probably like it far too much since I'm so white I'm nearly translucent.

"Stomp" has always been my favorite funk song. For many years I couldn't remember the group or the song title. It just so happened that about 10 years ago it was used as the "going to commercial" music on Monday Night Football and I believe the announcer mentioned that it was the Brothers Johnson. One Google search later and I knew the rest.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

YouTube is great for inspiration once in a while isn't is! I think I'm going to have to pull out the 4 stringer and try and figure the thing out. I need strings badly... any thoughts on what I should be looking for?

Good post! -Thanks.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    YouTube is great for inspiration once in a while isn't is! I think I'm going to have to pull out the 4 stringer and try and figure the thing out. I need strings badly... any thoughts on what I should be looking for?
    Well, don't search TalkBass for the answer. For every string there is, somebody will love it and somebody will complain they die in one day. The only strings that are loved by just about everyone are T-I flats and DR Hi-beams.

Back in the day I used GHS Boomers all the time. I've got a set of Rotosounds on there now that I tried just for kicks. I've only had them on for about a week so the jury is still out. They're the first stainless steel strings I've tried.

I know a few players use flats for slap, but I'm of the opinion that it just loses something in the translation. If I were playing Jazz all the time I'd probably opt for flats on a fretless, but I'm not so I don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this guy is Mr. Antiguitarface.
    Bass is fun because you can kind of dictate totally how the song is going to go and it sure is fun to create a groove.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup especially with a Geddy Lee type Jazz bass and a good bass amph.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Yup especially with a Geddy Lee type Jazz bass and a good bass amph.