Thread: Reverend Charger 290

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reverend Charger 290

I played a bunch of Reverend guitars a little while back. I liked them all, bu the Reverend Charger 290 spoke to me. It sounded fabulous and played like a dream. :

It's a pretty cheap guitar but the quality of it, I must say, was a few steps above most other guitars in that $500 - $600 range that I have played. I could not see any flaws on it at all.

Now the question. Should I get this one and delay my other gear purchases (not that I really need anything...but... you know), or should I ignore it and keep saving for that more expensive higher end guitar?

A big part of me really wants to drive to the store and just pick up that Charger 290. It wants to be my close friend.

Plus, I've never had a P-90 guitar, and this one sounds very good I must say.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

no one can decide that but you robert....is it speaking to you enough to delay your other purchases....if so get it....if not....hold off!

i have never played a reverend but the do look like a good bang for you buck guitar!
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I found this , looks good and sounds good ..The countour knob does the job ..There s a little clip on the bottom page ..

http://http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/bolt_on_series/charger_290.html
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, I guess money is burning a hole in my pocket, and this guitar is very suuuuhhweeeet!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I dunno, I guess money is burning a hole in my pocket, and this guitar is very suuuuhhweeeet!
    well you know how i love p90's and i don't think you have a p90 guitar do you....
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly, Warren. I don't have a P-90 guitar and shouldn't I have one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Exactly, Warren. I don't have a P-90 guitar and shouldn't I have one?
    well....yes.... :

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a sweet and economical guitar. Glad there's no dealer in my neck of the woods -- nearest are in Toronto and one in Kitchener. Otherwise I'd probably have to road test today.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, you really want the flying V.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for theV

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, the V isn't my thing. It's not ergonomically correct, unless your body shape is an arrow. It also didn't sound that cool I thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Charger 290 is the best looking of the bunch... would like Sunburst and a Maple neck..

Ya know..you could get this... and maybe the Crate V33H at $179 now..
    Both be under what one of the others will cost..:

think of it as a savings club... and expect to sell them when you want the bigger ones..

Ofcourse..if ya got the change to get the big boys....go for it!

Like it been said..it's gona be up to Robert....

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a Reverend Charger 290 (sunburst, maple/maple neck, black PU covers) for 325 Canadian about 3 months ago. What a FANTASTIC guitar!! I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone! I'm seriously thinking of selling my DeArmond Starfire Special and putting a Bigsby or a Les Trem on the Charger and pocketing the difference! The quality of the Charger is top notch and it makes a great backup guitar to my vintage tele, or would even be a very fine first guitar!! GET IT! YOU'LL LOVE IT!! And you can smile every time you play it and you look at that big number in your bank book too!!