Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Peavey Classic / Delta Blues Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Peavey Classic / Delta Blues Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nelskie! Yeah someone at home sorta bumped my amp with their leg and some of the EL84s were left angled which scared the hell out of me I thought they were bent! They weren't. I need the guard.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Peavey Mod Squad

Seems like the Peavey Classic thread was lacking some techical information. I'd come across these two links some time ago, and they cover both basic and advanced modifications the amp. Myself, I haven't felt a need to go any further with the amp's tone, other than switching out the tubes, and dropping in a new Celestion Vintage 30. However, there may be other Fretters out there looking to modify theirs, who find some of this stuff interesting.

http://www.blueshawk.info/peavey_classic_30.htm (links at bottom of page)
    http://www.blueguitar.org/ (* see comments below)

*NOTE - To get to the Peavey amp mods, click FTP Site Map on the upper left side of the page. Then, go to blue guitar / amps / Peavey, and it'll list all of the articles in .PDF and .ZIP format)

One of the mods that there is a "Tweed Bassman" mod, which is supposed to give the C30 a looser, raunchier feel (*the author's words, not mine.) Definitely sounds interesting.

The real question is this: now that these mods have been posted, how long will it be before DVM opens up his Delta? Inquiring minds want to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered some new tubes from Eurotubes, went with the Rock / High Gain Option,, for now
    Tube Tamer and Tube Guard on there way too
    Zõ§õ
    The power that music has to connect people to each other has always been one of the guitarists driving forces. - John Frusciante

Axes'
    R-Axe Guitars "Black Betty" - 1st Ultimate DIY
    Ibanez X-Series-DT350 (Star Shape)
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black
    Yamaha RBX200F Fretless w/DiMarzio DP127 Pup

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    DigiTech CF7 Chorus Factory
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Classic 30 is being packed and shipped as of tomorrow. Should be here end of the week. I attached a couple pics in the other C-30 thread. Excitement is an understatement.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; January 1st, 2007 at 05:38 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    My Classic 30 is being packed and shipped as of tomorrow. Should be here end of the week. I attached a couple pics in the other C-30 thread. Excitement is an understatement.
    *I'm* excited & I'm not getting a new amp.

Enjoy, Sunvalley!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

My Classic 30 is being packed and shipped as of tomorrow.
    'Bout freakin' time you finally got an amp!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    'Bout freakin' time you finally got an amp!!
    Yep, I'm paying for it from what I earn off o' the Cubs building your pedal!!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Anyone seen or used one of these for their Peavey? Looks kind of cool. I stumbled on to it from a post by Spud re: this guy's strats he builds. I had also read someone's review of another attenuator recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLUMEBOX-FOR-PE...QQcmdZViewItem
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone seen or used one of these for their Peavey? Looks kind of cool. I stumbled on to it from a post by Spud re: this guy's strats he builds. I had also read someone's review of another attenuator recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLUMEBOX-FOR-PE...QQcmdZViewItem

Steve, the one I have is actually like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Omnisonic-Tube-A...QQcmdZViewItem

See how much cooler it is, with the numbers going to 11 and the semi-chicken head knob?
    And I bought it and used it on my Traynor YCV Anniversary model for a long time, before I got the Hotplate.
    Not what most think of as an attenuator, but it does allow for some nice preamp tube distortion at lower volumes, so in that sense, yes, it "attenuates", it won't give you that nice POWER amp distortion, tho.
    What it will allow you to do is crank yer amp, get those preamp tubes cookin', and lower the volume w/ the little "volume box" knob. For the money it's not a bad deal, and will give you a little more flexibility over the gain side of the amp alone.
    And if you are trying (and I'm just guessing here) to get some kind of "Crazy Horse" long singing overdriven sound, it will only get you in the ballpark, but that was good enough (for me) when I bought mine.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Carl's Volume Box. The novelty wore off after two days. Get an attenuator. This doesn't even come close.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

....................Thanks guys!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    I have the Carl's Volume Box. The novelty wore off after two days. Get an attenuator. This doesn't even come close.

Sting's right about it not coming close, Steve. There is no comparing a Hotplate, w/ power tube distortion, to these little boxes.
    I guess my point is if you want a little more flexible preamp disortion (and as I said, I was using it through a Traynor 40watter, different animal, for sure), it costs, what, $20?
    If you want great sounding power amp distortion, Stingx is on the money, buy a "real" attenuator. But be prepared to pony up the $$$ for the sound, which is night and day different (and better).
    Somewhere in the middle, $-wise, are some great OD units.
    Just ask DVM, he might even build you one!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

If you want something that falls between this little trinket and a major league attenuator like a THD Hot Plate ($200+), you might want to give one of THESE a try. For use with a low wattage amp (< 30W), I found it to work quite well and it doesn't kill tone like some are reported to do. Very simple resistive load attenuator that lets you crank up the power tubes and get to saturation without rupturing an eardrum, and quite reasonably priced. A used Weber Mini-Mass is another good alternative. That's what I was looking for on eBay when I found the TubeJuice.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks DVM. . . . . . .
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123