Some of you know that I dread going to work for the company that I currently work for. It's a 88 to 94 mile round trip depending on the route, negative management style and recent cutbacks and buy-out offers. Bottom-line, it sucked.

A coworker left our company a week ago and I told him to keep me in mind. The next day he calls me and tells me to send him my resume. On Monday I get a call from a recruiter and we discussed a possible opportunity. I agreed to have them send in my information and she did. Just a couple hours later she calls and says the company is very excited about the opportunity to meet with me.

It ends up that the company is involved in landing gear, aerospace pumps, and aerospace valves. My background - 27 years of landing gear, aerospace pumps, and aerospace valves. I met with them yesterday and I felt the interview went well, but you never know. The recruiter was concerned because I had not interviewed in a while and she attempted to coach me. I told her I would have nothing to do with that, I would go in there and tell them exactly what I do and what I can do for them - no embellishment. I took over the interview and guided it in the direction I wanted it to go.

My goal was to get an offer on the first visit, but I knew the company never hires in that manner. Well, I didn't get the offer on the first interview, but I received a call today asking how soon I could come back in. Next week is very busy for me, so I had to schedule it for Friday. I passed that on to the recruiter and she called back to tell me to make it 11:30 and that two directors and the COO want to take me to lunch.

Now, if I can hit a grand slam on Friday, it should be a new job for me or disappointment city. Oh, and it's 10 miles from the house. I was tempted to just sit in their lobby until they made me an offer.