Thread: Possible to level just the END of two or three frets?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible to level just the END of two or three frets?

I have an SX SST7 that I like quite a bit, except for a couple of high frets only along the high E string in three places. I get a buzz/clank when I play at the 3rd and 7th frets, and to a lesser extent the 5th fret. I take this to mean the 4th, 6th, and 8th fret ends are a bit high. Though they appear to be all the way in, I've tried tapping down on them with a plastic hammer to no effect. I've also tinkered with the action quite a bit and can't make it go away. I think this is going to require some sanding. I ordered one of THESE BLOCKS, particularly the 14" radius as it seemed to be closest to the SX 13.7 radius. They describe it as for spot leveling, but the more I look into this, the more I get cold feet about the operation. I don't think I want to get involved with leveling the whole thing and crowning the frets as I've never done that before, and I have a hard time with paying to have it done professionally on a $100 guitar.

My problem is really isolated to the high E string in a few spots, and I think I may be opening a can of worms by sanding across the entire width of several frets rather than just the individual problem spots. Any thoughts on how to handle this?

P.S. I have a new nut on the way as well.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

The first 3 or frets on one of my guitars were way worn down on the high e string.

I bought it used & it finally drove me nuts. I took it to a shop & had the guy do a level, polish, & set up. It cost $70 & I am now very, very happy.

Take yours to a reputable shop & see what they say.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reluctant to suggest this, because it's kind of a down and dirty fix. Before you do anything, take a straight edge (preferably ruler) and lay it on the fret. If it rocks back and forth, the fret is high. Also check to make sure the truss rod doesn't need to be adjusted. The truss rod shouldn't be used to fix the action, but it can cause buzzes if it's not properly set.

Finally, if everything else checks out, use an emery board to lower the fret. Check it frequently to make sure you don't sand off too much of the fret.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Good suggestions from Shiner.

One small trick. If you go the emery board route get yourself a Sharpie and colour the frets first. This will enable you to easily see how much and where you are removing material.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Cool idea Keel! I know I've seen Dreadman use that trick when he was doing the entire fretboard, but it never occurred to me that it would work on one raised spot. Then again, I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer.:
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasongins
    only along the high E string in three places. I get a buzz/clank when I play at the 3rd and 7th frets, and to a lesser extent the 5th fret.
    I get the impression the nut is cut too deep on this string.

If its the actual frets you may wanna do a level and crown as Id think itd be the only way to get them all uniform and the same height.

I tried to isolate a high fret for a buddy(on a junker), I thought I found it and tried to push it in gently...that wasnt the fret, the other was actually low, so now hes got 2 low frets.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed a graphite nut tonight. The original was cracked all the way through to the slot on the high E string. Unfortunately, the clanking is still there on those few frets.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi I also have an SX SST 57. It had a few fret problems similar to yours. The first thing I did was to identify the high frets and mark them with a Sharpie. Because the problem was isolated to the high "E" string it wasn't necessary to level and crown the whole fretboard. I have a set of small files that worked perfect for this. I carefully filed off the Sharpie mark testing frequently until the buzz was gone. This resulted in a couple of flat spots on a couple of frets. I then re-crowned these frets and it plays and sounds great.