Thread: Manufacture of a signature Statocaster

Post Thanks / Like

Default Manufacture of a signature Statocaster

We see on these clips,the manufacture of Robin Trower's Signature Start., also an interview with the legendary guitarist.

This is a little long but interesting and instructive..

Part 1

Part 2

Blazes
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Robin is all about his tuning and thick strings. A lot of his tone comes from his signature Marshalls and his pedals. (Fulltone). The thing with him is when he plays a song no matter how many times you hear it, it is EXACTLY the same. I am a huge fan and his Bridge of Sighs would be my number 1 pick for best rock album of all time.
    I really like his blues stuff as well.
    I was blown away when I heard that he used two blues juniors on his last album. I had heard that but to hear him actually say it was amazing.
    I went out and customized my pedal rig to emulate his and as he said it is a really vintage sound.
    Last edited by ZMAN; November 18th, 2008 at 12:22 PM.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like some nice features for a Strat. Was the white one the one that there was only going to be 100 of and the midnight wine one be released more like a Clapton Strat? It was kind of hard to tell from the videos.

I thought it was interesting that Trower seemed just as geeked as when one of us would get a really cool guitar.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

My God! How good can it get? I'd give no telling what to be 1/4 as good as he is! Trower is without a doubt one of the all-time greats! : :

I'm inclined to agree with ZMan. If Bridge of Sighs is not the greatest rock album of all times, it'd have to be in the top 5. :

I'd also love to have either one of those Strat's too! That wine colored is especially awesome!

Southern Rock is not the only kind of music I love!!! :

Post Thanks / Like

I guess this means we're all getting old too huh? Robin is one bad *** momma. And you think they would have run out of trees with all the guitars Spud has. Did I hear Robin say 2 Blues Jrs.?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

What a treat Blazes, thank you for sharing it.

M

Post Thanks / Like

Cool vid.Trower also tunes down a whole step and has the action pretty high.At least that's what he said on a tape that I have of him from the 90's.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is fun to watch! I like that midnight wine colored guitar. I really like when he was noodling on it clean in the shop later in the second vid, and when he plays a little of bridge of sighs and the predecessor song during the end of the interview. :
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; November 18th, 2008 at 06:08 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Bridge of sighs was one of my #1 dope smokin lp's back in the day ,and I went thru atleast 2 copies. nuff said
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you buys caught the part where Todd mentions on the first white guitar that there is only 100 and they will all have a mini deja vibe by fulltone in the case. The Stereo version is 350 bucks, and the regular one is 275. You must have one to sound like Trower. I wonder what the White ones retailed for? I was totally blown away by his latest blues Album "Another days blues" It is and updated version of one of his older CDs.
    Great playing. His original singer James Dewar passed away, and his new singer Davie Pattison sounds exactly like Dewar. His living out of time DVD is killer. It has everone from the original band except Dewar and Pattison picks up his part perfectly.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Signature Marshalls? I read an interview with him where he said he uses regular JCM 800 Marshalls. I have played a signature Trower Strat though, and it was really nice. He's a great guitarist for sure.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

What I mean Robert was his rig was always Marshall amps. He usually uses two amps with two full stacks.
    He does have a signature amp though.
    http://www.dc-developments.com/cornell_custom_RT100.htm
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

From this article in Guitar Player:

Code:
    I’ve got two different setups. In England I use JCM 900s, and in
    America I use some JCM 800s that I’ve kept over there for a long time.
    I usually use two heads and two 4x12 cabinets, and I crank one of them 
    and run the other more quietly. Doing that gives me an extra little bit of
    spread while allowing me to keep my volume down.
    I saw him live a couple times back in the 80s. The first show I got into for free, a friend was writing an article on him for the school paper and had an extra ticket. I seem to remember he had four Marshall 100W stacks, probably JCM800s, which was overkill for the small venue he was playing. It was louder than hell. : Great show, though. :

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet!!! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to go home and dig out that cd, haven't heard it in a while.

I just played the intro to that song unplugged with the tab. (kids are sleeping) I can't wait to crank it up thru my v18 tomorrow while I'm home alone tomorrow.
    Last edited by Bilsdragon; November 20th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always seem him playing with JCM 800 Marshalls. He used 2 Blues Jrs. in the "Living Out of Time" album, for solos and some "details" here and there. I think I read in an interview that he used "12s" string gauge. In the DVD, he's using 2 JMC 800 half-stacks as far as I can remember, and the load of Fulltone pedals.

Actually, in the most recent "Robin Trower Band" incarnations only Trower would be a former member. Dave Bronze joined in the late 70s I believe. Before that the band was Trower + James Dewar (vocals and bass) + Reg Isidore (drums), who left after the first album and was replaced by Bill Lordan (who recorded BoS among others). Pattison joined the band in the early 80`s and at least other 2 vocalists/bassists were in the band before Pattison`s return.