Thread: Documentary: "It Might Get Loud"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Documentary: "It Might Get Loud"

I assume the Canadians among us have heard of the new guitar documentary that premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival. "It Might Get Loud" delves into the music, influences and equipment of Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White, with live interviews and jams. A couple of links:

http://www.tiff08.ca/filmsandschedul...itmightgetloud
    http://itmightgetloud.com/

The film talks with seminal rock players from three eras: Page from 60s & 70s, The Edge from the 80s & 90s, and Jack White from The New Millennium. All good picks who have the benefit of still being alive.

Challenge: Who would you pick, if being alive wasn't a criterion and you could choose three players from whatever stylistic bent you wanted?

I might go with Chet Atkins, Eddie Van Halen and Curt Cobain, big stars who reinvented the instrument in their own ways and were hugely influential. Although as someone who admittedly barely knew how to play, Cobain would be way out of his league...and I despised the influence he had on the state of guitar playing in the 90s.

Old Fart Alert: I have no idea who I'd pick from the modern era - Dave Matthews, maybe, an iconoclast for sure, but I'm not sure he's been truly influential. For that matter, is Jack White all that influential?

Please talk amongst yourselves.
    Last edited by Fab4; November 18th, 2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Q: How many guitars is enough?
    A: Just one more...

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That is awesome! I want to see that.

As for me, I'd pick Jimmy Page hands down.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Les Paul and Django Reinhardt.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Good question... I've decided to go for three from the same three time periods to keep things interesting.

60's & 70's - Sonny Sharrock

80's & 90's - Vernon Reid

New Millennium - Jonny Greenwood
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am looking forward to this too, but had trouble finding my own thread on it. I posted a while back on it here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...might+get+loud

as well.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. We'll have to watch for showtimes and locations around North America. There doesn't seem to be anything on the official website, but maybe they'll post a schedule when it has its theatrical release.
    Q: How many guitars is enough?
    A: Just one more...

Post Thanks / Like

Finally saw the trailer:

Post Thanks / Like

What a cool Idea, looks really sweet

If I were to choose
    60's and 70's- Clapton or Jimi Hendrix
    80's and 90's- Vernon Reid
    New Milennium- Dan Auerbach

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting idea.

I'd pick:

60s & 70s: Tony Iommi/Black Sabbath

80s: EVH

90s: Buckethead

New Millenium: Mikael Ã…kerfeldt/Opeth

It is hard to break it down into concise decades. I could have put EVH as 70s/80s as he got his start at the end of the 70s.

Iommi is a no-brainer as he continues to inspire metal bands even today. EVH ruled the 80s, but I felt he kind of lost his way during the 90s. I chose Buckethead as he kept shred/vituoso guitar playing alive during the Dark Ages of the 90s which in a way were anti-guitar and anti-shred. Ã…kerfeldt/Opeth continues to be one of the most influential metal bands today.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Easy

60s/70s: Richard Thompson

80s: Richard Thompson

90s: Richard Thompson

Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, some alternatives:

60s/70s: Buddy Guy, Hendrix, Clapton (Cream era), Page, Pete Townshend, David Gilmour, Duane Allman, Santana, EVH, Mark Knopfler (Dire St era)

80s: SRV, Mark Knopfler, Neil Schon, Steve Morse...?

90s: Kenny Wayne Shepard, Johnny Lang, Vernon Reid, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani...?

00s: Jack White, Jeff Beck's rebirth (he's really come into his own...much better than his 60s and 70s stuff in style and execution), Mark Knopfler

This is obviously a list. I couldn't pick just one from any decade(s). That's like asking which of my children is my favorite. And I'm sure I've forgotten a few...
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

70s: Ron Asheton
    80s: Adrian Belew
    90s: Tom Morello
    00s: Brent Hinds

:
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

This may not strictly apply, but here's a few (maybe not so) "behind the scenes" and studio guitarists that have had quite an impact over the years. Not meant to be comprehensive, just some high points:

Ronnie Wood (from The Faces days, arguably the best straight ahead rock n' roll band ever! Wanna learn some basic rock licks? Listen to Wood here! Their box set, entitled "Five Guys Walk Into a Bar", is a must, and was lovingly assembled by their well-known [worked w many a band since] keyboard player, Ian McLagan. Released in 2004. Was also Rod Stewart's lead gitter on his early, great solo stuff. Broke everyone's heart when Ronnie split w Rod to join The Stones...)

Mick Ronson (late, great rock n' roll gitter from the glam era - David Bowie's lead, pal and right hand man, most notably on Ziggy Stardust.)

Denny Diaz (studio rat and part-time Steely Dan' er. Played the fantastic, unbelievable lead on their Bodhisatva. If you haven't heard this tune, it's a must hear!)

Waddy Wachtell (studio rat and mainstay for many artists, including Linda Ronstadt)

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (studio rat, member of Steely Dan and The Doobies)

Albert Lee (studio rat, solo artist and has played w just abt everyone, it seems, at one time or another. One of the best and tastefully fastest gitters - kinda flat-pickin' style on electric git)

Alvin Lee (of Ten Years After. Before they hit big w schmaltzy stuff, they were a GREAT rock n' roll, jump blues band. Witness the INCREDIBLE live album, recorded in a small UK club, entitled "Undead", on which 'Goin' Home' first appears. It'll blow you away! Especially Lee's git playing! Whether comping and fills or full-on smokin' leads, this is a classic in every sense.)

Peter Stroud (studio rat and in Sheryl Crow's band, and one of the two guys behind the relatively new boutique-ish "65 Amps" line. Not nearly the pedigree of the above listed, but one to watch)

Hopefully this has given some of you younger dudes (and dudettes) something new to chew on. At the very least, they're names you should know and be familiar with. Superb guitar talent(s)!!!!

G
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.