Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
DVM's Rabid Rodent BYOC Mouse v.2 Proco Rat Clone review - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DVM's Rabid Rodent BYOC Mouse v.2 Proco Rat Clone review

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks great! I like the new rodent graphic very much! It allows the imagination to fill in the details. Could be Bugs Bunny playing, could be Mighty Mouse, could be Itchy! :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I like the new rodent graphic very much! It allows the imagination to fill in the details. Could be Bugs Bunny playing, could be Mighty Mouse, could be Itchy!
    Just to be accurate, rabbits are not rodents, they're part of another mammalian order called lagomorphs. See how educational this place is!?!

Could be Mighty Mouse (which is the original BYOC name for the kit, BTW!), or Itchy, or maybe even The Brain! Perhaps it will take over the pedal world! Mwa-ha-ha-ha!!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Pedal clearcoated and reassembled. Hope to record a demo clip tonight to show off some of the various distortion/OD settings. In the meantime, here are a couple more photos:

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

man you do a nice job on those pedals vood! :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looking great! Can't wait to hear it!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here are links to a couple of quickly recorded clips. Both are recorded using my LP Std. on the bridge pickup into the Tweed 4x10 model of my Vox AD30VT. Only effect besides the Rabid Rodent is a bit of reverb.

The first clip starts out clean and then cycles through all six clipping settings of the Rodent. To reiterate what those are:

1. Symmetric silicon diode distortion
    2. Symmetric red LED distortion
    3. Symmetric JFET (J201 transistor) distortion
    4. Asymmetric silicon diode overdrive (1x3 1N914 diode array)
    5. Symmetric red LED overdrive
    6. Symmetric MOSFET (BS170 transistor) overdrive

The recorded sequence that is repeated all 7 times starts with a Joe Bonamassa riff I've been learning, followed by some single note noodling. The pedal settings in "o'clock" knob positions are: distortion = 1, filter = 3, and volume adjusted to keep the recorded volume fairly constant. (Note: The two LED settings are very noticeably louder than the other four, and were turned down to keep the volume comparable to the others.)

The second clip is recorded with the same setup, but the distortion turned down a bit to 12 noon. This one demonstrates the impact of the Ruetz modification. A familiar Neil Young riff is played first with the toggle in the Normal position and then repeated in the Ruetz mode. This pairing is repeated two times--first on position 1 (stock Rat distortion mode) and then on position 5 (red LED overdrive). You can hear how the mid-range is flattened out, making the bottom end more prominent and giving very noticeably less gain/sustain and a smoother, warmer tone.

Here are the links:

6-way clipping demo

Ruetz mod demo

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Way cool DVM! I am blown away and am listening as I type to get a feel for it. I heard a LOT of good sounds I really liked. I will take some time to decide on my favorites. Off the top, positions 1 and 2 grabbed me (2 is really grabbing me at the moment as I type), in normal position.

The overdrive positions are tremendously different sounding than the Bad Monkey, and I am sure will find a place in the tone quiver. The Ruetz mod sounds like a lot of fun to play around with as well, and will be really useful I think when the mix requires more bottom end and warmth. I am stoked to try it with my own gear and experiment. Thanks so much!:
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

P.S. I have been listening some more and can't wait to get it. These are the distortion sounds I wanted to add to my chain. It might end up being named "Itchy".

(I think I can give my pedal a nickname without getting anyone sued).
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

as always DVM comes through once again like he did with that ZYS.best touch IMO is Effects by... nice touch and decal Bob.great pics and progress along the way too.have to believe Steve is gonna be happy
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quite a bit of flexibility in that pedal. Good choice for a Bonamassa riff too
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I think I can give my pedal a nickname without getting anyone sued
    maybe laughed at....but not sued! :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice DVM and good playing too! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am sitting here listening again, and just licking my chops. I definitely am drawn to positions 1 (stock rat mode) and 2 (LED Distortion). Of the overdrive settings I am drawn first to the LED overdrive.

In the Ruetz mod, I like both Ruetz settings, and am struck by the organic, garage sound of the LED Overdrive with the Ruetz mode on. It sounds raw and fun. Can't wait!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's here!!

Arrived today, boxed very, very well, in first rate condition. Thanks Bob! Yardwork to do now, and play later. Will report back someday after getting to know it. :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, you have more will power than I do. On New Pedal Day ( or new guitar, amph, whatever guitar related day ), everything is secondary with the exception of immediate family needs.

Congrats, and post a clip!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Boy, you have more will power than I do. On New Pedal Day ( or new guitar, amph, whatever guitar related day ), everything is secondary with the exception of immediate family needs.

Congrats, and post a clip!
    EDIT: Thanks Kat for the congrats. I am very happy with the new pedal. Well, my poor wife has tweaked her lower back/leg and is in the middle of a way overdue yard project that she now cannot do, so it is just about an immediate family need. But I did have some time to do some initial playing around, and will post a clip after getting a bit comfortable with the various settings. So far I am in absolute love with the red LED Distortion setting, with the stock Rat mode not far behind. That is as far as I have gotten into it so far. My DS-1 may still have a place for a different sound, but this is so much more full sounding. Don't worry, clips will come.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I heard a bit of this pedal over the phone and I was very impressed. Great job Voodoo.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys do phone demos? Cool how do I subscribe to this???
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I sure didn't get a memo that there was a conference call!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast