Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
DVM's Rabid Rodent BYOC Mouse v.2 Proco Rat Clone review - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DVM's Rabid Rodent BYOC Mouse v.2 Proco Rat Clone review

Post Thanks / Like

Sheesh!! Ya'd think that they'd let the pedal builder know that there was going to be a live demo teleconference!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

2. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Sheesh!! Ya'd think that they'd let the pedal builder know that there was going to be a live demo teleconference!!
    You guys haven't signed up yet.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Pic

No clips yet, too much yardwork this weekend to spend playing time setting up the recording stuff, but here is a pic.

That is a fun looking distortion chain, but the DS-1 may take a break for a while, after I am done comparing it with my new Rabid Rodent. This thing rocks! You will NOT be disappointed if you order one. :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just spent a few minutes learning about the red LED overdrive mode. It gives me a sweet, slightly distorted overdrive that gives a good Mayer sound. (at least for me, doesn't improve the playing, but makes the tone that much better) Loving it!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    It's here!!

Arrived today, boxed very, very well, in first rate condition. Thanks Bob! Yardwork to do now, and play later. Will report back someday after getting to know it. :
    What no video of you taking it out of the box?!?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Review

Ok here is my attempt at a review. First, caveats. Someone who is a better player than I currently am could review this pedal better. I still do not know how to use distortion that effectively rhythm playing. I prefer to use it when lead playing, when I want an edge on the tone to cut through. I do not control my strings well enough with palm and other muting techniques to use this pedal to its potential yet in rhythm playing. (I am writing all this because I am going to post some clips later in this thread. ) Ok, enough of that.

That said, this pedal DVM made me seems very diverse, and could be used in about a hundred ways or more. First, the clips. I recorded both my guitars, the Vik and the Strat, playing open E chords, followed by a little lick. I did this first with my Boss DS-1 for comparison, then on each "mutation" setting available. 3 distortion, 3 overdrive, as described by DVM above. I set the DS-1 as I typically do, with tone at 10, level straight up, and distortion at 2. I set the Rodent with Volume straight up, Filter at neutral, (which happens to be at 3 the way the pot is laid out), and Distortion at about 1:30 or 2. I turned down the recording level on both Red LED mutations because both those settings are louder and were maxing out the recording levels too much. I did not record the Reutz mod settings, as I have not used those much yet. DVM did record those settings above.

http://www.box.net/shared/5cyypgufu1 - Strat clips

http://www.box.net/shared/yhznmtllfk - Vik clips

Ok, review.

1. Fit, finish, etc. Excellent. Came well boxed, beautiful paint, knobs all work well, etc. I know nothing of pedal building and soldering etc., but the pics DVM posted above tell the story. Excellent all the way through, as you would expect from DVM.

2. How does it work? Well, let your ears be the guide but I think exceptionally well, and I have only scratched the surface. I would love to hear Spud or someone really rip it up with one.

I recorded the DS-1 to show you why I was interested in a new distortion pedal. When you listen, you might think "Yeah, that sounds pretty good" but I think it lacks depth and texture. It is like a hoppy ale that is so hoppy, you cannot get any depth or texture out of the flavors. All heat and no warmth, if that makes sense. Too thin and hissy, and not enough mid range might be another way of saying it.

Ok, now listen to the Rodent clips. The first three are the distortion settings in order. I like all three, but have been in love with the second, red LED one. It is so fat and warm. As I recorded this, I realized I had been overlooking the third setting as well and wish to explore that one. It seems to have some great sounds, and I really liked all the texture in the E chord with that setting.

The overdrive settings are fun as well. Set up just like this, they act more like distortion settings to my ear, but if you roll back the distortion to say 9 or 10, you get a sweet overdrive that is much more transparent and less warm and mid-rangey as compared to my bad monkey. A little more heat and a little less mid range I would say. A useful new sound for my arsenal.

I plan on using the distortion settings when rocking out or punking out, and also as a good lead boost with some great hair to cut through a loud mix, or when I just need to add some oomph. (EDIT)Anything from Social Distortion and Weezer or Offspring to Santana and Allman Brothers and Petty, and everything in between. I think you could dial in a reasonable Abbey Road - I Want You sound too by cleaning it up a touch. (end EDIT)

The overdrives I think I will use with the distortion dialed back as I said for a different overdrive sound.

In anycase, I think all of the six settings give me more interesting sounds than my un-modded DS-1. I may mod my DS-1 to give it more oomph. There are lots of mods out there, but it would not have the versatility of this pedal, and I may leave the DS-1 stock and use it with my chorus for some Nirvana sounds. It does that well. For everything else, I think the Rodent has it covered. Please feel free to comment, and DVM, please add anything you think I left out. I really like this pedal. Two thumbs up, : : , I would highly recommend it.

Blazes, hope that answers your questions, and if I can answer any others, please ask and I will do my best to answer them.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; November 17th, 2008 at 12:04 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

excellent review steve....the clips really help....makes me want to order a few more dvm pedals and i haven't even got my first one yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Warren. One thing I wanted to add. Listen to the sustain. The DS-1 has sustain too, but there is just more in the sustained note from the Rodent. It almost eggs you on to hold the note just a bit longer rather than end it. Chords too. Anyway that is the way it makes me feel.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Warren. One thing I wanted to add. Listen to the sustain. The DS-1 has sustain too, but there is just more in the sustained note from the Rodent. It almost eggs you on to hold the note just a bit longer rather than end it. Chords too. Anyway that is the way it makes me feel.
    i thought dvm's sounded better than the ds-1 overall too....i liked some of the settings better than others but all definitely sounded usable!
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    i thought dvm's sounded better than the ds-1 overall too....i liked some of the settings better than others but all definitely sounded usable!

Curious as to which ones you liked over others. Just to see what someone else hears. Let me know if you don't mind.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Curious as to which ones you liked over others. Just to see what someone else hears. Let me know if you don't mind.
    ok....i'll have to go back and relisten and take notes! i liked the vik better than the strat....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ahem, you mean strat sir! :

I personally like both, for different reasons, but there certainly is a lot to explore with the combination of the Vik and this pedal for sure.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Ahem, you mean strat sir! :

I personally like both, for different reasons, but there certainly is a lot to explore with the combination of the Vik and this pedal for sure.
    oops....i edited it.... :

Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir ,

Nice review Sun.. ,thanks to you for these demos recording ,appreciate that.I liked the comparison with the Ds 1 and the fact that you tried every byoc setting .

Tell me , would you say that with this pedal settings & adjustments you can create your own personnal tone.

I ll have some hearings of these demos and a discussion with the accountant of my low value canadian money (ha,ha ) and take my decision.

Awesome job , thanks again..

Blazes:
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, I definitely think that one can many personal tones. I can think of one or two on the distortion side, and have already found one on the overdrive side I like a great deal that is new and different from the tones I used previously.

For consistency, I had the pedal set the same on every test clip, but each one could be varied a great deal. So far, the tone (filter) knob has been set to near neutral, but I could see getting a low, power chordy tone that just snarls for grungey/punky stuff, and one with more highs and bite for a different sound. Like I said, very versatile, and someone who really knew what they were doing could get much more out of it.

I aim to as I learn more. :
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; December 12th, 2008 at 10:36 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you ve tried the pedal on the clean channel of your peavy ,isn t .

Sometimes i play distortion or overdrive over the distortion channel of my amp , makes it compress and get some super sound variation rollin down the volume or the tone of the guitar ,same thing changing setting on the pedal obviously.
    Nothing new there , but interesting .

Take care

Blazes:
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will try that! I never think of using pedals on my dirt channel. Oh, and I edited my original review with a couple more thoughts on sounds available.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good, Sun!:
    Nice that you gave the review and clips, and the clips having each setting.
    Has a nice, full, round sound to my ears.

(I just gave another listen..... I think I like the Viking clips best also.)
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job, Steve! Enjoyed the clips, esp. with the Viking. The Rodent sounds good with single coils, but I think it really shines with humbucker guitars, where that singing sustain really stands out. Just wish you'd played a bit longer on each setting--your playing is better than than you think!

Agree 100% with your assessment of the DS-1. Certainly has some useful tones, but I find it's stock sound rather thin and strident. You can see why there are such a variety of popular DS-1 mods out there!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast