Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Think Im Improving..

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I Think Im Improving..

Well, this is more of a thank you then anything... I only been on the Fret.net for around 9 months and I was thinking if it has helped... well heck yeah it has... I found my way here through Robert Renman's site while I was thinking of buying a Vox amp..which in turn I did not.. but thats a good thing in a way.. What I found out through this site is what I like in sound and equipment even if not the main equipment most use here.. I also purchased a Squier51 which I still love to death... again from this site and more importantly Robert Renman... Through the other users.. many many of you guys... I found different sites which also helped me figure how to start playing.. I started here knowing hardly how to strum and maybe a blues scales and with more and more reading..reading and more reading it's led me to enjoy playing and learning how to.. I still can't keep a beat worth a S*** but I can tell my own self it's improving.. I've now found myself trying Nylon guitars and still hang on Electric site..lol.. I guess it's all the same.. and truelly an adventure...

This little clip (Ibanez Nylon to cyber-champ into audigy card to audacity to mp3) which corrections have not been made because I guess this is how I play most of them with the errors still.. is what I am up to now...ba'r with me..still a beginner...G7 C7 D7 then in the middle tried a barred G7, C9, D9 then back to the sevens and a little riff thrown in under/over the G7 C7 I enjoy playing different 12 bar blues or jazzy kinda sometimes.. This is what I sit for hours trying to play clean .. trying 7ths and such makes these new chords to me a challenge I know I need to take.. and its getting better.

Im noticing more and more Willie Nelson's Jazz/Blues sound in his country songs and classics which I am no place near on getting down his way yet.. But nelson's playing and voicings are just amazing to me..

Anyways... different keys and trying different voicings.. again through listening/reading the posts ya'll put out about ways to play... and trying to play chords and throwing in a little riff in places.. you pros think it's easy..lol..think back..it sure aint for me... but thats the help I been blessed with finding on this site these last few months.. different styles and views.. thanks fellas...
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; November 12th, 2006 at 12:07 PM.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Justa - Your baiting us. I can not open the MP3 to listen to your masterpiece. I will try later, if I can wait that longer.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL.. no tim.. forgot mp3's have problems here sometimes...

no masterpiece.. honest.. lol.. was just something to do.. some day we make a masterpiece though huh.. if we stick around here and listen to these guys and pick things up here and there...

Here is a link to the file http://www.savefile.com/files/4057436

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good strumming Justa, I notice improvement too! You are getting more confident in your playing.

R
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Justa! It takes some cajones to put yourself out there for all the world (or at least this corner of it) to see/hear/critique. But from what I've seen this is a really supportive group. I might get brave enough to throw down a jingle or two yet! I'm pretty intrigued about all the home recording set ups here, something I haven't tried to do since my teen years with an old cassette deck. Seems so sophisticated now! I have the technology, just haven't taken 'er for a test drive yet.

Hey, I'm a HUGE Willie fan. Me and a buddy of mine have been known to hang at his cabin by the lake and pick and grin along with Willie until the sun comes up. The depth of material to tap into is phenomenal! And if you can get his style and phrasing down, then I'm coming to take lessons from you! I haven't heard anyone emulate it yet. Have you heard Teatro? What do you think? I think it's right up your alley.

Anyway, just wanted to say
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I liked that Justa, the sound was a bit towards the "chess records" sound
    And yes, I think that you really have improved and gained confidence!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm ! "PAGE CAN NOT BE DISPLAYED". It seems others are getting in. I wonder what my problem is?
    Guitars:

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok! I went back to the top thread and saved the MP3 to my hard drive. Very good example of improvement there Justa. My hat is off to you since you performed the recording with your acoustic. To me that is a big step. For what I can play, it sound 100 times better on my electric than acoustic. My acoustic buzzes a lot and it is hard to do barre chords. Again excellent job Justaguy.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

T_ross... your a lucky man to be able to sit along and play with Willie.. what moments those must be... I don't own Teatro but have heard tracks from it.. goes along with Spirit some say... I like Bandera played from that cd alot although he has played it on others.. I have a lot of Willie's cds.. latest being the cindy walker songs and 'it always will be' (im wearing this one out back and forth to work).. so so so many songs he has recorded that are great... I want a Trigger and a baldwin amp and to play timeslipsaway/crazy/nitelife as he does during concerts which I seen many of!! heh.. but I would never has his style or tone.. such a great player and writer.

Robert, Swede.. I think that was my main point.. this site gives Confidence.. and it's growing.. to hit the strings harder and with more confidence really does make it sound good..even when it dont..lol... heck of a nice trip... thanks guys

Tim.. Strumming was one of my biggest problems although I got many.. I think I can either hit a string or miss it as I want to "Most" the time.. that 6 skip 5 hit 4 etc strum patterns is really kicking my butt... but its getting better.. as is speeds from slow to fast...less and less miss..and Nylon electric... well it's a sound all its own.. so I guess it has a place.. blues,country,jazz.. oh wait thats the ones I like..heh..I need more nylons...
    http://www.savefile.com/files/8709907 :slow to fast strumming with chords here..
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; June 17th, 2006 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    Robert, Swede.. I think that was my main point.. this site gives Confidence.. and it's growing.. to hit the strings harder and with more confidence really does make it sound good..even when it dont..lol... heck of a nice trip... thanks guys
    Well, thank you Justa for letting us know/hear about your progress!

You know, Miles Davis once said to Mike Stern (who was playing in his band for a couple of years) - "Turn up the volume or be quiet"..
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Justaguyin_nc,

Great job, I have only been here a couple months or so and I can already see the atmosphere is great for accomplishment, that is rare to find anywhere you go. Thanks again Robert and all of you for all your time and help.

Well...I got to get back to practicing. Keep them tunes comin Justaguyin_nc.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Hey keep up the good work man!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice bit of playing. I'm sure you already know a lot more than I-IV-V, but on the other hand just those 3 chords will give you thousands of songs to play. I'm still learning many of them myself.

aeolian

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know more then I-IV-V.. I think I know to much from "reading" and not enough on how to apply any of it..lol.. I am still way a beginner.. Strumming is my main problem and keeping time while doing it.. but I progress slowly... and still have the confidence I need to know I am learning...

This file is my rendition of GhostRiders... trying to strum a few guitars and add bass line plus some fill from plugged in Nylon while just trying to say the words..lol.. a newbies complete band in his own box I guess using tracking software..

http://www.savefile.com/projects/794642
    Download at the bottom of that page...

Description:

Zager-50 Dreadnought and Nylon Ibanez AE10 strumming thru xm8500 Mic into Audigy SoundCard into audacity Eq;ed to Dark N Dull,
    SX 57 for a little bass line and Ibanez AE10Nylon plugged in for some fill lead.. tried singing while playing the nylon at same time.. tough stuff..
    for a newbie like me!

All critics please explain how to improve..besides practice practice practice.. oh never mind.. thats the answer huh...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! You got a nice voice!!

nice smooth sound from that nylon string guitar, we need to hear more of this stuff!
    How to improve? It sounds like you have improved a lot since you first joined the fretnet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc

All critics please explain how to improve..besides practice practice practice.. oh never mind.. thats the answer huh...

Hey, that's pretty cool

Nice tone, nice voice. Perhaps a slide-solo in the last third part of the song. But no real critics at all....
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Great vocals, Justa! I could hear you doing some way cool Cash tunes with your voice. I think you've also hit on the perfect venue for you... Sparse arrangements, mostly just you and your nylon string acoustic.

Well done!

So when's the album coming out?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

wow... you guys are very supportive... thanks a bunch guys... I been enjoying the acoustics both the Zager and Nylon.. adding in the Bass line from the sx57 makes a difference to these old ears.. Vocals? me...lol.. it's like jukebox singing drunk at the bar... One thing I can say about getting OLD... you have no shame in your game.. be'it good or a bad thang.. lol...

Here is more vocals I was trying to see if I got any browny points with this one.. and it worked..

http://www.savefile.com/files/8322929

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing!
    I think you really have found your style, and what a great song!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast