Thread: F. Zappa on censure

Post Thanks / Like

Default F. Zappa on censure

Pretty old clip of a discussion about censure in Rock music with Cnn hosts. Frank has been attack from everywhere but he does respond with his own punches .

He is probably one of 20 th century musical genius in my opinion but how about the lyrics of his tunes .

It s a little long again , sorry ..take your time..

Ciao

Blazes
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Good post Blazes. It may be old but still worth a listen since there are still plenty of people willing to "blame the media" for all the ills of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazes
    He is probably one of 20 th century musical genius in my opinion but how about the lyrics of his tunes.
    I think many of his lyrics are as genius as his music. Sure some of them are downright silly (though I think there is plenty of room for humor in music) but some are brilliantly satirical and a lot more insightful than a lot of other so-called "socially conscious" lyrics.

FZ's one of my all time heroes as a musician, lyricist, composer and general human being.

Anybody who hasn't read "The Real Frank Zappa Book" is missing out on the insights of a fascinating mind.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Anybody who hasn't read "The Real Frank Zappa Book" is missing out on the insights of a fascinating mind.
    Is that the autobiography? I read it a few years back, can't remember the detail other than it being a very interesting read. Another book I highly recommend is Miles Davis' autobiography (I think it was actually co-written with a music journo/writer). Packed with expletives, but fascinating reading. One of the best music books I've read.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suhnton
    Is that the autobiography? I read it a few years back, can't remember the detail other than it being a very interesting read.
    Yes, it's Frank's autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Suhnton
    Another book I highly recommend is Miles Davis' autobiography (I think it was actually co-written with a music journo/writer). Packed with expletives, but fascinating reading. One of the best music books I've read.
    One of my favorite books of all time. I re-read it every couple of years, but then again, I am obsessed with Miles. It is full of expletives, but a lot of that is because the word "mother-f*cker" had a meaning of it's own among jazz players of that era where it was used as a term of admiration for someone who could really play. The rest of the language is just Miles being Miles. He wasn't exactly known for being a particularly nice guy.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Zappa was so much more than a musician...

The day Frank passed away, our world became a little darker...

I have watched this video in the past; now as well as then, I'm just amazed at Frank's patience against such criminally stupid people.
    Gearlist:
    Guitars
    - Kramer Pacer Deluxe (’87) with SD pickups
    - EBMM 25th Anniversary hardtail
    - EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail
    - Squier CV Tele (Reliced!)
    - "Relic Wallpaper Squier ’51 (heavily modded)
    - Custom made Precision type bass with EMG pickup and custom paintjob

Amps
    - THD Univalve
    - Tech21 Trademark 10
    - 2x12” Tube Town "flexi-back" cabinet, with Celestion Speakers

Effects, etc
    Peterson Strobostomp, Budda Bud-wah, BYOC Script Phaser, Proco RAT (original), Boss HM-2 (modded), EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Line6 M13 Stompbox Modeller, Axon AX-100 MkII, Digitech GSP1101/Control2

Visit my page on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/thegenusloci