Thread: Any steel guitar players out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Any steel guitar players out there?

I have a Sho-Bud 10 string single neck that I have intentions of trying one of these days. It belonged to a family friend and band leader of a country band I played bass in when I was a teenager. I remeber noodling on it years ago, but haven't had it set up since it came into my possession. I think I'll add it to my signature list, but maybe I should at least learn how to string/tune it

Steel guitar is pretty obscure, not a ton of info out there so I'll take what you got. If you know of any good websites or forums, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thinking of running it thru my new Blues Overdrive pedal David Lindley/Mercury Blues style

Thanks!

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Trev!
    I have a Sho-Bud Lloyd Green model. Single neck w/ padded armrest, 10string-E9 tuning. It has 3 knee levers and 3 pedals. I'm really not very good on it at all, but it is a blast to play around on. There are sounds you can only get with a steel (good AND bad ). Here are some sites you may like. I think they will help you get started. I certainly hope you will start playing that steel. I find you can make yourself some nice backing tracks if you just learn a few basic chords and bends.
    http://www.larrybell.org/id32.htm
    http://steelguitarforum.com/
    There are lots of other good sites out there. I think there is one that is a Canadian steel players site. Hope this helps.
    Glenn