Thread: Washburn D10S vs. Epiphone DR-200S

Post Thanks / Like

Default Washburn D10S vs. Epiphone DR-200S

Hi all - looking for a lower-cost solid top acoustic, and have seen the threads on the Washburn with positive feedback, but curious to the forum's opinion on the Epi solid top. Price differential between the two is about $100, but both appear on paper to have similar construction - spruce top, mahogany back and sides, etc. I've played the Washburn and like it, but haven't gone to the local GC to try the Epi and would like some opinions before making the trip. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find one to try, check out a Seagull or Art & Lutherie (both made by Godin of Canada) in your price range - they make some wonderful guitars with great bang for the buck, and made here in North America.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

It's my experience that most name brand solid top acoustics in that price range are more or less equal. They're made to very similar specs, from the same materials - and in a lot of cases they'r made in the same factories. If you can't pick one based on an in-person sound test I'd say go with what looks good to you.
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

I didn't hear ya, there was something bluesy in my ear

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly!!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Dreadman has a point. One music chain here has both Fender and Cort acoustics. Why, they're the same guitars at the same prices with small cosmetic differences apart from one or two models. Look beyond the headstock shape and logo and you'll start to see the similarities.

Also cheaper acoustics can vary hugely in sound from sample to sample. If you should find a good sounding sample locally don't be tempted to save a few bucks by buying the same model online from a big discounter.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the feedback. Took a look at the Art & Luthier today at lunch, and it sounded great, although I wasn't too keen on the natural finish. Supposedly they age better, but aesthetically just wasn't appealing to me. Will keep trying and pull the trigger soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Good points all around.

There are a lot of good choices in solid top, lam back and sides, acoustic guitars for not a lot of coin. Washburn, Epiphone, Blueridge, Morgan Monroe. I don't own one but I'm a big fan of the Epi line of acoustics. The solid top 200 series and the all solid wood Masterbilts.

Last time I was in the local GC they had the low end Breedloves on sale. It's a been a couple of weeks, but I think they were priced under $500.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bossfan
    Thanks all for the feedback. Took a look at the Art & Luthier today at lunch, and it sounded great, although I wasn't too keen on the natural finish. Supposedly they age better, but aesthetically just wasn't appealing to me. Will keep trying and pull the trigger soon!
    Yes, the sound of mine has changed (improved) markedly since I've had it. I like the finish, myself - you can buff it to more of a gloss with 0000 steel wool and butcher's wax - but the top is cedar and it mars very easily, I have to say. Gives the guitar a nice warm sound though.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Take the Washburn. You won't be sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

I did it - bought the Washburn and am happy with the purchase . I took a chance and purchased online, but no problems with the guitar and factory set up is good. I'll likely change the strings out soon, but it sounds pretty darn good and now need to practice a bit more to make it sound better! Thanks all for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bossfan
    I did it - bought the Washburn
    Hey congrats on the new toy!!! Most Washburn owners do swap out the Vinci strings pretty quick, although the new D10's I've played all sounded pretty good to me.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Just so you know, ZZounds has dropped the price on D10s by $50.

And yes, I know you can get them cheaper elsewhere but just in case someone decides to go through zzounds and help the Fret.net out.