Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video: Suhr Classic through a Heatseeker 18

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Video: Suhr Classic through a Heatseeker 18

Here's my newly acquired Suhr Classic through my 18 watt tube head and Avatar 2x12 with Eminence Wizards. There is noticeable hum, and that's because I'm playing kinda loud and I'm sitting right in front of the speaker. The one I thing I wish this guitar had is the SSC system - noise cancellation. I might buy this later, we'll see. I went to the jam last night with it, and the hum wasn't so bad since I was not standing right in front of my amp. My Hellhound sounded better than ever last night! : This guitar definitely make all my amps sound better.

The clip is kinda long... sorry for that but I had too much fun and I just messed around for a looooooong time.
    I used a Maxon SD-9 for distortion. I was amazed at how much more I am getting out of this pedal with this guitar. Amazing.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great. I think the Squier's and SX can expect a long rest.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, the definition of the tone is awesome. I realized that the tone develops/emerges pretty fast, so to say directly in ya face! The tones shape in a nice way when you play with the activated od9, especially around 12th fret you get that unbeatable Jimi's Band Of Gypsys kinda sound. Seems as if you get a lot of beautiful overtones on the entire fretboard. This is a high qualitiy guitar built for performers and not collectors, one can hear this in your clip.

Now you only need the Badger 18 or 30 - played that thing yesterday during lunch break and it burns.

J75
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!!!!!!

Fantastic!

You pronounced the name like "sir" I would've guessed "sure" but I don't know.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

very tasty playing ! , It's obvious this guitar is inspiring for you. and I can hear why, it sounds Great!

:
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good Robert!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very nice - some great tones there Robert. :

It looks and sounds like you got a great guitar there.

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds really great Robert, and you can tell you absolutely love it which is also so important. Sounds like you found a "just right" guitar for you! Congrats!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you got a guitar capable of matching your playing skills. The Suhr really does have that classic Strat tone, very nice!

Is the hum due to 'regular' single coils in the guitar? The pickups sound extremely good though. I hope the noiseless system won't hurt the guitar's tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

I am not sure how you pronounce "Suhr"...

The hum is due to regular single coils yes. I was sitting right in front of the amp, turned up pretty loud. That's what happens with all single coils. The noiseless system is supposed to keep the sound identical. I have already talked to John Suhr about it... I'm gonna send him this video too and what he thinks.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Thanks guys!

I am not sure how you pronounce "Suhr"...

The hum is due to regular single coils yes. I was sitting right in front of the amp, turned up pretty loud. That's what happens with all single coils. The noiseless system is supposed to keep the sound identical. I have already talked to John Suhr about it... I'm gonna send him this video too and what he thinks.
    In reference to a comment: How do you crank up your amp and sit right in front of it? No hearing problems?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,
    Nice guitar!
    Man that was a short 12+ min. video.......... :
    What I mean is, I was digging it and all the sudden it's over!
    Very nice demo of the Suhr, the Heatseeker, the Maxon, and your playing.
    I was grinning every time you swept the guitar around and getting that sweet feedback off the Wizards.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again...... nothing gets the sound and feel of a good amph cranked, does it? (A modeler through headphones may sound good, but not the same thing)
    Do you notice how you just feel the notes and chords bounce off the fretboard when those speakers are movin' some air and thumpin' off your chest?

Thanks for the video, I really enjoyed it.
    (btw, my Strats hum pretty loud when the amph's are cranked, too.I just crank 'em and play over it. )
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian
    Looks like you got a guitar capable of matching your playing skills. The Suhr really does have that classic Strat tone, very nice!

Is the hum due to 'regular' single coils in the guitar? The pickups sound extremely good though. I hope the noiseless system won't hurt the guitar's tone.
    That would be my concern too. Glad you are going to consult Mr. Suhr about it. If you would lose even a little bit of that articulate sound and great tone, I would just accept the hum. Sounds great! :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Superb sounding guitar ,that clean tone is awesome , does it have much more output than your other axes.Congrats Rob you made the right choice ..

Blazes
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Don't let the hum bother you. You'll learn to deal with it. Beautiful guitar.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty suhr that's what it sounds like upon entry into heaven.

Beautiful guitar, Robert, and great tones!

Next time, though, you need to say "Hello, this is Robert, Friendly Forum Boss, Global Moderator, and big veined, Suhr owning guitar badass of TheFret.net!"

Great, now you've got me GASing for expensive gear now. :
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!Great playing and Tone to die for!Even with that rosewood fingerboard its very bright.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Kat, I'll try and remember that.

Regarding the output Blazes, no it's not much more output, just better output!

And I'm already half deaf, so that's why sitting in front of a loud amp is just what I need in order to hear anything.

I thought it was very cool that John Suhr himself contacted me (after he apparently found the video) and said something like, "great playing and glad you like the guitar - let me know if you have any questions regarding it." That impresses me.

Post Thanks / Like

Great new palette of tones to add to your arsenal, Robert - what a beautiful clean sound - clear and chimey. Of course, always a pleasure to hear you 'noodle around'; you make anything sound great, and this guitar is clearly not just 'anything'.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast