Thread: peavey's and cables

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default peavey's and cables

Im want to get a decent peavey amp for christmas and im trying to decide whether to get a 50 watt model amp or a 75 watt tube hybrid amp. I would also like to know where a good online shop s for quality but cheap cables.
    any suggestions:

Post Thanks / Like

I really couldn't tell ya what sounds good for playing Jonas Brothers music. :

Since you're a younger guy, I would recommend the Peavey Vypyr line, if you're going to stay with that brand. Why, you ask? Well, it's lower maintenance than a tube amph, they cost less, are very flexible, and sound great to my ears with a little tweaking.

If you're gonna buy cables online, use zzounds.com. You're purchase goes to supporting TheFret.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    I really couldn't tell ya what sounds good for playing Jonas Brothers music. :

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrohe
    If you're gonna buy cables online, use zzounds.com. You're purchase goes to supporting TheFret.
    Don't you have to go through the link on the bottom of the page for that? (I just wanted to make sure...)

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, and thanks for posting that.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Since you're a younger guy, I would recommend the Peavey Vypyr line, if you're going to stay with that brand. Why, you ask? Well, it's lower maintenance than a tube amph, they cost less, are very flexible, and sound great to my ears with a little tweaking.
    I heard one of the Vyper amps a while ago, good range of tones and the effects seemed pretty good. You're going to need at least the 30 watt one to be able to get any decent volume out of it though.

Why Peavey rather than Vox though?
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I have an old Peavey Ultra112 combo. 60W tube amp, three channels and reverb. Highly recommended if you can find a cheapy 2nd hand.

Definitely loud enough for band practice, even with the 12", much more so though with a cab.

Peavey amps are built like tanks. I have two and they are both very solid bits of gear.

Anyway, just thought I'd post that in case you came across one in your search.

Whilst I was very happy playing through a Marshall JMP1 preamp a couple of weeks ago, I'm still very much a "friends don't let friends by solid state guitar amps" kinda guy. Especially as you'll be using it in a band environment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tibernius
    I heard one of the Vyper amps a while ago, good range of tones and the effects seemed pretty good. You're going to need at least the 30 watt one to be able to get any decent volume out of it though.

Why Peavey rather than Vox though?

Having messed around with both, and having purchased a Vypyr 30 for my son, I think it comes down to which sounds you like best, and which one is easier for you to use. I like how the Peavey Vypyr controls work and are set up logically. Also, they have a really good distortion system built in. Price is better on the Peavey too. But I think it is a situation where you try them out and decide which one you like.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson