Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Epiphone Valve Junior Modifications - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Epiphone Valve Junior Modifications

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Yes! To DVM you listen!

I like the bluesy overdrive I can get from my TO800 through the Blackface model better than cranking the gain on the AD30VT alone. For that I'll keep the gain on the amp at about 1:00 and set my TO800's drive at about 9:00, the level at noon, and the tone at about 1:00-2:00. That gives single coils some respectable SRV-esque umpf.

As I've mentioned many times before, I use my TO800 to give the UK70s model the extra cajones that it otherwise lacks. The gain is dimed on the AD30VT. My TO800 is set for virtually no drive, but the level is dimed and the tone is at about 1:00. Basically I'm using it as a non-clean boost (by "non-clean" I mean it is also boosting upper mids slightly).
    Do you have any idea as to how this compares to a Bad Monkey? I see they are about 1/2 the price as the BM, but I was curious on how the two compare.

checked out e-bay the other day and could have had a new Bad Monkey for $40, free shipping (BuyItNow) - but drag your feet...
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Do you have any idea as to how this compares to a Bad Monkey? I see they are about 1/2 the price as the BM, but I was curious on how the two compare.

checked out e-bay the other day and could have had a new Bad Monkey for $40, free shipping (BuyItNow) - but drag your feet...
    I've never seen a Bad Monkey. I'm sure it has more solid construction than my TO800. IIRC, the Monkey also has two tone controls instead of one on the TO800. I posted a link to a review about a year ago where someone compared a TO800 very favorably to a TS-808. Sounded good to me!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

For the sake of completeness, I've updated my Valve Jr. Mods webpage with a description of the last 3 mods/upgrades I did to my "vers. 1" VJr combo:

• Speaker upgrade to Jensen C8R
    • Switchable 4 ohm/8 ohm output
    • Output transformer upgrade
    The new info is down near the bottom of the page.

While doing the OT swap, I came across a very useful document HERE. These are the detailed instructions, with a lot of good technical explanation, that came with a commercial VJr upgrade kit from S2 Amps. Though the kit is no longer sold, the information is detailed enough that you could easily buy your own components and do many of these upgrades yourself. I see a couple in there that I may yet do on my own VJr (it never ends!)....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    While doing the OT swap, I came across a very useful document HERE. These are the detailed instructions, with a lot of good technical explanation, that came with a commercial VJr upgrade kit from S2 Amps. Though the kit is no longer sold, the information is detailed enough that you could easily buy your own components and do many of these upgrades yourself. I see a couple in there that I may yet do on my own VJr (it never ends!)....
    That is a very good document, DVM. I made a hard copy of it awhile ago and put it im my "amplifiers" book.

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad Monkey

I have a bad monkey but haven't used it since I got a couple multi effects units: a Digitech RP350 that usb's into the computer, and a really neat Korg AX5G that is plastic but uses batteries or ps and is really full of great sounds without even tweaking but is highly tweakable and has a pedal that works as a selectable vol, wah, or effects depth pedal, also has a default setting for each program you can change. Got the Korg AX5G for 39 price match at GC from printout of Music123 sale. Got an acoustic AX3A, no pedal, I'm experimenting with but my Grate Gunnison 60 watt two channel has some effects built in, not many but good ones.

The bad monkey is nice. I like it but it is fairly heavy overdrive even at the lowest settings. There is a lot of great distortion/overdrive, but not outrageous like a Metal Master or even a Grunge. I like my Grunge though. Fairly heavy distortion/overdrive. My VJr. brand new, (what version would that be?) has great natural overdrive. I'm using it mostly with the Epi 4 by 12 So. Cal. Cab I got for it rather than the matching one 12 that I also have for portability purposes. Those 4 by 12s sing and I got it new for 199. The one 12 is like 130. I can now also get a more powerful head.

Bad monkey is something I won't sell though. It has great tone. Way superior to my Metal Master. My Boss OD-3 is neat though and has a lot less overdrive if you are looking for something that you can turn the overdrive down on.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Ok after starting some mods to the stock board I decided to go full tilt!! Had most everything except the board ,tube sockets and the sozo caps so did not have to invest much more into it. Now that it is done I am totally happy with it.No more hum and its got some serious balls now,gain might be a little over the top I think if I did the tone mod it would curb that some,will wait get some more playing time and see??Just sounds way cool through my 2x10 cab!!

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! Nice job there, FBS! : :

Got clips?? :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

No don't have any clips no way to record right now one of these days I am going to get a 57,but right now gear budget going to a few amp builds......Two more builds and one rebuild then I'll be set........ I think??????? Plan then is to pick up couple 57's ,multi track digital recorder (something like Boss Br 900 cd) and a looper.

The last pic is not how the VJR finished out I wound up rerouting some wires the tied down excess for a cleaner look.......Have pull the chassis to cool down bias some will take final pic then

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678