Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about "relic" guitars?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you feel about "relic" guitars?

My local boutique guitar store - http://wildwoodguitars.com/new/ - does a booming business in brand new, high-end Fender and Gibson guitars that have been "relic-ed" to look old, worn and beat up. This all started when Fender wanted to reintroduce classic nitro finishes, but knew they'd be too fragile to hold up under warranty. So, they put nicks, dings, scratches and wear marks on them and sold them as "relics." Now, Fender offers NOS (New Old Stock, unaged, which I prefer) and Closet Classic variations.

I think the re-creation guitars, made to look and feel exactly like a star's main axe, are interesting. At least, you get some insight into how they've used and abused their favorite instrument. But the idea of buying a new guitar that has been made to look artificially old really bugs me.

With a "real" old guitar, you're buying the instrument's mojo and history. With a "relic" guitar, you're paying extra for what amounts to fake mojo, in my opinion. Personally, I want a new guitar to look new, then I can watch it take on a patina of age that reflects MY history with it. To that end, I paid an up-charge to Gibson to have them NOT age my custom-color Les Paul.

I realize there are some playability and sonic differences with, say, a worn in neck or aged pickups. But I also think there are more fraud possibilities, where an unsuspecting buyers pay top dollar for what they think are "real vintage" guitars.

But that's just me. Clearly a lot of high-end buyers disagree. Where do you stand?
    Q: How many guitars is enough?
    A: Just one more...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like anything that has been "fake-aged" - that goes for hats, jeans, and guitars.

To me that's like cutting your own face up becuase you like the look of scars.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see paying extra..........
    If you find a bargain on a neck/body/etc. that's been worn naturally, that's different.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's kinda silly. But for people who have enough money, I guess why not if it floats their boat. I think it's a waste of resources to "relic" a new guitar.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Would never get one if they have a NOS option for the same model.

But let`s say I see someone selling a Relic Nocaster for 1.500,00US$ - I'd go for it all the way. After all, I dont think I could tell what dings are "real relic" from the "fake" ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iago
    I don't think I could tell what dings are "real relic" from the "fake" ones.
    That's a good point. The owner of Wildwood Guitars told me once that relic guitars are great to have in the shop because they're immune to shop wear.

Another guitar shop in Denver (that has since gone out of business) used to be so anal about shop wear that they put sticky notes on the pickguards when you tried them out, they watched you like a hawk the whole time and then wiped every fingerprint off immediately when you put a guitar down. I always felt unclean when I went in there.

And don't even get me started on Ed Roman's "Don't Touch Until You Buy" policy at his store in Vegas....

For the record, Wildwood is GREAT about letting you try out any guitar for as long as you like.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the (hawk eye) feel in the music store here,so I do not go there much.Sumi I think I'll wear a straight jacket next time I go there and see how that goes over.
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big fan of "factory relics." I'd rather relic my own over time...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    I get the (hawk eye) feel in the music store here,so I do not go there much.
    I don't know why you'd want to make your customers feel ooky about shopping for something that's as personal as a guitar. One guitar can sound totally different than another one of the same model. How can you tell if a guitar "speaks" to you if you can't sit down and get to know it? Maybe all those store owners are big proponents of speed dating, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    I'm not a big fan of "factory relics." I'd rather relic my own over time...
    My take, also.

I've never understood the entire relic craze - a brand new guitar factory dinged and abused for exponentially more money than the stock model...............or the players that have their's "professionally relic'ed" for big money. That's all well and good until I start hearing just how superior these "relics" are to the stock line.................perhaps the owner's trying to justify the ludicrous prices?

As a wise man once said "Put a few cigarette burns on a Strat, and you've just increased its value by $25,000". :
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fab4
    Another guitar shop in Denver (that has since gone out of business) used to be so anal about shop wear that they put sticky notes on the pickguards when you tried them out, they watched you like a hawk the whole time and then wiped every fingerprint off immediately when you put a guitar down. I always felt unclean when I went in there.
    That`s pretty much how the stores are here. And don't even think about asking about it if you're a teenager without dad and his wallet there with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fab4
    And don't even get me started on Ed Roman's "Don't Touch Until You Buy" policy at his store in Vegas....

For the record, Wildwood is GREAT about letting you try out any guitar for as long as you like.
    HAhahaha this guy has some sense of humour, really! Though, I kinda like his rants.
    I've heard good about Wildwood!

Post Thanks / Like

David Wilcox sort of has a song about all this, called "Guitar Shopping". When he has young, he says:

I needed something old and righteous
    with its own authority
    So the first guitar I ever bought
    Was twice as old as me

But now lately I buy new guitars,
    They're shiny as a hearse
    I still like the look of road wear,
    But the roles have been reversed

I turn 50 next week, so I guess bring my own road wear with me to every gig, too. Must be that creaking noise I hear when I bend my knees...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    I can't see paying extra..........
    If you find a bargain on a neck/body/etc. that's been worn naturally, that's different.
    This. ^

Post Thanks / Like

I think that many (not all ,but many) relic buyers are out to give an impression that they are long lost and battered road warrior musicians
    just by the look of their guitar.what other purpose is there? it has nothing to do with playability..

Most of the instruments I have purchased in the years past were allready worn, I'm drawn to that worn out used instrument in the corner of the shop , it has some history behind it like an old hot rod or piece of furniture. it has honestly earned those scars over years of playing and getting knocked around.

I'm not drawn to the instant relic in any way.some look good but they are simply artificial.
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    This. ^
    Same, other than I would take an excellent deal on a "reliced" guitar if I like the guitar, but would maybe pay less than a well worn guitar. Like I would not pay extra for "distressed" jeans, but would buy a good vintage pair from a surplus shop or second hand store.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I would like to meet someone who has actually bought one. My Wildkat had some light scratches, so I guess I got a great deal based on the pricing I've seen for relics.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

totally agree, a good deal = a good deal regardless.
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I think that many (not all ,but many) relic buyers are out to give an impression that they are long lost and battered road warrior musicians
    just by the look of their guitar.what other purpose is there? it has nothing to do with playability...
    Agreed. To me it's pompous, preening, pretentious posing. "Look at my old road warrior guitar. It makes me look like I've been playing for 30 years...........even if I'm only 22".

But I don't really see too many working musicians using relics. They tend to do their own relic'ing. The collector, big dollar relics make me laugh. The only market they seem to be aimed at is the non playing yuppies..........but those guitars are never marketed with playing intended.

If a relic is yo thang, more power to you. Just don't show up at one of my gigs and tell me how much better your relic is compared to the newer guitars I'm playing. Factory installed dings and artificial road rash doesn't make for instant mojo.

Did I mention I'm not big on relics?

I'm off rant now..........................
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker

Did I mention I'm not big on relics?
    That reminds me, do you have any opinion on relics?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast