Thread: Tuning Article

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuning Article

Someone posted this on another forum (yes, there are others out there) and for those of you that have not been to the site, I figured it would make for some good reading.

http://www.endino.com/archive/tuningnightmares.html
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really great article, Strum. It's interesting that you post this because I've been going apoplectic trying to get the low E to tune properly on my Floyd. I'm going to try some of his tips and see if it helps. I do know that using the neck pickup with the tone rolled back really helps tuning my bass.

Update OK, I just tried tuning my Floyd by plucking the string at the 12th fret. MAN does that make a difference! Tuning was much easier and when I was done it sounded a lot better. Thanks for the little ray of sunshine, Strummy. Almost made me as happy as the bakery gang and friend.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Thanks for the little ray of sunshine, Strummy. Almost made me as happy as the bakery gang and friend.
    Glad that it helped you. I'm also glad that you threw in the word "almost".
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I skimmed it but its really peaked my interest and plan on reading further tomorrow...thanks!:

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome article! That was a great read and I'm going to have to take it in a couple more times.

Thanks for postin' bud.
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

I didn't hear ya, there was something bluesy in my ear

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I read all of that yesterday and applied it last night...I really dig plucking from the 12th fret, I mean it doesnt feel natural, but it does make it more consistent.
    Although I would have liked a lil more bout intonation...I did learn a bit from that link.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    Although I would have liked a lil more bout intonation...I did learn a bit from that link.

+1

I tried to tweak intonation on 2 guitars on the w/e and man, in my mind I know it's just physics, but in my heart I'm convinced there is black magic at work there. I have huge troubles getting it 100% right. I'm reading up on it as we speak (err I mean I'm working hard)