Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much would you charge for a New Year's Eve gig?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    FUNERALS????

Dude, that's gotta be a depressing gig.
    Hey, I do funerals all the time

They usually don't ask me to bust out the guitar tho.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    What are some of the gages used to determine the pay for a gig.

First, how does one (a group/band) determine their value? It sounds as if the number of members really doesn't mean a whole lot to the person doing the paying.

Second, how does the person paying determine the value of a band (besides wanting to pay as little as possible).

Don't take into account geographical location, but what other things come into play when determining the value of your group and/or the value of what one would be willing to pay.
    You get a feel for what other local bands are pulling per gig and factor in your "draw factor". A brand new (unknown) band isn't going to have the draw, so you start out basically schmoozing your way into a gig for cheap - repeat bookings and prices contingent on the draw.

As the band builds a rep and a following, the band's hand in negotiations grows stronger. You start playing the better bars / clubs for more money. This takes time, a lot of leg work work, and spreading good will among the bar owners.................................it's doing good business.

Bar / club owners talk to each other. Your pay and repeat booking is based on your reputation as a draw.

It's all about networking with other bands and venue owners...................................with a big dose of patience.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Plank,

So my idea of playing Vegas for a month and then retiring on my earnings probably isn't good idea? Keep in mind that the first night in Vegas will also be my first gig.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Plank,

So my idea of playing Vegas for a month and then retiring on my earnings probably isn't good idea? Keep in mind that the first night in Vegas will also be my first gig.
    Don't quit your day job.

There's simply no major money to be made anywhere, anymore with live music. Some locales and gigs pay better than others, but you won't be able to make a living from it.

I'm just in it for the fun and the beer money.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Don't quit your day job.

There's simply no major money to be made anywhere, anymore with live music. Some locales and gigs pay better than others, but you won't be able to make a living from it.

I'm just in it for the fun and the beer money.
    I don't understand how anyone makes money in music these days. If you are a known act, people are burning your CD's and give them to friends or downloading from the internet and burning CD's for friends.

How does one make money in music?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand how anyone makes money in music these days. If you are a known act, people are burning your CD's and give them to friends or downloading from the internet and burning CD's for friends.

How does one make money in music?
    Make money as far as major money goes? Not even the signed, air played acts are doing that. They're so far in hock with the labels with the advance money ( includes studio cost, pressing costs, and touring costs........................now some of the labels want of cut of merch) that they will be lucky to break even by the time the the ride ends. Everyone is making making money off the music but the musican himself.

I got a taste of this a little over twenty years ago when I was going to "make it".

As far as bar / club bands go, there is no way you're going to make a supportable living doing that. The gigs are just not out there.

If you're into music for the money, you're in the wrong game.

Post Thanks / Like

New Year's Eve gigs are special, very special! We once played a New Year's Eve gig with the acoustic duo. We charged double the price we normally take and they paid without complaining, plus the buffet was free for us. We took approx. 1.100 USD that night. BUT we played and played and played, all in all about 7-8 hours in the lounge where people came to relax from the louder dance and disco music. we played our set over and over again with a break to have a snacks and drinks of course.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12