Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much would you charge for a New Year's Eve gig?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How much would you charge for a New Year's Eve gig?

We got offered $700 (CDN) bucks for a New Year's gig. Would you take it?

We'd likely use a 4 person band.

I am personally thinking they are nuts. That's like the best night of the year?!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends. Is it a bar? A company party? What do you usually get for gigs? How many people are expected?
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

A bar. I don't know what we get any more. Used to be we got $150-$200 a piece, but lately that's not been the case. Gigs don't pay like they used to. I don't know how many people are expected. Depends on how the advertise and market the event.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

New Years should be better than $700 divided by 4.
    Do you have any other options? Maybe you can get them to throw in food and a bottle or two of Champagne if you have to take the gig. Otherwise, look for another gig. Maybe tell them you'll do it and then keep looking for something that pays better.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Well they said they'll give us a 200 dollar bar tab. I don't need that - I'd rather get some more money so I can get that Marshall!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive made several new years eve gigs ,for exemple let s say normaly you charge $700.00 or $800.00 for a bar gig, add $250.00 for that night and double your standard pay for bigger places..

They make big money on new years eve , so ..

Blazes:
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

make sure you learn that Fogelberg song (forgot the name). thats always a hit
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Double fee, add 10%, add bar tab. New Year's Eve sorted :
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Double fee, add 10%, add bar tab. New Year's Eve sorted :
    And by double, I'm sure Mark means double your usual rate. I like the additional 10% and bar tab :

$700 for a 4 piece is chicken feed any night of the year. It' s almost disrespectful for New Years Eve, so unless you want to do it just for the fun of it, I'm sure you can negotiate a better deal.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Here where I live that would be right around the going price for one of our regular bars and they all seem to have bands on New Years Eve If it were one of the four larger bars it would be around 1200 - 1500
    New Years Eve here is not really one of the best times to gig ... being a college town ( 3 colleges ) most of the students are gone then

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Used to be we got $150-$200 a piece, but lately that's not been the case. Gigs don't pay like they used to.
    That's excellent coin for my area. We normally pull $500 for a gig, and we're five piece.

I'm sure not in this for the money..........................
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming no travel is involved, I normally ask $100 per person per hour for parties, weddings, funerals, balloon launches, and suchlike, with a two-hour minimum. For holidays or other occasions where there are likely to be a lot of annoying drunks, I try to get at least $150 per person/hour. Otherwise it's not worth the trouble.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot my only reference is back in the 70's. We thought 100 dollas was good for New Years:

Hey you do know Proud Mary right? And Jeramia Was A Bullfrog? And.........You better get some good money if you have to play that stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Holiday occasions are usually "double dot" (for EVERYONE, including the customers!).

But what you describe Robert (gigs not paying well any more) is a worldwide phenomenon, I can assure you...
    Gearlist:
    Guitars
    - Kramer Pacer Deluxe (’87) with SD pickups
    - EBMM 25th Anniversary hardtail
    - EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail
    - Squier CV Tele (Reliced!)
    - "Relic Wallpaper Squier ’51 (heavily modded)
    - Custom made Precision type bass with EMG pickup and custom paintjob

Amps
    - THD Univalve
    - Tech21 Trademark 10
    - 2x12” Tube Town "flexi-back" cabinet, with Celestion Speakers

Effects, etc
    Peterson Strobostomp, Budda Bud-wah, BYOC Script Phaser, Proco RAT (original), Boss HM-2 (modded), EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Line6 M13 Stompbox Modeller, Axon AX-100 MkII, Digitech GSP1101/Control2

Visit my page on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/thegenusloci

Post Thanks / Like

Our gigs have been paying pretty good - in fact our first gig 3 yrs ago as a 4 pc was for $450 total. We're now a 3 pc and our base price (i.e. standard gig, little travel, our PA, 9PM-2AM) is $900. It goes up from there. For example, add $400 - $500 if we need to rent a larger PA/Lighting system, hire a sound tech etc.

On average, we're pulling $250-$300 a piece per gig. Then again, we'll play for beer and pizza for the right crowd and if we feel like it - benefits of self-management.

This summer we are doing a 8PM - 10PM opening spot for the Saturday night headliner at a music festival about 5 hrs from here. We're getting $1200 plus meals and accomodations :

We are supposedly on the roster of a local talent agency and we've set our price at $1600 cuz they take a 25% cut (YIKES! ) - hmmm... come to think of it they haven't booked us for anything yet

Life in the fast lane :
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ro3b
    I normally ask $100 per person per hour for . . . funerals . . .
    FUNERALS????

Dude, that's gotta be a depressing gig.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    FUNERALS????

Irish funeral.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    FUNERALS????

Shiner you have got to go to a Gypsy Funeral sometime,talk about a party whew!Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

What are some of the gages used to determine the pay for a gig.

First, how does one (a group/band) determine their value? It sounds as if the number of members really doesn't mean a whole lot to the person doing the paying.

Second, how does the person paying determine the value of a band (besides wanting to pay as little as possible).

Don't take into account geographical location, but what other things come into play when determining the value of your group and/or the value of what one would be willing to pay.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast