Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Schaller or Dunlop strap locks?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schaller or Dunlop strap locks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Schaller or Dunlop strap locks?

Hello All,

Which do you prefer? I am thinking of buying a gob of these I am long overdue.

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have the Dunlops and like them fine. The Schallers you can get parts separately for as I recall (I think ShortBusX did a thread) so you can outfit multiple guitars and use the same straps without having to buy a set for each guitar/strap I think. I am too far down the Dunlop road now so will stay with those.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Schaller!!!
    Why? Cause its pretty much the industry standard for strap locks...Fender uses them on their higher end guitars...and youll find most(more) people use the Schaller type, so youll find your(own personal) Schaller setup strap will clip right in! I like this cause I feel right at home even when playing somebody elses guitar.

You are also able to find other brand Schaller types that are totally the same thing...only costing slightly less(around $15 vs $20).
    Youre also able to buy replacement parts from StuMac, or even Fender brand lock pins(just the bottons) from MF. I really like these options cause youre able to get the guitar side only, like if you get a new guitar but already have enough straps or conversely if you just got a new strap(and no new guitar).

Since I got my strap locks Ive turned alot of other people onto the Schaller type...I really dont know anybody who uses the Donlop kind, but read about alot online. Often times my local shop only carries the Donlops, cause theyve sold out of the Schallers...sometimes it seems like a bother for them to do all that re-ordering, but if they aint got em when I need em I find them elsewhere...and usually for a better deal.

[edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I am too far down the Dunlop road now so will stay with those.
    Yeah, thats where Im at with the Schallers.
    I also think the Schallers are more "Fender-y"...and couldnt imagine installing Donlops on mah Fenders...I shudder to think of that poor 60th of yours with Donlops :

And heres that topic with links

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the Schaller system and use it on almost all my guitars. With the Dunlops, it's easier to accidentally release the lock by bumping the release button against something. The Schallers are almost impossible to release accidentally.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I use Schallers. I've had to use the toothpick-and-wood-glue trick because the mounting screws have been smaller than the ones on the original strap buttons. I've got to get a black set for my bass one of these days.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Man what took you guys

Thanks for the info this is just what I needed. I had Schaller way back about the time they first came out but have not tried the Dunlops. I want to get a set for my strap and my daughters strap and then the parts for 6 guitars. Oh the joy! That is gunna cost me:

Thanks again.

M

Post Thanks / Like

Use what you can get. I have Dunlops on my Gibson and they work fine.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I use Schaller, but only because Godin guitars come with them standard.

Use a little loctite on the strap part.

I have had no experience with Dunlop.
    I pick a moon dog.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both, but I prefer Schallers because of the added safety of utilizing gravity when it rests in the "U" cup.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I've only ever used the Dunlop ones, but I see no reason to change from them. I got a set for my Les Paul copy that kept falling off the strap. It hasn't fallen off once since.
    I've never had a problem with the release button on them either. Just a shame they don't sell the individual parts for them.

I bought a set of this version:
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?p...ts/accessories
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tibernius
    I've only ever used the Dunlop ones, but I see no reason to change from them. I got a set for my Les Paul copy that kept falling off the strap. It hasn't fallen off once since.
    I've never had a problem with the release button on them either. Just a shame they don't sell the individual parts for them.

I bought a set of this version:
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?p...ts/accessories
    that's the one thing nice about Schaller's, they sell the buttons separately, so you don't have to buy a complete assembly for each guitar.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware...ity_Locks.html
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    that's the one thing nice about Schaller's, they sell the buttons separately, so you don't have to buy a complete assembly for each guitar.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware...ity_Locks.html
    Yeah, but I need the strap part. My Godins came with the buttons & I like each guitar to have it's own strap & it's own stand so I can just grab & play.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used Dunlops. I even took the Schallers off the JV and replaced them with Dunlops to be consistent. Consistency is important
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I have used just about all of them and right now have a set of Schaller and a set of Dunlops and a set of GFS and I like all three

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever heard of using Grolsch beer bottle washers? The big Grolsch bottles with the champagne style pop top have these pink washers on them that you can slide over your strap and strap button. They work great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    I've always used Dunlops. I even took the Schallers off the JV and replaced them with Dunlops to be consistent. Consistency is important
    I did the same - my VG Strat came with Schallers, but I replaced them with the Dunlops. The reason I changed to the Dunlops originally was that the Schallers didn't fit properly on a Fender Deluxe Wide Leather Strap ! The Dunlops worked like a champ. They also work on my EyelandEnterprises Sedona Strap, which is another strap that is thick at the button hole :

I got my daughter an Essex Bass for Christmas, and I'll be putting Dunlops on it too. The only drawback is that you have to buy a complete set to add another strap - I do keep one Fender Cotton Web Strap without locks to allow a new or borrowed instrument to be used.

And yes, I do have more straps than guitars - doesn't everyone ?

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gil Janus
    And yes, I do have more straps than guitars - doesn't everyone ?

Gil
    Really?! I better go strap shopping!!.. I've got 11 guitars and 5 or 6 straps, but I really only use one of them.

All my main players have Schallers on, and I have a few spare sets of the buttons only, in case any new/rediscovered guitars need a set..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by araT
    Really?! I better go strap shopping!!.. I've got 11 guitars and 5 or 6 straps, but I really only use one of them.

All my main players have Schallers on, and I have a few spare sets of the buttons only, in case any new/rediscovered guitars need a set..
    I'll trade you 2-3 straps for 2-3 of your guitars so that you'll have a one-to-one guitar to strap ratio.

I'm selfless that way.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Well...my Schaller strap locks came today and I am curious on how to mount them on the strap. I had these 25 years ago and I don't remember where the extra nut goes? I put the lug fitting on the underside of the strap with the threaded section up through the strap and then the washer on top with a nut tightened onto that. OK Fine, but there is an extra nut which I would assume is a locking nut but I do not have enough threads to get a good purchase on the first nut. Do you guys just leave the second nut off? I imagine it will stay tight and not loosen up but then maybe not. Do you just keep checking the tightness every now and then?

Thank you.

M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast