Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Another SX Bass Coming to The Fret - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another SX Bass Coming to The Fret

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Jaco and Fretless.....

Jaco put 10 coats of Marine spar varnish on his fretboard so he could use Rotosounds to get that tone and buzziness he had.
    As for D'Addario Roundwounds, thats the only roundwound I'll use. I find their tone, consistency, longevity, feel, and price beats out other brands hands down.
    I use the XL 170's and XL 170-5's, 45-100's, 45-130's. On my Fretless, it's D'addario Chromes ECB-80's 40-95's.
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using the ECB81 strings on my ZON Sonus and the SX fretless jazz. I currently also have a set of these on my Squier Bronco, but have ordered a set of the short scale version (ECB81S) for it. I'm running Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats (JF-344) on my Mahogany L-2000, and as mentioned previously, DR's Extra Life Black Beauties on my Stiletto Custom 4. My Ibanez acoustic came factory equipped with D'Addario strings as well. They are some sort of bronze.

I've used D'Addario's XL strings on my electric guitars for years.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_smith3530
    Thanks for the reply. Hmm, they aren't too expensive, maybe I'll pick one up and try 'cause they sure look sweet!

I found the D'Addario XL Chromes flats to be very reasonable, roughly $30.00 or so at Sam Ash or GC. For expensive, try Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. The last set I bought cost me about $45.00. I hear that LaBella's aren't cheap either.

As for roundwounds on a fretless, I'm against the idea, because your string is going to be digging into the fingerboard itself, since there is no fret to take the abuse. Yes, I know Jaco went that route, but I'm guessing that he could afford to have his fingerboard planed periodically. Either thator he just didn't care. I do!

That said, I've used the D'Addario XL rounds on a fretted bass, and they were nice. My favorite in that category though are the DR Extra Life Black Beauties that I have on my Schecter. These are some really nice strings, the fastest roundwounds I've ever used, and sweet sounding to boot!
    actually the d'addarios costed me about $42 with taxes at long+mcquade, so I think LaBella's and thomastik infeld strings would probably be a bit more expensive than that. but thanks for the review on d'addario rounds (on a fretted that is, I don't have fretless and therefore don't know much about what it entails, so thanks for that advise too)
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind ordering online, try Just Strings dot com (follow link below). They have the D'Addario flats for something like $28.00. BTW, you can use the flatwounds on a fretted bass as well. My whole collection is strung with flatwounds, save for my Schecter and my Ibanez acoustic.

Just Strings
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Talking SX Fretless......

I just did a rehersal with my SX fretless today and I gotta say, the more I play this bass the more I like it. Love Them Chromes!
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12