Thread: The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost

Post Thanks / Like

Practicing & being passionate about your instrument is priceless

for other things there s Masterca....
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

strummy:

my answer to your discussion is this.

we are musicians.

we play an instrument.

we are also human.

it's thursday, for example, and a full moon. we are rumaging in our non-practice time on the internet for the next cool toy, b/c we all experience gas that pepto will not fix. especially in this economy, when everyone is having to count every single penny going in/out of their wallets. the urge to break once in awhile is a maddening, insufferable itch.

we see a peso pick, for example, here in texas. stupid price. but he$$, BG from zz top had one. it's not expensive as a guitar. we had a little extra this month. why not try it. may be fun. [i don't have one, by the way]

we experiment with the money that we have to have toys.

we never truly grow up, especially if you are shiner.

we just have more expensive toys.
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Childbride
    we never truly grow up, especially if you are shiner.
    I think I just farted . . .

Wait a minute, what were we talking about????:

Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    An excellent comparison. I remember hearing some of my wife's relatives talking about how much they spent on golf balls. I started laughing, thinking that it was some of the stupid one-upsmanship that her cousins could get into. About 1/2 second later I realized that they were all dead serious. I'm stunned at the amount of money they spend on golf gear and that's not even considering green fees.

I was considering saying that at least with guitars you don't have to wear stupid clothes, but then I thought of some of my favorite guitarists in the 80s . . .
    I do have to say in their defense the golf ball is the one piece of gear that will make a difference, a pro or hack....... I spend a lot of money on golf balls. Its the different between a 2-4 over par game and a 7-9 over par game. Trust me, with clubs though, unless you are a pro (have your PGA card...not even a touring pro) the clubs wont make a difference, unless their K-mart clubs.....then spend a little bit more money and get a decent set of clubs.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm suprised at how many feathers this thread has ruffled. This has been the most polarized topic I have seen in a while. It is still far more tame than anything I have seen on HC. If you are so bold as to have an opinion on that forum you are immediately confronted with ridicule and profanity. That just reminds me why I like this forum. I enjoy a good debate but we can walk away friends after it's all said and done without seeing the term STFU. I like thefret.net.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    without seeing the term STFU.
    Oooo! You said a worty dird!

Maybe it's time to hijack this thread or move on to something else???!!!

As far as I'm concerned, you're all right. Remember opinions are like b%#*holes, everybody's got one. If I was a drinking man like I used to be, I'd declare it P.O.E.T.S. day and just fugetaboudit!

Post Thanks / Like

without seeing the term STFU.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    Oooo! You said a worty dird!
    Strat, Tele, Fender, Unicorn... is Unicorn a bad word?
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron

Remember opinions are like b%#*holes, everybody's got one.
    That explains all the GAS around here!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Strummy is it the hype that you are primarily concerned with?

One can become convinced that one NEEDS such & so expensive piece of gear after reading all the raves.

If you happen to actually buy it, it might do absolutely nothing for you or at least nothing near worth it's cost. For another it might.

It is helpful to hear all opinions, including those for whom it was a waste of money, so as to form a well-rounded picture & to help stem the tide of GOTTA-HAVE group-think.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Are these V picks only available from the website? I finally looked into them and they "look" cool. Sound cool has yet to be determined. I like the stick to your fingers idea. I listened to their samples and really I could not tell any difference. I might be able to if I had one I suppose.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Are these V picks only available from the website?
    Look't what you did Strum! You post that V-picks are expensive overated hype & you get Tone drooling for one. You can't win.

Yes, I believe that currently you can only by them direct from Vinnie.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Look't what you did Strum! You post that V-picks are expensive overated hype & you get Tone drooling for one. You can't win.

Yes, I believe that currently you can only by them direct from Vinnie.
    Ah no, there is a list of stores that carry them - Locations

And yes, I own some v-picks, a little pricey, but I like them. :

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gil Janus
    Ah no, there is a list of stores that carry them - Locations

And yes, I own some v-picks, a little pricey, but I like them. :

Gil
    I stand corrected Gil. Thanks.

I really like Pyramid picks & those are much cheaper.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

*Googles Pyramid picks*.....
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    *Googles Pyramid picks*.....
    Did the same thing
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Did the same thing
    Me three.

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bet you all thought that they were SHAPED like pyramids.

Nope, they're just standard-style picks, but I like the heavy ones.

V-Pick's are something completely other.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a V Pick thread.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

For the record:

The most expensive guitar I've got was £120. That was the acoustic. Most expensive of the electrics cost £100. My amp(h) cost £90. The multi-effects unit cost £80ish. I think the cable cost £15, both of the straps I've bought cost £15 each. I bought a 25-pack of Planet Waves picks for about £5 a while ago and I've still got most of them left.

I personally would not buy expensive picks unless I was a pro. Because I lose dozens of them and I couldn't afford to. :
    Expensive cables on the other hand...with them it's the old point "you buy cheap, you buy twice". And I can tell the difference in sound/signal quality between the cables that came free with some of the guitars and the one I bought.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast