Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost

Post Thanks / Like

OK

Howz'about these pricey picks?

http://www.dugainpicks.com/

Just plain silly?

Too bad you didn't order last month. You missed out on the following deal
    for a "Mystery Wood Pick" if you spend over $118 in picks.
    NOV OFER
    Free
    MYSTERY WOOD PICK
    with all orders over £60/$118/€76
    (incl. post)

Southpaws rejoice, there are Dugains especially made for lefty's!

Best of all?!? Woolly Mammoth pick!

I pick a moon dog.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post Tot. Looking back, I should have made my post read something like:

The range in prices for picks and other gear/accesories range widely. I would assume, like guitars, the price doesn't necessarily mean quality, better performance, or any other attribute one would want when spending more money. However, if the product sells, they obviously bring something to the table. My question is - do you actually get increased value with the increased cost and if so, what has been your experience (good or bad) in buying the higher priced item? We've had this discussion as it relates to guitars Epi vs Gibson, Squier vs Fender and so on. It's not a "which one is better" it's more of what does higher end bring to the table and is the difference in price worth it? Another point that can be made is the purchase of higher end product because one records and for that reason buys the higher end cable. I am practicing in a 10x11 room with a AD30VT and a Epi Jr, would high end cable really provide the value for my purpose?

So that is what I should have stated, but it's too late now.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum

Nope, it's never too late.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Started with V-Picks, which led me to try Dugains and now finally this:

http://www.wallstreetfighter.com/200...icks-4674.html

Makes my Squire play twice as good as before.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's what Carly Simon said, "It's too late, baby, now it's too late." Let's see if you young whippersnappers know what I'm talking about.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Started with V-Picks, which led me to try Dugains and now finally this:

http://www.wallstreetfighter.com/200...icks-4674.html

Makes my Squire play twice as good as before.
    And then this begs the question, has anyone bought one?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

my first 5 years of playing guitar were dire

When I had my first guitar I was using playing cards and matchbook covers for picks. I inherited a cheap acoustic guitar from my older brother.

I didn't get my own amp and electric for about 3 years, it was a bandmaster head that cost me $100 with a home make cab made from a bunch of home stereo speakers my younger brother built for me built in school.

the guitar was very cheap, but I was so proud of it and that cab and I practiced every day
    even tho the action was a mile high

so for me to spend more than $5 on a pick doesn't compute.I learned how to play and kept my interest on matchbook covers and an out of tune cheap guitar. lol

now many years later, I can afford these things.plus we didn't have many picks and strings to choose from back than anyway.

when I see beginners with les pauls and boutique amps complaining about the pickups and action issues or the tonality of the speaker.... , I have to bite my lip. I've gotten very good at biting my lip about alot of things.

I figure if people can afford what they want than go ahead get the best.
    I didn't have that option in my younger days, but I try to not think about it that way. I try not to let a sense of jealousy show. I can finally afford that stuff, the difference is I feel like I payed my dues to get there.

I can see where these subjects can cause strife, it's just a metter of understanding where people are coming from.I came from a point where new strings were a luxury. and played on 5 or 4 till I could get some new ones.

thank goodness it's not like that anymore..lol
    In my mind,it's not about the gear it's about drive and desire to play no matter what you have. be happy, it's all good
    Last edited by Andy; December 13th, 2008 at 11:25 AM.
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Another point that can be made is the purchase of higher end product because one records and for that reason buys the higher end cable. I am practicing in a 10x11 room with a AD30VT and a Epi Jr, would high end cable really provide the value for my purpose?
    Good question. I remember when I hooked up our DVD player when we first got it, I used some cheapy RCA cables to connect it to the T.V. It worked. I ended up getting more expensive, but well less than $30, cables later. I popped in one of the Star Wars prequel DVDs since they have some of the best audio quality of the ones we own. Without telling my wife which were which, we A/B'd the two. The more expensive ones were noticeably better. It was night and day. In that one instance I can say it was money well spent.

I'm like you in a small room with my AD30VT. I've already got a couple el cheapo cables. I've also got some semi-nice ones that aren't terribly expensive (a bit less than $20). I'd like to get a known-low-capacitance cable and actually see if I hear any difference and if I do, does the better cable sound better to me?

Reminds me of that story (was it posted here?) where someone talked about how SRV preferred cheap Radio Shack cables because he liked how the extra capacitance affected his tone. Who am I to argue with Stevie? Having said that, I don't know how many people would agree with him.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy

when I see beginners with les pauls and boutique amps complaining about the pickups and action issues or the tonality of the speaker.... , I have to bite my lip.
    This is a good reminder (along with the rest of Andy's post). We have the luxury of the best for less, and the distinctions we are talking about now (in this thread) are pretty fine ones, when you compare to how it used to be, when an inexpensive guitar meant poor sounding and hard to play.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold

I'm like you in a small room with my AD30VT. I've already got a couple el cheapo cables. I've also got some semi-nice ones that aren't terribly expensive (a bit less than $20). I'd like to get a known-low-capacitance cable and actually see if I hear any difference and if I do, does the better cable sound better to me?
    I started with the cables that came with the guitars or as a cheap package that included picks and a strap. Most split near the jack within a month.

I use http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1/4in20
    now and they serve the purpose very well and at a good price. I've had these for almost two years two 10', one 20' and one 1' and have had no issues. And unlike picks, I don't lose them.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

So, anyone willing to buy one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:EF:US:1123
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I've had these for almost two years two 10', one 20' and one 1' and have had no issues.
    Except for hearing damage - talk about playing close to your amp!

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1
    Except for hearing damage - talk about playing close to your amp!
    It's to connect the two amps when I tape the AD30VT to one side of my head and the Valve Jr to the other. A 1' cable is much cheaper than headphones.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I changed the title of this thread to "The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost" and it shows up on my edit screen, but not the main screen.

So, for the record, the title is

The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost

This morning it's changed - if someone went in and made the change - thanks.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

It's to connect the two amps when I tape the AD30VT to one side of my head and the Valve Jr to the other. A 1' cable is much cheaper than headphones.

Post Thanks / Like

And it really helps in developing those badly needed neck muscles :

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    So, anyone willing to buy one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:EF:US:1123
    Good example. Now if there is value that = cost, could someone explain. I know it would have no value to me, but who would find it necessary outside of someone that is recording professionally, to need this?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I changed the title of this thread to "The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost" and it shows up on my edit screen, but not the main screen.

So, for the record, the title is

The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost

This morning it's changed - if someone went in and made the change - thanks.
    I thought that the title was:

Wherein Strummy Discovers Tonal Bliss Using a Woolly Mammoth Pick on a Squier & Spends the Rest of His Days as an Itinerant Dugain Disciple.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I thought that the title was:

Wherein Strummy Discovers Tonal Bliss Using a Woolly Mammoth Pick on a Squier & Spends the Rest of His Days as an Itinerant Dugain Disciple.
    That was the original title - you gotta keep up with the changes.
    Mark

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast