Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    That was the original title - you gotta keep up with the changes.
    Did they take your pick away for blasphemy?

This is the point in such a thread where somebody mumbles something about how it costs such n' so to get 90% of the tone & infinity dollars to get the remaining 10%.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Late for the show...seems like the thread's run it's course.

But as for picks....since my 'normal' plastic or nylon picks have been free for the last 10 years or so (perk for being a good, regular customer at a mom & pop music store), I've spent a total of about 9 bucks on 3 'Pickboy' picks: one each, very thick bone, ebony and (some animal's) horn. Worth every cent for the dynamics you get using a light touch.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I owe it to Vinni to post this.

Vinni contacted me yesterday regarding my doubts about the V pick. I won't go into the communication other than to say I have to give him a lot of credit. He was far more polite than I would ever have been and showed a hell of a lot of professionalism as a businessman. He also stands squarely behind his product and is confident of its value.

I still like my choice in picks, but a tip of the hat to Vinni for contacting me.

Once I give the pick another try, I will report my thoughts to Vinni and post an honest assessment.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Strummy, CB has one of Vinnie's picks and I'll be honest, it's pretty damn cool. I don't use picks as a rule. Most of my playing is acoustic and I prefer using the side of my thumb (which has built up a nice callous ), and on the rare occasion that I do play electric, I don't use a pick. But I could immediately tell a difference in the sound of the V-Pick, and I really like how sturdy it is.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Strummy, CB has one of Vinnie's picks and I'll be honest, it's pretty damn cool. I don't use picks as a rule. Most of my playing is acoustic and I prefer using the side of my thumb (which has built up a nice callous ), and on the rare occasion that I do play electric, I don't use a pick. But I could immediately tell a difference in the sound of the V-Pick, and I really like how sturdy it is.
    I had one briefly and I didn't hear a difference between my 2.0mm and 3.0mm Stubby's, but again, I will report back.

It could be the equipment, it could be a tin ear, or it could be I'm right. The one thing that I would say about it right now, it probably provides a greater range with different angles of attack than the others I mentioned.

Oh, and it will definitely differ from your thumb.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345