Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost

I have (and also other have) made comments about picks and other accessories that I feel are over priced. The V pick is just one of them.

So, for the purpose of discussion I was wondering how the forum felt about the subject.

My take: Some people go out and spend an above average price for "special" accessories, yet play or plug them into $150 Squiers. Some state the Squiers (or any inexpensive guitar) sounds just as good as the more expensive models and don't see the need to buy the more expensive guitar. However, they will pay the price for the more expensive accessories.

Before I get pounced upon, I've seen this same phenomenon at a number of forums, so I am not singling out the people here.

So, your thoughts? Remember, this is discussion.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Being very cautious there, Strum. You would have thought most people would assume if you say something, it is your opinion. . . But not always, I guess.

I know what you mean though - and there can be a few reasons for this.

A - the difference in price between a lesser guitar, i.e. Squier, to its more expensive counterpart, i.e. Fender, can be great as opposed to the difference in price between a $1 pick and a $5 pick, even though that's actually a 500% markup.

B - some people don't like to admit they suck and try to compensate by buying more expensive, though ultimately useless (in terms of 'better' playing), gear. Following in Strum's footsteps, I don't know a single person here that does that, but rather people I've played with over the years.

C - sometimes, people may just like that expensive little pick. There's a French saying that goes something like Je ne sais quoi that sort of sums up that feeling.

All good discussion, though.

Mage

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Is $4.00 for a pick is expensive? Compare to most pedals which we probably all buy too many of, most of them are $40.00+... I think $4.00 is a small investment for something you will enjoy using when playing guitar.

I think Squiers are underpriced. They should cost more.

Some think the $150 modeling amp sounds just as good as the $1500 dollar amp... it's all in the head and in the wallet.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    Being very cautious there, Strum. You would have thought most people would assume if you say something, it is your opinion. . . But not always, I guess.

Mage
    What do you mean by that comment. If you are trying to say something, spit it out. We are all entitled to our opinions of course, even the Administrator happens to have one.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert, you and I obviously differ on the practical (using that word for lack of a better one at the moment) price for certain things with picks being one that just bugs me. The reverse is true on guitars, you feel Squiers are good and under priced, I feel they are low cost guitars and play like one.

Over at the Epiphone forum there is a running debate about epi being just as good as Gibson. I personally feel that some Epi's give Gibson a good run for the money. There is and always will be the cost of things being associated with the quality and performance of an item.

I don't see any value in a $4.00+ pick versus the $.45 to $.65 ones I picked up yesterday. Now I have no clue about the ones that you purchased recently, but I owned V pick and without question I think they are nothing more than a $.45 pick that are over hyped so they can charge more.

I'm not really taking a poke at you, but you also brought up cable, another item that seems to attract attention if it cost more, but in most cases the more costly product brings very little, if any, improvement in performance.

Now, I will give you the edge in knowledge seeing that you have played far longer than me and you have acquired far more toys than me. However, I must again remind you that I am older and therefore more apt to be right since it has been proven time after time I am never wrong.:
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    We are all entitled to our opinions of course, even the Administrator happens to have one.
    And I never said anyone wasn't

---EDIT---
    Although, after reading Strum's post, I will state my own. I think that certain cables can be better than others. I used to go through 2-3 cables a year until I started forking out a bit more on them. Then I went to a standard Planet Waves cables, it went to 1 cable a year, and now that I have switched to a better quality Planet Waves, I've used the same ones for nearly 2 years with no problems. They are about £15 each and I think they are worth every penny for various reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

As a recent convert to V-Picks I can say that I know where you are coming from. I didn't see the point in spending $4 on a pick. Even after I got them I wasn't sure if they were worth it. It took me a few weeks to get use to them but I definetely have seen my picking technique improve. I actually had to adjust my picking hand position but that's a small sacrifice. I now don't find $4 all that expensive. My friend uses tortoise shell picks which cost around $50. I have never been the type of person to buy cheap equipment. That doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with less expensive gear. Spending a little more on my gear makes me feel more confident when I play. I feel like it's more reliable. I like knowing that my guitars (not my Gibson or Fenders) were crafted by a highly skilled luthier as opposed to being spit out of a machine by the thousands. None of this necessarily makes me a better player. The guitar is a hobby and a passion of mine. To me, it's worth it.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I guess my problem is understanding why one would play a cheap guitar with expensive or high end picks and cable. It's a cheap guitar, so the pick and cable aren't going to make it any better. Put that extra money towards a better guitar.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I guess my problem is understanding why one would play a cheap guitar with expensive or high end picks and cable. It's a cheap guitar, so the pick and cable aren't going to make it any better. Put that extra money towards a better guitar.
    I agree with you. Your signal can only be as good as it's weakest link.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I'll agree that good cables are money well spent but there is a limit. Very cheap cables are a waste of money in terms of life expectancy in my experience. But on the other hand, a £100 cable (and they do exist) gets you way up the diminishing returns path.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

The V Pick is worth everything I spent on it. I love it and it will last my life time.

Strum, I think you need to get past gear issues and just focus on playing your guitar. It doesn't really matter what something costs. That is for the consumer to decide. If something bugs you then look at what doesn't bug you and pick up your guitar and play. That's really what matters most. Change your focus and improve your playing.

I don't think anything is over priced. I just stick within my budget and everything is just right. I have no problems making music with what I own no matter what it cost.

Cheap does not equal inferior.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

If you will allow a newbie a few thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    The V Pick is worth everything I spent on it. I love it and it will last my life time.

Strum, I think you need to get past gear issues and just focus on playing your guitar.
    I think if we all stopped focusing on gear issues and just focus on playing, this forum would be a bit of a drag.

I think people are into guitar for all kinds of reasons. Some serious some not, but the gear issue is a purely personal matter I think. Sure some things are overpriced (markups that far exceed the per unit cost to manufacture and bring to market) but that's where the free market comes in.

As for the V-Pick, I had never heard of them before running into Vinni (boss of V-Pick) in mid rant about his products. "Santana buys them by the crate and says it's the only pick he'll use and I don't pay him nuthin'". etc, etc. His spiel was amazing. I was going to burst out laughing but I couldn't help admiring his old school pitch. We talked and he gave me one of his picks. Said it costs 15 dollars. I couldn't believe anyone would pay that much for a piece of plastic. Then I tried it out when I got home. Within a week I decided I cannot live without Vinni's picks. Are they overpriced? For the material costs/labor, probably. But it's a unique product that I will buy because it works for me, so it is worth the cost.

My three cents anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Its sad that some players doesnt realize what difference in sound/feeling a good pick can do...

I sometimes play with a coin when I want that fat Albert King sound, and playing around with different picks can be just as fun as a new pedal.

Speaking of the V-picks, I got one from Vinnie and I really like it..
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

That is because nobody is perfect and desires and wishes vary from time to time. When GAS enters the head no concious decision can be made. Example: You have a 150USD Squier and then GAS hit you on a cool T-Rex Spin Doctor Pedal that cost twice if not three times as much or you read something about better sound with more expensive cables...Sometimes the priorities we guitarists set are chaotic and lead by GAS, but that is what makes the magic with our hobby/passion. No rules here. Maybe the Squier guy never felt the need for another guitar because it sounds great, but he always had issues with his overdrive pedal and then he buys some boutique overdrive. Absolutely okay, as long as it makes him happy. :

Regarding the 4$ for a pick. Well, same thing, there is people who spent 4$ for cigarettes, so what, try the 4$ pick and decide for yourself if it worth spending the 4$.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Picks can change the tone & picking dynamics of any guitar.

One can emphasize the high frequencies, one can lend itself more to smooth, fast playing with a fatter tone.

Yes, if you are playing a a not so good guitar the former will emphasize the high frequencies of that guitar & the the other its the darker tones--& you might not like either of these. I'd be very surprised if anyone would claim that a pick could transform sh!t into gold.

On the other hand, one can easily see the use in difference in emphasis, speed, ease of grip, etc regardless of the guitar. If $4 can get you some of that, it seems worth it to me.

No big deal if you tried one such choice & found no difference in any of the subtleties mentioned above.

That said you can get a heck of a lot of mileage from whatever pick you happen to be using by varying pick attack angle & where you pick, over neck pup, behind the bridge, in the middle, down the neck, etc. I can't play worth beans, but it sounds different to play beansless near the neck than by the bridge.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have a V pick or really nice pick, but like to try different picks and do not doubt anyone who says they make a difference to them. Among the less expensive picks I have tried, I really like some and really dislike others. I dislike dunlop nylon style, really like tortex, and fender heavys, and now am leaning toward Dunlop Ultex with the rhino on them. They seem bright and articulate. I bet I try one of these more expensive ones one of these days.

As we know from this forum, you can find some great values in the inexpensive lines like Squire, SX, Xaviere, etc. and you still need a good picking surface that works for you. Both physical effects, and confidence are affected. And you need decent enough cables that don't add noise, impair signal etc. Livewires are a little more than the cheapest and seem to do the job for me.

But playing more would make the most difference for me I think.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; December 11th, 2008 at 07:44 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Veering off-subject a bit, I see some backward similarities with some motorcycle riders:

Super-expensive new (or near-new) bikes... and extremely poor to-non-existent essential safety gear, and often rider skills!

(Not even the $25 leather H-D work gloves... people never heard of tendon surgery and gravel removal, I guess)
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

This discussion reminds me how "personal" playing guitar is. Bass players, drummers, keyboard players, just don't seem to have this emotional/personal attachment to the instrument. I've watched a zillion jams over the years and have never seen a guitar player borrow an axe to join the jam. Yet bass players often do, drummers, keyboard guys always. I've seen all kinds of singers join a jam, have never seen one bring there own mic. So.... all these little things like choice of picks, strings (Strums fave subject), pickups etc.. are part of the phenomenon.

Buying a $4 pic is also a small indulgence if you will. Can't drop a fortune for a vintage Les Paul or pre war Martin, but I can have the absolute best pick. Sort of like spending $4 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Strum's topic was picks and OTHER over priced gear. What I can't understand is the ridiculous price of some of the straps that people are buying. I guess they're the same ones who buy overpriced jeans that already worn out and $30,000+ vehicles to get 5 more miles to gallon or even RELICED GUITARS.

Just my two cents (make it 5 with inflation.)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast