Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    Strum's topic was picks and OTHER over priced gear. What I can't understand is the ridiculous price of some of the straps that people are buying. I guess they're the same ones who buy overpriced jeans that already worn out and $30,000+ vehicles to get 5 more miles to gallon or even RELICED GUITARS.

Just my two cents (make it 5 with inflation.)
    I agree with this. The Van Halen Peavey straps are a little overboard at $150.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll sell you a relic'd Vpick for $6 .
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evenkeel
    This discussion reminds me how "personal" playing guitar is. Bass players, drummers, keyboard players, just don't seem to have this emotional/personal attachment to the instrument. I've watched a zillion jams over the years and have never seen a guitar player borrow an axe to join the jam. Yet bass players often do, drummers, keyboard guys always. I've seen all kinds of singers join a jam, have never seen one bring there own mic. So.... all these little things like choice of picks, strings (Strums fave subject), pickups etc.. are part of the phenomenon.
    I'll agree that in my limited experience that bass players tend to be more laid back about these sorts of things, but just peruse the TalkBass forums sometime and you'll see GAS and related insanities are alive and well in the bass world. Post a thread about whether SX basses are any good or not, sit back, and watch the show.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

The only person a player's gear has to please is the player - be it over the top, boutique, expensive, cheap, or "spark-o-matic". If the player feels good about his gear, it's all good........................even if the player is playing a '59 Les Paul with $300 cables through a Super Skull Splitter spark-o-matic amp.

A player needs only to justify his gear to himself.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Cheap does not equal inferior.
    Words of wisdom right there Spud.

I have two friends that are professional musicians, both of whom have owned dozens of guitars and played hundreds of others ranging from the super-cheap to the super-boutique. Both of them insist that my $125 Squire Strat is one of the best-playing Strats they've ever picked up.

As far as other gear goes, it's all dependent on what it is you're actually looking for in a sound. I have a lot of affinity for some bands with a very lo-fi sound. If they were more polished and clean, they wouldn't appeal to me at all. This is not the case with everything I listen to, but it makes the point that not everybody is looking for the same clarity in their sound.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    The only person a player's gear has to please is the player - be it over the top, boutique, expensive, cheap, or "spark-o-matic". If the player feels good about his gear, it's all good........................even if the player is playing a '59 Les Paul with $300 cables through a Super Skull Splitter spark-o-matic amp.

A player needs only to justify his gear to himself.
    You are a sage. Very nicely put.:

ps. where do I find this Super Skull Splitter Spark-o-matic?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

ps. where do I find this Super Skull Splitter Spark-o-matic?
    You dont have one??? What kind of collector are you??
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Strum, I think you need to get past gear issues and just focus on playing your guitar. It doesn't really matter what something costs. That is for the consumer to decide. If something bugs you then look at what doesn't bug you and pick up your guitar and play. That's really what matters most. Change your focus and improve your playing.
    No, I don't have a gear issue as you see it. I am questioning the value of various gear as it relates to the end product/results. Having a gear issue would be someone that wets themselves every time they buy something that is even remotely related to the guitar.

I guess because I don't drool over the same product, I therefore am not following the forum line. Expressing anything outside of the "accepted" then becomes the unacceptable and an attempt to shut down the "DISCUSSION" follows.

I question a product and you attack my practice habits?

It's just a discussion about why and why not a product or products might be worth the value.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I guess because I don't drool over the same product, I therefore am not following the forum line. Expressing anything outside of the "accepted" then becomes the unacceptable and an attempt to shut down the "DISCUSSION" follows.
    I respect you more and more everyday it seems. :

Im diggin the whole cost vs value topic.
    But in the case of Squiers, you can let low cost dictate value...they really are great guitars and Id even go as far as to say underpriced.
    But conversely a $4 pick or $150 strap doesnt dictate value either.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, take a chill pill. It's just a discussion topic, not a presidential debate. Remember, Santa Claus is watching you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

See, I tend to make my vote with my wallet. I simply don't buy items that seem overinflated for the job that they do.

A $5,000.00 PRS? Probably won't buy one, no matter how well they play.

A $500.00-600.00 PRS SE model? You bet, because they play great and are solid, well built guitars.

Others may disagree, and state that the higher price is justified for them. That's cool, it just ain't for me.

I play the picks that I play because I've tried a bunch of different thicknesses and materials over the years, and the ones that I like work best for me.

HOWEVER....

If I find a product that does its job so well, and is more durable than the competition, but is priced higher, I may save a little extra to afford that product.

In other words, I can see myself playing on a Squier (or an Epi, or an SX, et cetera) with other, more expensive equipment if the product does what I want it to do. It's all about function.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm dropping out, not worth discussing.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    I respect you more and more everyday it seems. :
    Im diggin the whole cost vs value topic.
    So why don't we as a forum create a venue or a topic threat that is sticky'd to the top of the page where WE ALL can rate how we feel the cost VS value?
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe there is a difference between an epi and a gibson , and a xavier and a tele. however unless a person is at the point of being hindered or held back in some way by the cheaper guitar ,amp picks ,strings it's not really going to help them much to get the expensive stuff.other than to have something that stays in tune a little better or plays and sounds better.
    or makes them feel better.

contrary to popular beliefe,you can still learn and play on a cheaper guitar

I always compare it to golf

when you are a pro golfer than a high end expensive club will give you that slight advantage because you are at the level to reap the benefits of that high caliber club. if you are just a beginner or intermediate player than that club will probably not make much difference at all.

but that doesn't mean a person should not buy what they want , if they have the money and are not putting their finances in a bind than go for it.why not. you have earned it
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I'm dropping out, not worth discussing.
    Heck I play both cheap and not so cheap and I don't even know what a V pick is how do you think I feel!

*goes to google*
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I always compare it to golf

when you are a pro golfer than a high end expensive club will give you that slight advantage because you are at the level to reap the benefits of that high caliber club. if you are just a beginner or intermediate player than that club will probably not make much difference at all.
    An excellent comparison. I remember hearing some of my wife's relatives talking about how much they spent on golf balls. I started laughing, thinking that it was some of the stupid one-upsmanship that her cousins could get into. About 1/2 second later I realized that they were all dead serious. I'm stunned at the amount of money they spend on golf gear and that's not even considering green fees.

I was considering saying that at least with guitars you don't have to wear stupid clothes, but then I thought of some of my favorite guitarists in the 80s . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I've really enjoyed all of the responses to this thread - but I don't feel that anyone has tried to provide THE answer to Strum's question, or intended to do so. Please, step back and take a breath - don't let a discussion about $4 picks cost anyone a Fret friendship that is worth a lot more than that! The cameraderie here has been worth more to me than most of my (inexpensive tho it be!) gear.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I believe there are some things that are just overpriced...but who is to say what is really overpriced as long as people are willing to spend the money to get it?
    I may not think an italian leather strap is worth $150, so I wouldn't buy it. But I've never spent five hours on stage playing with a 10 pound LP hanging off my shoulder. Someone else here may already have one, and would not want to be without it.

$4 for a pick seems a bit high but I'm curious enough to try to get one just to see. Of course if I don't like it then I'll be irritated I spent $4 on the thing, but that's life.

I guess my point is, value is relative to the consumer.

Now I don't really know if I answered the question or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    An excellent comparison. I remember hearing some of my wife's relatives talking about how much they spent on golf balls. I started laughing, thinking that it was some of the stupid one-upsmanship that her cousins could get into. About 1/2 second later I realized that they were all dead serious. I'm stunned at the amount of money they spend on golf gear and that's not even considering green fees.

I was considering saying that at least with guitars you don't have to wear stupid clothes, but then I thought of some of my favorite guitarists in the 80s . . .
    Man does this hit home- since I play golf and attempt to play to guitar with about the same amount of skills. I've never had a lot of $$$$$$ and I grew up working hard for $$$$ all my life. So I never have been one to spend huge dollars for something that I could a similar or like item at a lower price. I'm still quite a learning guitar player but have several friends who have MUCHO DOLLARS invested in gear who are very impressed when they play my cheap guitars through good amps. The same goes for when I'm playing golf- I have a set of clubs that are copy cats of Callaway clubs that cost 5 times as much. I can hit the ball just as straight and far as my friend does with his set of BIG BERTHA clubs. I think my point is we all have reasons for buying what we like and there may be visible or audible differences to each ear and eye. I'm glad to see this information shared and I have learned a lot from these discussions on this site. I have heard changes in tone from changing picks all though some are not very noteable. Will I pay $4 for a pick? The answer is Yes! Why? To give it a try and see what or if there is a difference. I hope that we all continue to express our opinions and report our findings.:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast