Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Headphones 101
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headphones 101

Post Thanks / Like

Default Headphones 101

Ok class...another one for you. When you get ready to listen to your favorite late night jam or the latest late night video on youtube and you're forced to put on your trusty headphones...does it matter to you which side goes where? Do you just put them on however you happen to pick them up or do you check to see which side is R and which side is L and put them on accordingly? Ah was just wonderin'....
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on whether I am using my headphones or ear-buds. With the headphones I still put them on correctly 99% of the time because the cord is on the one side and I know which side it is so it comes naturally to put them on that way. If, by chance, I put them on the other way it doesn't make any real difference. Now, with the ear buds, it makes a difference. They are designed to go in the correct ear. Sure, you can make them fit on either side, but not comfortably.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I always figured they were marked L and R for a reason, so I put them on that way if I can help it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peachhead
    I always figured they were marked L and R for a reason, so I put them on that way if I can help it.
    +1

It's like shoes, except for the ears : :

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I like to have the buds or headphones in the correct ear... always. The sound was mixed down a certain way, and I'm always checking to see if I've got the left and right on correctly.

What would happen if you played a Beatles song backwards with the earphones inverted?... See what i mean... you're headed for trouble if you do it any other way!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify on my original post I just happened to put on a set of headphones to watch a video of Uncle Ted and it didn't occur to me to include ear buds but yes of course please include these in your response as they are probably most used nowadays anyway. : Before listening to what the Nuge had to say I made sure I had R and L in the right place as I am very careful about doing this. Earbuds are handled in the same manner. It probably doesn't matter to most but to me it kinda does.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Coming from a background of competitive online FPS gaming (as in for $$) you make real sure you have your cans on the right way. You don't need to be hearing footsteps to your right, then turn right only to be shot in the back of the head because you were actually hearing sounds to the left.

Never really an issue though as I've been using sennheiser headphones with mic for ages and you can't really put them on wrong (or the boom goes the wrong way)

Post Thanks / Like

My studio phones can go either way depending on the situation. If I'm listening only then it doesn't matter which side is on which ear. If I'm mixing then that is a different situation. I prefer to have left-right match my pans instead of being reversed.

Depending on the playing/recording situation I'll sometimes switch ears just to move the cord to a different less annoying place.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Since my wonderful Beyerdynamics phones decided to go to headphone heaven I picked up a pair of Koss Porta Pros... not great sounding but their design makes it impossible to use them the wrong way.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

One of the kids lost mine.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought myself and the Mrs a set of Sennheiser CXL400' noise cancelling earbuds they were originally $79.99 when they first came out. Newegg had them the other day for $19.99 scooped 2 sets and man the difference noise cancelling makes...I wore them at work the other day and it was so relaxing being able to kill the office chatter.

I made sure to have Louie on the left and Ralph on the right :-)
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I put L on L and R on R always.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

L on the nose, R on the back of the head.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    L on the nose, R on the back of the head.
    Left ear bud down the back of my shirt collar, right ear bud up my right nostril. :

Nah, I am pretty predictable. I put things on as they are marked. Except when I put my underwear on my head.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I usually put the left in mah left and the right in mah right.

BUT I have a tip that may improve your enjoyment of your ear buds that few people know bout. When I did lawn work many years back I found that if you insert the ear bud in sideways you get a better seal inside your ear and the music sound better, richer, fuller and louder.
    Sideways is a lil hard to describe, so I will try and explain....instead of putting it flat towards your ear(with wires hanging downwards) put them in with what used to be the top in your ear with the speaker facing that lil nubbin of your ear so it looks like the wires are coming right out of your ears...does this make sense? Cause its kinda hard to explain without showing you...but it works fantasticlly!

Another tip, when buying earbuds...look at the specs on the package, they will give you a range of frequencies that they perform at...find earbuds with the lowest hz available...sometimes you can find them as low as 12hz or even 10hz...I know the human ear isnt supposed to hear bass frequencies that low, but you are getting a better quality earbud by looking for that.
    20hz earbuds are low quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
    Another tip, when buying earbuds...look at the specs on the package, they will give you a range of frequencies that they perform at...find earbuds with the lowest hz available...sometimes you can find them as low as 12hz or even 10hz...I know the human ear isnt supposed to hear bass frequencies that low, but you are getting a better quality earbud by looking for that.
    20hz earbuds are low quality.
    Interesting.

You're right in saying the human ear can't hear below 20Hz (or above 20KHz), but I'm a bit dubious about the advice to select headphones based on their lowest stated frequency. My thinking is that any manufacturer making claims of 12Hz from "in ear" style headphones is being misleading and should be avoided. Just like any Hi-Fi amplifier that is rated in PMPO rather than RMS.

As I understand it, frequencies below 20Hz are "felt" rather than "heard" and whilst in ear headphones could possibly vibrate your skull enough to "feel" <20Hz frequencies, I have big doubts.

Enclosed headphones are another story however and because of their design I'd believe they could vibrate your skull at frequencies lower than 20Hz.

The Sennheiser HD 380 Pro monitors claim an incredible 8Hz-27KHz, but of course, these are not in-ear headphones (and frankly, I'm still skeptical)

Of course the next thing is to consider what you are pugged into. Unless your amplifier has a frequency response that drops into the sub 20Hz area your are obviously not going to hear those freq's in your headphones. I'd suspect that includes every portable media player and a large percentage of low to mid level hi-fi amps with the exception of those with a dedicated sub channel, and even then, I point to your source. Was it mastered with the intent to include such low frequencies? If it was mastered for vinyl records I'm thinking no it wasn't.

Anyway, interested in others opinions on this

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Teach... am I wearing them right?
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I try to match those L_R to L-R.

Post Thanks / Like

This kid knows how to wear them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast