Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Xaviere Strat Work

Thread: Xaviere Strat Work

Post Thanks / Like

Default Xaviere Strat Work

I'm in between pedal projects, so I decided to use some of that free time to make some changes on my new (in August) Xaviere XV-870 Strat copy. In my opinion, these guitars are just a fantastic value for under $200. Sure, at that price, they have some weak spots, but nothing so serious that it isn't easily addressed (at least, in the one I bought). I had been delaying fixing a couple of small issues with mine, but decided to get after them this past Saturday. Here's the rundown on the work I did:

1. For whatever reason, the guitar came with all 500K pots, unusual for an S-S-S Strat-type guitar. 500K's tend to make single coils sound a little too bright, something I had noticed with mine, which is why 250K pots are the norm for these pickups. At the same time, the guitar had been fitted with a linear taper pot for the volume control and audio taper for both tone pots. This is the opposite of what is usually used--audio taper for the volume and linear for the tone controls. I had pointed this out to Jay at Guitar Fetish and he had sent me six new 250K pots, 3 each linear and audio taper, so that I could mix & match however I wanted. Time to use them!

At the same time, I also wanted to install my favorite Strat mod on the guitar, namely a push/pull switch to enable adding the bridge pickup in series to either or both of the other two pickups (see diagram below). I particularly like the bridge-middle-in-series combo for it's very cool combination of quack and power.

So to accomplish both of these changes, I removed all three of the stock control pots and installed an audio taper 250K pot with integrated DPDT push/pull switch (wired per the diagram below) for the volume control and two 250K linear taper pots for the two tone controls.

2. On the latter two pots, I replaced the stock Xaviere 0.033 uf polyester film tone caps with NOS 0.015 uf Sprague "Vitamin Q" sealed oil-in-paper caps I got from Bloozcat a while back. I decided to try the lower rating after reading an interesting article by Dirk Wacker in Premier Guitar (another good tip from Bloozcat!). Now 0.015 uf is still quite a bit higher than this guy recommends, but (1) it was the lowest rated of these NOS oil-in-paper caps I got from BC, and (2) it's still a move in the right direction.

3. The guitar also came with the neck & bridge pickup wired for tone control and the middle pickup with no tone control. IMO, this is better than the traditional Strat method of tone controls for the neck and middle and none for the bridge, but I really prefer to have tone control on all three pickups. Fixing this issue is a simple matter of locating the empty tone connection lug for the middle pickup on the 5-way switch and then just jumpering it to either the neck or bridge tone lugs; I connected mine to the neck.

4. Lastly, the guitar came with the trem claw spring tension set very high, so that the bridge plate was flush against the guitar's body and the only trem movement was in the pitch-dropping direction. That's how I have my Strat Plus set up, so I thought it would be fun to float the trem block a slight bit on this Strat. The main thing this entails is backing out the two screws on the trem claw to shorten the spring travel and relieve some tension on the block. I backed off enough to raise the bottom edge of the bridge plate about 1/16" off the body, which allows sharpening a note by about a half-step when the trem arm is pulled up. I followed the method described on THIS PAGE. The trem on the Xaviere is the "vintage" 6-screw type and uses three springs for tensioning. Because this slightly increases the guitar's scale length, I'll need to adjust intonation, though I haven't done that yet.

So how did these changes work out? Just as I hoped they would. The overall tone of the guitar has mellowed out noticeably with the 250K's, but still has plenty of sparkle. The tone pots have a wider useable span now; maybe I'll try even lower tone cap ratings in the future, though these NOS Spragues seem to have a very clean, round tonal quality. The bridge-in-series switch works perfectly, adding 3 more very useable tones. The bridge-middle-in-series is still my favorite, but that bridge-neck-in-series combo sounds great, too, in a semi-Tele-ish sort of way. I've got the tone control on the middle p'up that was lacking, and the trem works very nicely while the tuning stability still seems very good (I'm not a dive-bomber!). All in all, a productive Saturday afternoon....

Last edited by duhvoodooman; March 8th, 2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Updated image display link
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool project, DVM...

A great way to spend the day while "iced in." :

BTW: I asked "Santa" for a Classic Phaser kit from BYOC. As I was leaving the house a couple of days ago, I passed my wife at the computer, and noticed the black and white outline of an alien head up on the screen. I pretended not to notice as my wife shooed me out of the room....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    I asked "Santa" for a Classic Phaser kit from BYOC. As I was leaving the house a couple of days ago, I passed my wife at the computer, and noticed the black and white outline of an alien head up on the screen....
    Look something like this?

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's the little ET right there....

Post Thanks / Like

DVM, sounds like a great project. I think that GFS has good products and I'm happy with the quality of my SX from Rondo. I've been looking at the Tele that GFS has on their site, I would like to hold out for a Fender but the price difference comes into play for this ole guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Vood - I'm interested in that jumper to add the middle pickup to the tone control (I rewired my Fully to the set-up you describe the Xaviere having, with tone on the bridge). Any chance you have a diagram for that?

THX! Ted
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

I have been wanting one of the strats from xavier-I watched a bunch of demos on you tube and they seem great for that price.
    http://www.soundclick.com/sacco
    http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Reverend of Rock n Roll .

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1
    Vood - I'm interested in that jumper to add the middle pickup to the tone control (I rewired my Fully to the set-up you describe the Xaviere having, with tone on the bridge). Any chance you have a diagram for that?

THX! Ted
    I think he's talking about this mod, that's featured in the latest "Premier Guitar":

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...e_Control.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Ron!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that will do the job! :

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

They really looks great but how can thoses guitars be made in great wood for that price The Telecaster Thinline series interest me a lot but I really wonder where is the bad surprise.

What is your experience with that strat you bought ? is it well finished and nice woods ??
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes
    What is your experience with that strat you bought ? is it well finished and nice woods ??
    Read through THIS.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Read through THIS.
    Thanks Voodoo Man it looks really like great instruments I have to see if they ship overseas and for what prices
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface