Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
That No Talent Kid Rock

Thread: That No Talent Kid Rock

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default That No Talent Kid Rock

OK, so I know I'll probably get blasted for this one, but is it just me or is that no talent Kid Rock not the biggest joke around? I mean really, he's trying to come off as a Southern boy, yet was born and grew up in Detroit. Last time I checked, Michigan's about as far North as you can get in the good old USA.

I can't say as I can name anything I've ever actually heard him sing, and now all of a sudden he's got this blatant rip-off of Sweet Home Alabama. I guess he's not got enough talent to come up with his own ORIGINAL material.

The really sad thing about this duh-huh song is that it doesn't sound like SHA, but IMO it sounds more like Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London". Silly me, but I just don't get all the fanfare...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    OK, so I know I'll probably get blasted for this one, but is it just me or is that no talent Kid Rock not the biggest joke around? I mean really, he's trying to come off as a Southern boy, yet was born and grew up in Detroit. Last time I checked, Michigan's about as far North as you can get in the good old USA.
    Oh, now, take it easy, Ron. Nobody's got a right to blast 'ya for your opinion about the guy, I'm not a fan of his either ('cept maybe when he got his come-uppance at the end of "Joe Dirt").
    But the "wanting to be something he's not", growing up in Detroit and dreaming big of being someone else?
    Bigoldron, I got two words for you.........

"Bronco Billy"...................
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; December 17th, 2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Cleaned up the quote misformat...
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I do have to give him credit for making a name for himself out of nothing. But that's the kind of credit I would give any con man, so it's not exactly praise....

Post Thanks / Like

Give him credit for being earworm material though. Once I get "Bawidtaba" lodged in my phonological loop, it's there for days.

BAW-idta-BA daBANG-a-DANG dicky dicky dicky said the boogie said UP JUMP the BOOGIE...
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ro3b
    Give him credit for being earworm material though. Once I get "Bawidtaba" lodged in my phonological loop, it's there for days.

BAW-idta-BA daBANG-a-DANG dicky dicky dicky said the boogie said UP JUMP the BOOGIE...
    I hear that. The intro to that track is too long though.

I'm not a huge fan though. If I wanna hear a white boy rap, I'll put on anything by Everlast. (you know, the guy from House of Pain). I really dig a few of his albums and was somewhat coincidentally listening to "Whitey Ford Sings The Blues" Earlier today. The tracks "Next Man" and "What It's Like", and "Ends" are great from a songwriting and musical perspective. My fav track though is "Painkillers". Great little story.

Also, whilst I'm really not into the hip hop thing that went round a few years back where everyone recorded "dis tracks" slagging off each other. The one Everlast recorded about Eminem is awesome. It's called "Whitey's Revenge" and it's well worth a listen.

Anyway...

Post Thanks / Like

The really sad thing about this duh-huh song is that it doesn't sound like SHA, but IMO it sounds more like Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London". Silly me, but I just don't get all the fanfare...
    No blast here, ron... I'm witchaalldaway : First time I heard this pap's opening riff on the radio in my car, I thought it was a remake of the Zevon tune ...then it morphed into the SHA ripoff....

Post Thanks / Like

Since when was talent a prerequisite for pop music?

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan

tung
    I thought showing talent actually disqualified you from making pop music. Kid Rock is a hack, at best.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

He likes to visit Nashville and and get into trouble, I saw him in a club last year, while out with some friends. After a while I went up to him and asked if he was going to stay out of trouble tonight, he just turned and smiled and says "the nights still young" it was around 1:00 am.. lol
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    He likes to visit Nashville and and get into trouble, I saw him in a club last year, while out with some friends. After a while I went up to him and asked if he was going to stay out of trouble tonight, he just turned and smiled and says "the nights still young" it was around 1:00 am.. lol
    The words of a wannabe hood...

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    I thought showing talent actually disqualified you from making pop music. Kid Rock is a hack, at best.
    AMEN!

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    When he was rapping he tried to act like he was from the hood, when I believe his dad owned a car dealership in the 'burbs.
    I've always knew he was a fake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Or originality?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

He said it was supposed to be a tribute to Warren Zevon.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...

Gotta weigh in on this one. I for one, really dig Kid Rock. He's one of the few artists out right now with a proper F.U. rock and roll attitude. Though he made his mark initially in the rap genre, he is a big country, classic and southern rock fan - and a pretty good musician to boot. He was one of the first rap artists to use a live band, rather than relying solely on sampled music.

And on that subject: the song "All Summer Long" takes the hook from three songs. Sweet Home Alabama, Werewolves in London and Take the Money and Run. The kicker is he's using real live musicians and not ripping the samples from the original recordings. It's a unique twist on mixing up the classic rock and rap/hip-hop genre.

Sampling in the rap genre is a way of honoring the original, not necessarily trying to rip it off. It's a different way of looking at things - kids these days

Lynyrd Skynyrd obviously didn't mind as I'm sure they got some royalties (as did the others) and they OPENED for Kid Rock on his most recent tour.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard this song........I'm gonna have to give it a listen.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    Lynyrd Skynyrd obviously didn't mind as I'm sure they got some royalties (as did the others) and they OPENED for Kid Rock on his most recent tour.

That ain't Skynyrd. It's a tribute band who looks and sounds like Skynyrd. Rossington is the ONLY one left of the original group. Powell was originally a roadie and Medlocke played drums for a short time. Skynyrd died on October 20, 1997 with the plane crash.

So, yeah, they probably are getting some royalties and enjoying the cash flow and the chance to tour. Skynyrd used to be the MAIN act and not an opening act, at least not since the early days. Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

As a kid who grew up in Michigan, I'm guessing that this song is probably more true to who he is than his rap stuff. When he was rapping he tried to act like he was from the hood, when I believe his dad owned a car dealership in the 'burbs. I can totally see some of my more redneck-y friends back in the day getting their mullet on and doing what he's singing about.

Having said that, I'm not a Kid Rock fan--other than the lyric from his one song that goes, "in it to win it like Yzerman." Unfortunately, he then goes on and tries to rhyme Yzerman with Heinekens. Oh well. Stevie Y. still rules.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up on Kid Rock when he did that rip-off of 'Sad But True' and exclaimed in the song that he was better than Randy Rhoads. . .

. . . . .

. . . If he was better than Randy Rhoads, why does he suck so much and why couldn't he have written a song as opposed to ripping off one of Metallica's crap songs? And then he had the audacity to call the song 'American Badass'. . . It just gets worse.

But, if you play poser long enough, people are bound to believe you. And some people aren't as critical with their music. You know, most of the kids who listen to that SHA rip-off probably haven't heard the original, so to them, it sounds awesome. That is what I think is a shame!