Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Can anyone help?

Thread: Can anyone help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can anyone help?

A good friend of mine just bought a Gibson J54 from an older gentleman who purchased it new in 1942 and I would like some info on the guitar and approx. value. It is in real good condition for a guitar of that age and the fact it was used by the gentleman for a number of years in a band and is still in good shape is remarkable. Thanks for any info any of you can give me.
    Washburn J28SCE Cumberland
    Washburn D10S
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday
    Friends Are Cherished Music Is Pleasure

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so is that a J45 or a Jumbo 55? Both models existed in 1942. They were both 16" wide round shouldered dreadnoughts but the J45 is much more common. A 1942 J45 will look something like the guitar below (the one at bottom, of course) but with the Gibson banner headstock ("only a Gibson is good enough") and a narrower bridge. Some wartime J45s had no truss rod and some had maple back and sides instead of the usual mahogany. The Jumbo 55 had the fancy bridge of a J200 but a bit smaller and was discontinued in 1943. Both came in sunburst only.

ref: Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars, 1991
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

markb, thanks for the responce. I will have to do some more research on the guitar as I haven't seen it yet. It's at a luthiers getting a clean up and new strings that haven't been changed since the 50s. It is supposed to be mahogany sides and back with a spruce top but I will check it out. Did they not make a J54 back in that time era? He said that was the model number but could have been confusing it with a J45. Thanks.
    Washburn J28SCE Cumberland
    Washburn D10S
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday
    Friends Are Cherished Music Is Pleasure