Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Why so few Gibson posts? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so few Gibson posts?

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry JS the first paragraph was your answer. The plow finally came and of course put 3 feet of Glacier ice in my driveway. I just got in from blowing it away with my 10.5 horse blower and some dynamite. It took me a little longer because I helped a couple of my neighbours out. I barely had enough strength to uncap a beer and after my nap it was too late.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Two reason why I play Gibsons.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qplN4pm1MSE
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Two reason why I play Gibsons.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qplN4pm1MSE
    Now there's two mighty good reasons, ZMAN!
    I have, over the years (and years ago), owned a goldtop LP deluxe and a cherry sunburst LP custom, plus an SG and a mahogany re-issue flying V, and they were all great guitars. Tough times and a divorce forced me to sell them one by one, if only I could have kept them, and known what they'd be worth today............:

But to be honest, if I still had each of them, it probably wouldn't be long before I'd be checking the trade in value on the new EVH Wolfgang when it comes out.:
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry JS the first paragraph was your answer. The plow finally came and of course put 3 feet of Glacier ice in my driveway. I just got in from blowing it away with my 10.5 horse blower and some dynamite. It took me a little longer because I helped a couple of my neighbours out. I barely had enough strength to uncap a beer and after my nap it was too late.
    I ignored the first paragraph, you're Canadian and that is just a dusting. It's not like you live in Waco where the threat of snow shuts everything down for a week.

The fact that you barely had strength to open a beer is your only reprieve. A person in that condition should get to a hospital or even better a bar where they will open them for you.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

OLDGUYYes: Those things can really put a dent into your collecting. Divorce I mean. I was lucky enough to hang on to all of mine, including my wife.
    I didn't want to mention it but she is the real reason I am in the position to buy these guitars. She had a great job and an even greater pension.
    That Cherry sunburst Custom, was it the infamous clown burst? I had an Epi Version of it and it was a very nice guitar. I didn't know about the clown burst logo until recently.
    I would love a Gold top. In fact I think That will be my big purchase in 2009.
    What did the Deluxe sound like with the mini humbuckers.
    I have seen several for sale recently and I was reluctant to buy them because of the minis.
    I have always wondered what it would be like to play a flying V. Albert was my hero and I just could not understand why he chose that guitar. It probably was the playing position for his huge long arms.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Juststrum: I am a Canadian but a spoiled one. Our area never seems to get hit. We have the lakes on both side but we seem to miss the heavy snow.
    This one was the first of the year.
    My daughter went to school in North Carolina and she said it hilarious. There was 1/2 inch of snow and she had to drive all the girst cars out of the parking lot because they could not back them up.
    So I guess you will have to pull the repair off yourself. If you need any help just email and I will talk you through it.
    I will be upstairs playing my Gibson.
    The Blues is alright!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

So I guess you will have to pull the repair off yourself. If you need any help just email and I will talk you through it.
    I will be upstairs playing my Gibson.
    I'm upstairs playing my Epi's - I told my daughter she can use her brothers car.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

OLDGUYYes: Those things can really put a dent into your collecting. Divorce I mean. I was lucky enough to hang on to all of mine, including my wife.
    I didn't want to mention it but she is the real reason I am in the position to buy these guitars. She had a great job and an even greater pension.
    That Cherry sunburst Custom, was it the infamous clown burst? I had an Epi Version of it and it was a very nice guitar. I didn't know about the clown burst logo until recently.
    I would love a Gold top. In fact I think That will be my big purchase in 2009.
    What did the Deluxe sound like with the mini humbuckers.
    I have seen several for sale recently and I was reluctant to buy them because of the minis.
    I have always wondered what it would be like to play a flying V. Albert was my hero and I just could not understand why he chose that guitar. It probably was the playing position for his huge long arms.
    I haven't heard of the clown burst myself......tell us about it if you don't mind.
    As for the gold top......... I didn't care much for the mini's, to be honest, plus the neck wasn't stable....it had to be adjusted constantly, and never stayed in tune..........I had the same prob. w/ a '72 Strat (twisted neck), so I'm not singling out Gibby's, I just got a couple of lemons back then.
    The V was a nice guitar, lightweight, killer sound, cool to look at. It just wasn't me, or for me, at the time. I sold it to a guy I knew who played in a hard rock/punk band at the time. He went on to become a hairdresser and I don't know what happened to the V.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Those things can really put a dent into your collecting. Divorce I mean. I was lucky enough to hang on to all of mine,
    i held on to my guitars....but that was about all.... :
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Old Guy: The clown burst was a Cherry sunburst that got a very bright paint job. They were referred to as clown bursts. I am not sure of the years but these are a few examples. I had the Epi version.

This is the Gibson Version. You can see the bright colors

Another Gibson version.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

O.K., I see. Yep, mine was very bright, but had very little woodgrain to speak of.
    It was the LP I should have held on to, and still miss.
    I have to say, tho, that my Agile LP actually plays and sounds better.......whether it will stand the test of time is another thing, but with the WCR pickups and ebony fretboard, it's every bit as good as that Custom was. Plus I prefer the honeyburst finish because it shows some really nice woodgrain.
    All I need to do now is bang it around enough to knock off the edges, put some cigarette burns in it, sweat on it 'till the hardware rusts, and I'll be all set!: :

:
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

I don't post about Gibbies because I don't own any, and can't afford 'em. My LP purchase will have to be from Rondo.

I love talking about 'em though. We do have a fairly big SG thread, and Plank's LPs are completely drool worthy : . I've played a few Gibbies and Epis, and I like 'em!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

This seems to be at least to me....a less pretentious bunch....the kind that looks for the most bang for the buck therefore we tend to look towards the bargain lines instead of the over priced and seemingly (at least at times) quality challenged Gibson's
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure they are out there, but I have yet to pick-up a Gibson that I thought had quality issues. I've picked up a lot I didn't like based on neck or design (LP, Flying V...). I'm not sure where all these tales of quality issues are coming from and I tend to think it's a bandwagon effect.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Kazz I guess I am a little bit of both. I have 5 Squiers that I bought for under 1300 dollars total. I also have an American 50th Ann. Deluxe that I paid 1500 Can. For. I don't really condsider myself "pretentious" because over the last 12 years I have scraped together a few Gibsons.
    As far as Gibsons being poorly built I have not run into that. My new 2008 Studio is an amazing guitar. Beautiful Fireburst finish, which is really only 3 color burst in Fender language. It is chambered and had a lovely tone.
    I purchased that one because our Canadian dollar was at par with the US and I was able to get it 300 off the US price.
    I have run into countless problems with budget guitars, and my feeling is that every guitar no matter what it is needs a good set up out of the box
    Too many people try a guitar out and it doesn't feel right so they think it is inferior. I try to see the potential after the set up.
    I took me 10 years before I got my first Gibson LP, and less than a year to get my second one. That one was used and very reasonably priced.
    I feel extremely lucky that I have the support of a wife of 40 years that allows me to live my dreams.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Now you are talking. I hear this all the time. "I can't afford a Gibson" I could never understand that. The guys here I won't mention any names have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on many many guitars. I think all anyone has to do is just say I want a Gibson. Then go out and get one. I recently purchased a Gibson LP Standard in mint conditon for 1400 Canadian. I also purchased an ES335 from a friend for 2 grand. That one was paid over 4 months. I also purchased an 08 Gibson Studio for 1099 brand new. I have owned a Gibson SG for 40 years.
    Epiphones are really close and for the buck they do give you a very close Gibson experience. I just don't know how to describe it but the Gibson just sound and seem to play better. Although my Elitist LP Custom is 98% there.
    I have a bunch of Fender Strats and I like them as well but the Gibsons are just sweet.
    For the record I am not a rich man and I am retired living on a fixed income.
    I hope you don't mean any one person here has spent tens of thousands on their guitars! If so, I think they're lurking only. Spuds has a batch to be sure, but quite a few of those are relatively inexpensive ones, and same with me. I added up once and my guitars cost me under $5K iirc.

I do have a couple Gibbies, but they ARE more expensive than a lot of other brands. Typically at most I may have 2 or three Benjies in my gear contingency fund, but never over $500. This makes it tough for me to buy Gibsons because I only buy when I run across a good deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian: I am a retired accountant. Math is my thing. I wasn't referring to anyone special but if I WAS referring to Spud And I am not saying this in a negative way what so ever, I don't know the total count but I have heard upwards of 50 guitars. Even at 200 dollar average what is the number? I am sure there are other guys here who have spent in that range on their total collection of guitars.
    Remember I have been in the hobby since 1969, and have recently taken it more seriously in the last 12.
    Also I didn't set out to have a large collection of guitars it just happened. LOL
    Oh and Brian I don't know how old you are but from your pictures I would say you have a lot of years of "collecting" ahead of you.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

here's a couple pics of my 85 standard

guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Stop posting such cool LP pics - makes me want to go out and buy one!

I will get one though, one day. Count on it. It just might take a while.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast