Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Why so few Gibson posts? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so few Gibson posts?

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if we had a 335 style section? I'm not sure what would generate the or stimulate the discussion. I've brought up my Dot in the Epi forum and discussed 335 style versatility, but one or two responses and it dies.

I don't think it's so much Viking, Gibson, or Epi that need to be discussed, but style of guitar.

Another thought, how about a section for hollow body and semi hb guitars?

I'm just throwing thoughts out. I think the hb and semi hb section might be something to consider.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Now you are talking. I hear this all the time. "I can't afford a Gibson" I could never understand that. The guys here I won't mention any names have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on many many guitars. I think all anyone has to do is just say I want a Gibson. Then go out and get one. I recently purchased a Gibson LP Standard in mint conditon for 1400 Canadian. I also purchased an ES335 from a friend for 2 grand. That one was paid over 4 months. I also purchased an 08 Gibson Studio for 1099 brand new. I have owned a Gibson SG for 40 years.
    Epiphones are really close and for the buck they do give you a very close Gibson experience. I just don't know how to describe it but the Gibson just sound and seem to play better. Although my Elitist LP Custom is 98% there.
    I have a bunch of Fender Strats and I like them as well but the Gibsons are just sweet.
    For the record I am not a rich man and I am retired living on a fixed income.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I like superstrats too but the general concensus I get is that the majority of regular posters "don't care for pointy guitars" so I don't mention them much either.
    Yeah, I think you, Mage, and I are the official "Pointy Club of TheFret." Of course, I don't actually have a pointy guitar, mind you. Someday . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... it's never struck me particularly that this was 'Fender place'. I enjoy the range of discussion about different guitars - electric and acoustic - guitar playing, music, toilet paper..... I tend to read from the 'latest posts' page and never have really read by sections, so hadn't noticed that perhaps there are fewer Gibson posts, looked at that way.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Do we have an Ibanez forum? If we do I can certainly do some posting there. :

I have an Agile and 2 Epiphone LPs and they all play really nice. They just get really heavy to gig with. And for the record - I've never used that certain word that Andy says everyone uses. Come on guys get a little more creative with your words would ya. Think onomatopoeia. My Strats scree bloing.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I just think of this place as a guitar forum. That's why I (long ago) posted video of my Switch Innovo. 2 EMG Select pickups, Wilkinson trem, etc.etc............
    I also love my Agile LP with the WCR pickups. It plays and sounds as good or better than the Gibson LP's I've owned.
    The one thing I've really become aware of over the years is no matter what guitar/amph/effects I buy or play.......... it always comes back to my playing, technique, touch.
    I can tell the difference in the strings, picks, volume, eq, room size/shape, and other aspects of my playing, where I couldn't at one time.
    I still struggle with phrasing, overplaying, and other aspects of "getting it right", as far as what I want to hear, but it's all good, I'm still learning, and I find new ideas and inspiration here daily.
    Am I far enough off-topic yet?
    Here's my point........ no matter what you play, no matter what you spend dollar-wise, you will have to let your ears be your guide.........
    What do you want to hear? How do you want it to sound?
    If you can't answer that, a half-million dollar '59 flametop won't help you achieve your goals. If you can answer that, you're on your way, no matter what gear you have, what it costs, who crafted it, you will find your voice.
    It's about what's best for you, not what's best.
    Now go get it.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    The guys here I won't mention any names have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on many many guitars. I think all anyone has to do is just say I want a Gibson. Then go out and get one.
    My electrics total $850 out of pocket, so you are not referring to me. Plus, the people (like me) that say they want an ES335 or whatever are just expressing a desire, not their only desire or all their desires. So, you are right they could go out and get one if they really has to have one, but they would have to put their other desires on the back burner. It all comes down to decisions, decisions, decisions.

I figure I will end up with one if a great deal falls into my lap and it will eventually.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I can't talk about Gibsons because, get this.....I don't own one. Out of my whole warehouse full of guitars you won't find a Gibson at all. I've never found one that I liked well enough to buy. I've tried many but they never got me off. The necks never felt right to me. Maybe some day when they make a decent Strat copy I might get one.
    Same here. I have tried to buy a Gibson several times but always wound up finding something I liked better (for invariably less). Years ago I was determined to buy an LP as my second guitar. Tried every one in the shop and then (I guess to clear my palate) picked up a Tele that was just instantly perfect and walked out with that. I still like the idea of a Gibson, just haven't found one. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    am particularly interested in working the 4 knobs and how more experienced 4 knobbers like to use said knobs and pick up selector.
    I've got an Eastwood Airline 3P DLX that has (at last count) 7 knobs and a 5-way switch. I think this guitar is the graduate course for experienced 4 knobbers. I spend more time fiddling with knobs than playing, but it's a fun guitar when I actually get around to playing it.

And Robert, in response to your original post, I do think that Gibsons are generally too expensive, for what you get. As to why there are almost 4 to 1 Fender to Gibson threads, maybe Fender sells 4 times as many? Just a thought...

Post Thanks / Like

Price is definitely a limiting factor. As much as I knew I wanted my ES-135, I also knew I was unlikely to be able to afford to buy it for myself. I am lucky enough to have generous parents who purchased it for me as a college graduation gift.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I can talk Gibson all day long if you want?
    'If you buy it... they will come'
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Yes JS it is all about prorities. I never spent a lot of money over the years on vacations and travel. I have been in the same home for 35 years. My hobbies were cars and guitars. I have slowly over the last 10 years worked at my dream of owning one of every Gibson. I still have a couple of Jazz boxes to get down the road. I like my Strats as well, but I am just a Gibson guy. I just love those humbuckers!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Z, I certainly wasn't disputing you, just clarifying my position as it relates to the "want" of a ES335. I do agree that if you really want it, it is attainable. However, if the income and priorities are issue, than you just have to recognize what's important.

My problem with obtaining (saving) for an ES335 - other priorities (known and yet to be known) and as I save for an ES335, a $300 or $400 deal comes along:

As for humbuckers:
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Price is definitely a limiting factor.
    +1. I'd love a genuine Gibson LP Std. or Custom, and I could certainly afford one. It's just that I choose not to drop $2500 - $3000 on a single instrument. In my world (married, one income, two kids, one in college), I consider that overpriced. But I did manage $700 for an Epi Elitist LP Std. on a closeout deal at MF 3 years ago, and after putting in better pickups (the only weak point of the guitar, IMO), I'll put it up against anything Gibson cranks out here in the US (Custom Shop instruments excepted).
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I lean more towards Gibson style guitars, I own two. I think Gibson is overpriced and has relatively poor quality control. My Les Paul had an amazing amount of orange peel in the finish. I now value Gibsons more for their contribution to guitar design and history than I value their current product.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

i love my gibson les paul special....it is one of my favorite guitars....i really want a gibson les paul standard....but i haven't been able to justify spending the bucks right now....but i will get one....someday....
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an example of why one never seems to get to the Gibson dream. My daughters car won't stay running and preliminary diagnosis = IAC valve = $270 in parts and a little more for an ohmmeter.

I just never ends.

ZMAN, why don't you drive on down and I'll turn on the heater in the garage.:
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I love My faded SG....its my go-to guitar for just about everything. Also I love my Epiphone Special.....it has a crapload of stuff I have done to it and it fits me. I think Gibbys are a different feel, and thats why on this forum its not as talked about.....I see more strat style guitars on this board than anything else.
    Why? I do not know....Hell I could be wrong and wouldn't mind being wrong. I'm a gibson guy all the way. I love strats and tele's but they don't do it for me like a sg or paul does....
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

JUSTSTRUM: I'd love to when I get out of my driveway. The plow hasn't been around yet and it stopped snowing at 6 P.M. yesterday. I have my 80 by 20 Driveway down to the pavement but cars are getting stuck on the street. More on the way tomorrow.
    Hey JS I know life comes at you fast. It just seemed when my kids left home and I retired a lot of disposable imcome suddenly became available. And I am pretty frugal in my purchases. I only paid 2000 for my 335 because it belonged to my best friend and he came on some hard luck. I paid him what he paid for it in 1990 I probably paid 500 too much but I paid him in lumps over a 4 or5 month period. not so tough then. It was almost new in the box condition. It was rarely played and had never been intonated or set up properly. I had my tech work his magic on it.
    Voodooman: I am surprised you changed the pickups. My Epi Elitist has the exact same pickups as the Studio. They have the same output readings and are USA pickups labelled for Epi. I have the Custom with all the bling. I got it on a close out as well at MF for 799. I had it delivered to my daughters in Maine and on my next visit picked it up. I agree with you 100% they are as nice as a Gibson. I love the neck on mine. It has a very nice low action. The only flaw was the usual Epi pickup selector switch. A lot of guys start looking at pickups when it is the cheap 8 dollar switch. Since then it has been perfect. I have replaced 4 out of 5 Epi switches.
    I even wrote a letter to Epiphone complaining. The really good switches are like 20 dollars.
    I have 4 Gibsons and never had a problem with a switch.
    I would not pay 2500 for an LP either the most I paid was 1400 bucks.
    One thing though guys. If your finances are secure through this recession keep and eye out for bargains. I have seen a huge increase in sales of high end guitars and amps that people HAVE to give up to live. I know it is sad but opportunity is there.
    Last edited by ZMAN; December 20th, 2008 at 04:32 PM.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Uhhh, Z you didn't say anything about the invite to help me work on my daughters car.:
    Mark

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast