Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Why so few Gibson posts? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Why so few Gibson posts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is a truly beautiful guitar. I love a well done sunburst. Very nice!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I wish the pic didn't make it look like the finish has a blemish on it (highlighted in pic below). It's just a trick of the light. The guitar isn't "vintaged" in any way.

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I would assume that there is no certain reason why so much Fender talk is going on here. We have a lot of people here, too that own a Gibson or a gibsonstyle guitar, me included and I don't feel like posting that much on my Paul. Maybe there are more poeple in this world starting out on a Fender guitar than on a Gibson guitar and you know....old love never rusts.

....did someone say Strat....: ....
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

they both are great... even Hendrix played several Gibsons,...
    les pauls,sg's,V's.
    both in the studio and on the stage.
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    I would assume that there is no certain reason why so much Fender talk is going on here. We have a lot of people here, too that own a Gibson or a gibsonstyle guitar, me included and I don't feel like posting that much on my Paul. Maybe there are more poeple in this world starting out on a Fender guitar than on a Gibson guitar and you know....old love never rusts.

....did someone say Strat....: ....
    Maybe due to the entry level price of both Squier and Fender, people are more apt to start out with one, especially the Strat that is so commonly copied as well. I started with a Squier Strat although it was not my favorite guitar, but one that was more obtainable and more prevalent on the low end of the cost scale.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

this is true ,, I sure couldn't afford a new Les paul, there are so many good guitars to be had for half the cost or less!
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Brian: I am a retired accountant. Math is my thing. I wasn't referring to anyone special but if I WAS referring to Spud And I am not saying this in a negative way what so ever, I don't know the total count but I have heard upwards of 50 guitars. Even at 200 dollar average what is the number?
    Math is not my thing, but that number would be ~10K. Since you said "tens of thousands" (plural) if the average of his collection is in fact $200/guitar, then you're off by around a factor of 100% (smallest number that'd be "tens of thousands" is 20K), right?

I'm not an accountant and don't really like math. But I am a lawyer, so I like to argue.

I am sure there are other guys here who have spent in that range on their total collection of guitars.
    Remember I have been in the hobby since 1969, and have recently taken it more seriously in the last 12.
    Also I didn't set out to have a large collection of guitars it just happened. LOL
    Oh and Brian I don't know how old you are but from your pictures I would say you have a lot of years of "collecting" ahead of you.
    Actually, my experience is pretty similar to yours, I started playing (though certainly not collecting) around 1972 or so. I had no more than a handful at most up through the 90's and have only gotten to what I consider somewhat silly numbers (22 electrics, including basses, and a couple acoustics) by steadily creeping up by one or two guitars every year or so in the last decade. I'm not consciously a "collector," but more a player who likes different sounds and looks. Though I'm in a few bands, I'm sure I could get by with a lot fewer than I currently have.

As far as my age goes, I turned 50 in May 2008, so if I'm alloted the Biblical "threescore and ten" I've got about 20 years left.

If my math is correct.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Brian I am also a Brian and a Taurus so I like to argue as well. I was using the number as a descripton of more than 5 grand so I probably should have said "Thousands", or more than 10,000. I know for a fact that a lot of guys do not really know how much they actually have tied up in guitars let alone amps and pedals. And probably don't want their wives to know either!
    To hear someone in the U.S. say that they can't afford a Gibson seems very strange to us Cannucks. They are so much more expensive here and there aren't a lot to choose from.
    Oh and as far as age goes. My Dad is 82 and still plays golf everyday in the season, so I am hoping for 20 more and I am 61.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I will admit it....when the finances are there consistently....I will have the $899 Gibson Les Paul natural mahogany....that is about as far as I dare dream with the Gibson name....it had that growl that I love and is reasonably priced way more so than the ones with the really pretty paint jobs.....the paint don't play squat!

feel free to quote that.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    I will admit it....when the finances are there consistently....I will have the $899 Gibson Les Paul natural mahogany....that is about as far as I dare dream with the Gibson name....it had that growl that I love and is reasonably priced way more so than the ones with the really pretty paint jobs.....the paint don't play squat!

feel free to quote that.
    There was a Les Paul Vintage Mahogany available locally for $550 recently, but since I already have a couple LP's (and a few other 2xHB mahogany guitars) I balked at spending that much even though I had the cash on hand.

As fate would have it a buddy of mine put a Danelectro Hodad up for under half that. I didn't have anything with lipstick pickups and only one guitar with a Bigsby, so it was a better match for my existing stuff for a lot less dosh.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never played the Les paul in the mahogany finish, but I have played the worn brown mahogany in the SG. It was a really nice guitar, it had the open coil pickups and a decent neck. In fact it really reminded me of my 68 SG. It comes with the Gibson case as well.
    I was tempted to get the LP when I found that the newer issues had the Burstbucker pickups in them. I think they were selling for under 1000 Canadian.
    I have seen them polished to a high gloss as well and they really look good.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Deep down, I think that I'm actually more of a Gibson guy, although I don't even own a Gibson. Someday, when I find a quality one, and I have lots of cash to spend on it, I'm going to snag one. Probably one of those ES-339 (which look like a great idea to me).

Back in my early years of playing guitar all of my friends had Gibsons (Les Pauls, SG's, 335's) I borrowed a really nice 335 from one of these friends and really liked it, what a sweet tone. But Gibsons were even expensive back then.

After I got into Strats I found that you could get a lot more guitar for your money with them. They seemed to be so much more versatile with the 5-pickup selector, etc. So I kind of moved away from the idea of having a Gibson. But someday I'd like to go for it and get one.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I have never played the Les paul in the mahogany finish, but I have played the worn brown mahogany in the SG. It was a really nice guitar, it had the open coil pickups and a decent neck. In fact it really reminded me of my 68 SG. It comes with the Gibson case as well.
    I was tempted to get the LP when I found that the newer issues had the Burstbucker pickups in them. I think they were selling for under 1000 Canadian.
    I have seen them polished to a high gloss as well and they really look good.
    An internet buddy of mine polished his, as well as installing a wrap bridge, it's on the right below:

Post Thanks / Like

I have that wrap bridge on my 1968 SG, it has P90s as well. It has the vibrolo tail piece so I didn't wrap the strings. It is all original. Alot of guys do that with their regular stop piece. They say it gives more sustain. I am not sure on that one. There is very little adjustment with that bridge.

That Gibson LP looks very familiar my Standard is identical except for the pickups and if I hadn't seen the headstock I would have thought the Gold top was a Gibby.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I have that wrap bridge on my 1968 SG, it has P90s as well. It has the vibrolo tail piece so I didn't wrap the strings. It is all original. Alot of guys do that with their regular stop piece. They say it gives more sustain. I am not sure on that one.
    I don't know about more sustain but top-wrapping does change the angle that the strings hit the bridge, and some say it reduces string-break at the bridge as a result. Sometimes, if I remember to, I top-wrap my B and high E strings for that reason.

If I hadn't seen the headstock I would have thought the Gold top was a Gibby.
    Yeah, it's an old Agile, before they got the cease and desist letter from Gibson and had to change the horn and headstock.

Post Thanks / Like

ive been a long time player of gretsch and fender guitars for years and up untill now ive had one gibson a j200 and always thought of getting another so i finally made the decision and bought one .

es 335 sunburst 50th anniversary

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/368307...s81529_lg1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g6120
    ive been a long time player of gretsch and fender guitars for years and up untill now ive had one gibson a j200 and always thought of getting another so i finally made the decision and bought one .

That's a very tasty guitar. I must admit - I started out with a Squier for two weeks, then bought a BC Rich Warlock...then another Warlock...Then my Jackson superstrat.

Well, in all honesty, I don't have much experience with Fender or Gibson (I'm skint) but I bought a 335 style guitar recently and it rips! I love it! If this counts in the discussion about Gibsons, then I'm in!

There's just something about them 335's. A lot of people seem to like them, and for good reason, in my opinion! They are very versatile guitars, and that, also in my opinion, is something that Gibson definitely had going for them in the early days, with V's, SG's, LP's, and ES's. They can just about cover the spectrum. You really only need a Strat and Tele after that.

And a warlock

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhhh "Top Wrapping" so thats what you call it.

When I got my BB1200 the strings had been wrapped over the tail piece, you could tell because there were ugly wear marks where the strings had worn into the metal. I kinda wondered why they previous owner (who was a professional touring musician) would have done that, and then changed back. Now I know why I guess. In any case I've since replaced the tail piece for a nice shiny new one and strung it "traditionally".

Back OT though. I am also much, much more a fan of Gibson style guitars than Fenders. The only reason I don't actually have a couple of LP's and/or SG's or a nice HB is because every time I went to buy one, I played a Maton that sounded and felt better. Hence the brother and sister Maton's in my gallery

So yeah, bring on the hum bucking "four knobber" (loved that term) discussions, I'm all in

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g6120

Congrats! That's one sweet guitar! :
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast