Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New Guitar Day/Happy Christmas to Me!

Thread: New Guitar Day/Happy Christmas to Me!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up New Guitar Day/Happy Christmas to Me!

Well today a guitar fell into my lap, as they have a way of doing.

I was considering trying to buy a Les Paul Vintage Mahogany someone had listed locally on Craigslist, but I already have 2 Gibby LP's and frankly it wouldn't have been that different from what I already have. Plus it would've exhausted the rainy day fund, and once it gets up over a couple hundred I'd rather not do that unless it's something I REALLY want.

Day before yesterday I spotted something intriguing, and much cheaper, on Craigslist. A Danelectro Hodad. These are from the same era as the reissues, but the design is a new one, not a 60's classic redone. Basically they took a Mosrite silhouette and equipped it with 2 pairs of splittable lipstick humbuckers. Came with or without Bigsby, this one was with (yay!).

I'd never had a guitar with lipsticks, so this was a better addition than the LP VM, and much cheaper. Asking $250, which is on the low end of what they seem to be going for on Ebay.

Turns out the seller is an old acquaintance of mine from the local scene. He's the one I got the incredible trade deal on my beater Ric 620 from. Under other circumstances I would've bargained harder, but the asking price was fair to begin with and the seller was a longtime acquaintance of mine. I told him under other circumstances, if it were someone else, I might've bargained more, but since it was him, hey, Merry Christmas.

I'm still undecided on whether it was a good karma thing to do, or I'm just a chump.

At any rate, it's blue sparkle. Has a couple finish chips on the back but otherwise is in good shape, though in need of a fresh set of strings. When I bought this Dano off him today, he asked if I still had the Ric. I told him yeah, it was a keeper. He said if I ever wanted to sell it, call him first.

Here's the pic he posted, sorry about the quality:

Here's the original Danelectro web page re: the Hodad.

Mine's deep blue rather than purple or the light blue pictured.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, that's exciting!

That Hodad looks like a pretty kewl Doodad!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Krash, I've never held one of those, it sure looks kool.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Managed to take a couple pics. Computer crashed last week and haven't reloaded software to brighten pics, so they're a bit dark, but at least they're an improvement over the camera-phone pic from the seller.

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty unique. : Good thing you got it because you really needed another guitar right? Is it loud?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    That's pretty unique. : Good thing you got it because you really needed another guitar right? Is it loud?
    I've only had a chance to play it for a few minutes at the seller's place, amplified. Lipsticks are low output, but I have no prob with that.

Acoustically it is quite a bit louder than a typical solidbody, because of Danos' unique (some would say crappy) construction. Basically a couple sheets of pressboard on a plywood frame. Very light, and mostly hollow.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great, Brian.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! That is a great guitar!!!!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, that is one funky lookin' axe, and I mean that in a good way!:
    Congrats...........hey, if you get a chance later, let us know how you like the various p/u combinations.........sounds interesting.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I love guitars like that.

Very cool. Tell us how the lipsticks sound & how well they split.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I love guitars like that.

Very cool. Tell us how the lipsticks sound & how well they split.
    There's a neat demo video on youtube wiith a guy with crazy big rockabilly hair playing one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FiHikn30Ks

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet looking ax, man! Good score Brian! :

Post Thanks / Like

nice find brian.....good addition to your herd!
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah