Thread: Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp

Anyone used one? They rave about it on harmony central and I just happened to find one...

You can see the ad here in swedish, but the picture is enough to understand my fear for a fatal g.a.s attack...

http://www.blocket.se/vi/8619668.htm?ca=21_s
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

To further complicate the GAS, add this to the pressure buildup. I have NEVER, never heard a bad sounding Mesa/Boogie rig or combo, especially with a clean sound. They are pricey, though...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Neither have I...

I wonder how good the built in speaker sim is on a 20 year old unit..
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one. You could have bought mine. I took it to Canada when I moved. I got a power converter thingy but it was so much stuff to haul, and I couldn't get that bluesy tube tone I now have through with my cheap Vox.

Good preamp, but too much 80s sounding for me. I don't "believe" in the preamp+power amp solution - good combos or heads usually sound better to my ears.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess I got some mesa/boogie fever.. If you think that the Vox ADxx/tonelab sounds better than the studio preamp then I will be better of without one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Well I guess I got some mesa/boogie fever.. If you think that the Vox ADxx/tonelab sounds better than the studio preamp then I will be better of without one.
    Yep, modeling technology has increased by leaps and bound over the older stuff...
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the ´lab sounds amazing, but I am considering getting a preamp of some kind to further expand the tonal possibilites...

Post Thanks / Like

Swede, what are you using for an amph?
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I only use the tonelab... I dont currently own a real amp (well a little champ but I dont count that )