Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The V Pick and Some Crow

Thread: The V Pick and Some Crow

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The V Pick and Some Crow

Just a quick blurp about these V picks. I received some today and I am going to give my first impression:

I used my Stubby's to do the comparison (1.0m to 3.0mm). Since Stubby's are my favorites, I figured that should be the bar for my personal comparison.

Pro:

The thick ones play a lot easier than what one would expect and to my surprise they do offer a different tone when compared to my Stubby's. The thicker V picks offered a deeper tone. I used the one with the pointier corners and the one with the more rounded corners. I also think that it provides more versatility when it comes to angle of attack. These comments are based on picking notes and little strumming. I will use them for awhile before giving overall comments.

I also received the V-pick Ultra Lite and Lite. Here I noticed little difference and that's not a bad thing considering how much I like my Stubby's.

All are comfortable and as advertised seem to allow you a looser grip (not sure why).

Cons

I'm not sold on value yet, so I am leaving that door open until I have used them a couple of days.

One definite con - Vinni, buy some colored pellet material. These may offer a nice grip, but they do fall and us blind people have a hell of a time finding them when they are more than 3' from our eyes.

Now the crow, you probably thought I was going to admit to having to eat some, well think again.

I was referring to Crowes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_Q1...10209&index=13
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Caw caw caw...

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Caw caw caw...
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

ok...so I jumped in here to see if Mark was really going to admit to having to eat Crow.......but man.....those Robinson boys really have it....The Black Crowes are true American Rock n Roll at its best. They to this date are still probably the best show I have ever seen...and definitely the best price...at $7.00 to see them play with the Jayhawks opening in Evansville Indiana.....no frills....the stage backdrop and lighthing consisted of cargo netting with the big old style Christmas lights....
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I think crows are cool birds, pretty darn smart as well

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ow&hl=en&emb=0

Post Thanks / Like

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I played with mine last night and liked them. I thought I noticed a difference right off. As compared to a Fender Heavy, the other pick I had handy, I had less string noise strumming, and my strumming was smoother. Especially with the thicker rounder one. I could see really preferring this pick when I am playing rhythm. The thinner, pointier one was a closer in comparison to my normal Fender heavys and Tortex ones I normally use. The thicker pointier one might be a good compromise pick. It seemed to still be pretty smooth strumming, and felt a bit more accurate and quick for me for lead type picking as compared to the even thicker, more rounded one. I need to continue to play more with them and see, but I am impressed so far.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I'm getting similar results with the thicker ones, except I like the pointed ones over the rounded one I have, although both have surprised me. The ones I have are of different thicknesses and a couple I didn't see on the website.

Large pointed

Rounded

When it comes to the 0.85 and 1.50, I found them to be no better than my Stubby's and probably would give the edge to the Stubby's possible because I am accustom to them.

As for the thicker ones, I agree they do play smooth and the more I used it, the more control I developed.

As for cost, the thinner ones would not hold much value, at least for now. The thicker ones would be of value, but I will have to break my habit of losing picks at a rather rapid rate. I've already misplaced a couple and because of being clear, I didn't realize they were nearby. I took a Sharpie and put an asterisk on each of them (my idea Vinni, I want a cut if you incorporate that idea)
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, let's get back on topic here, this thread is about crows.

Post Thanks / Like

Psst... Those are Magpies

Keep on topic will ya!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Ok but..magpies are passerine birds of the crow family, Corvidae.

Corvidae is a cosmopolitan family of oscine passerine birds that contains the crows, ravens, rooks, jackdaws, jays, magpies, treepies, choughs and nutcrackers. The common English name used is corvids (more technically) or the crow family (more informally), and there are over 120 species. The genus Corvus, including the crows and ravens, makes up over a third of the entire family.

compliments of wikipedia

sorry, I'm a little board.