Thread: Question about voltage switch

pes_laul Guest

Default Question about voltage switch

Here is a qoute tooken out of the manual for my amp:

"12. Voltage Select Switch:Set this switch to "115" for 120 VAC mains, and to "230" for 220-240 VAC mains."

Could somebody elaborate on this a little? Is one like louder than the other?

-Kris

Post Thanks / Like

Step away from the voltage switch and turn around slowly. This should have been set correctly by the importer or dealer.

To save producing a different version of the amp with power transformers for each market, the manufacturers have opted to use a "universal" transformer which needs to be switched for the voltage available. You MUST leave this set to the "115" setting for the US. It would pay to check that you have the right value fuse for your voltage. Check in the amp's specifications.

Old "international model" Fenders had a rotary switch which allowed 110, 115, 120, 220, 230 and 240 volt settings.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Step away from the voltage switch and turn around slowly. This should have been set correctly by the importer or dealer.

To save producing a different version of the amp with power transformers for each market, the manufacturers have opted to use a "universal" transformer which needs to be switched for the voltage available. You MUST leave this set to the "115" setting for the US. It would pay to check that you have the right value fuse for your voltage. Check in the amp's specifications.

Old "international model" Fenders had a rotary switch which allowed 110, 115, 120, 220, 230 and 240 volt settings.
    ok cool. I was getting curious and usually good things don't come from curiosity:

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember Kris, nothing good ever happens when you say..
    "Hey watch this ! "

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Just remember Kris, nothing good ever happens when you say..
    "Hey watch this ! "
    Rednecks Famous last words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"

ba da dum psh:

Post Thanks / Like

Pes , good advice was given, some other land far away might use the higher voltages as a norm. In the good ole USA we like our wall outlets to have 115 to120 volts.

Post Thanks / Like

240v is standard in the UK, and I think the rest of Europe as well (although they might use 230v, I'm not sure).
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was stationed over in the UK, had lots of people bring in home entertainment gear they brought over from the states that they forgot to switch over to 240 before plugging it in the first time. It is true that all electronic gear runs on smoke and not electricity, and once you let it out you can never get it back in again.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

ah yes.. the mysterious blue smoke, how do they get that smoke in there anyway ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tibernius
    240v is standard in the UK, and I think the rest of Europe as well (although they might use 230v, I'm not sure).
    240v in NZ too, some of the time
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, don't touch that switch until Hippy Militia goes on it's first world tour.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

If you would have switched that to 230....it would have went boom really quick.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

pes_laul Guest

I wonder if green machine in NZ has his switched to 230?