Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you all think of this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you all think of this?

Hello,

I am really bloated and the GAS is unbearable. I can't build a neck through for this price, do you think this would be any good to play around with? It says mahagony but is probably Agathis but might sound pretty good. It has a nice contour at the neck/body area.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1256.html

Thank you for your time and help.

M

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that if Kurt says it's mahogany, then that's what it is. I'd also guess that the Floyd copy would be crap, but at that price . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

You've got to get one so we'll know what they are like. Looks pretty nice.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead, for that price you can afford to mod it, and if it doesn't need upgrading, you win big!

Pretty wood, and it does look like mahogany.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Mahogany, but if they want to call it

"Mahoganny" Then who am I to quibble LMAO.....Maho Ganny? Is that some new Hawaiian salutation for a Grandmother?

Seriously I love the "Au Natural" look on guitars and that would be one I would snatch up. I would plan on upgrading the floyd and the pups that guitar just screams Hair Metal to me.....

It also for some reason is whispering....blues blues blues blues to me.....hmmm now where did I hide the beano.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty nice when you can buy a guitar,as nice as that cheaper than a fret job.And that's a Fret job,not what your thinking.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Agathis is Mahogany family, and sounds very similar or identical to Mahogany. Although looking at the guitar I'd say it is Mahogany.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

Give it a shot! You have the woodworking skills to fix it if it breaks, so why not?

: :
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I like the look of it a lot M! Very nice lines to it :
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I think I am going to have to pass for now. The wife has been noticing too many guitars around here lately...Hmm........I may have to make one and let it be seen over time. It doesn't have the same effect that way

M

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Tibernius
    Agathis is Mahogany family, and sounds very similar or identical to Mahogany. Although looking at the guitar I'd say it is Mahogany.
    ALthough I agree about them sounding similar, sfaik agathis isn't in the mahogany family, it's an Asian pine variety, of all things. I had a DeArmond M-75 that was agathis and it was fecking heavy. Sounded like mahogany all right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    ALthough I agree about them sounding similar, sfaik agathis isn't in the mahogany family, it's an Asian pine variety, of all things. I had a DeArmond M-75 that was agathis and it was fecking heavy. Sounded like mahogany all right.
    Yep, Brian is correct, Agathis is a conifer. It's considered to be one of the hardest of the "soft woods" (think pine family), therefore it's used extensively for things like sailboat masts, or siding. It actually has a moisture content very similar to Douglas fir, and has a high resin content as well. Although it is sometimes refered to as "commercial grade mahogany", it's not a mahogany at all. Still, it makes for a decent tone wood on guitar bodies (as seen with many an Ibanez).

Usually when a guitar company is trying to pass a cheap wood off as mahogany, they use Nato. Nato is a soft "hardwood" that looks and sounds similar to cheap mahogany. To say it's a tone wood is misleading though. It doesn't look, sound, or last like real Honduran or even African mahogany. Asian made guitars like some Epiphones and Samicks (to name just two), use or have used Nato, often calling it "mahogany". I had a Samick LP knock off once that was made of Nato. The wood grain was not as defined nor was the color as dark, as real mahogany. It didn't sound like good mahogany either...much brighter tone.

Kurt's descriptions regarding wood types used on Rondo marketed guitars are usually pretty accurate. I've never seen an actual case where he tried to pass Nato off as mahogany...but that doesn't necessarily mean it's never happened. To support this I refer to my SX SST Mahogany w/P-90's. The body is definitely mahogany in appearance and tonally qualities, yet the guitar only cost me $109.99. So I guess they can manufacture a cheap guitar and still use real mahogany.

Post Thanks / Like

I tell thee what M29 - I had a flick through the Rondo pages not too long ago and had a little bit of GAS due to that very guitar. I was able to fart it out, but I'd still say go for it.

Nice detailed description of woods, btw, Bloozcat. I was always under the impression that Nato was a decent wood, but from the sounds of it, I should try and avoid it now. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers M, now you have me gassing for one!!!! Thanks a lot!
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    Nice detailed description of woods, btw, Bloozcat. I was always under the impression that Nato was a decent wood, but from the sounds of it, I should try and avoid it now. . .
    It's not that Nato is bad wood, it's just that it's often passed off as mahogany. People often react to being deceived like this by pointing to the wood as "bad", when in actuality, it's just not what they were led to believe they were getting. Some people find mahogany sweet sounding, but too dark for their tastes. For them, Nato might be perfect. I know a couple of people who have Samicks made with Nato and they love the tone.

I don't think I'd be worried with Kurt at Rondo, though. If he says it's mahogany, it's probably mahogany. But to be sure, you could just e-mail him. He's very responsive to questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt has never been known for false advertising. He also offers a 30 days return policy. If you don't like it...send it back!
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger
    He also offers a 30 days return policy. If you don't like it...send it back!
    Not always!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Not always!
    ??????? That's pretty vague. Care to expound? I've never had problems nor have I talked to anyone who has.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    ??????? That's pretty vague. Care to expound? I've never had problems nor have I talked to anyone who has.
    Old news. I posted about it long ago...
    Here's the thread: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10459

Just to pacify all the Kurt/Rondo devotees: "Everybody should buy all their guitars from Rondo."
    Last edited by Rocket; June 17th, 2009 at 07:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast